I'm running away

Caretaker

7 hours ago, Zealot said:

Agreed.  Constant vigilance required.

Don't agree.  When I run in the city, I mostly run on sidewalks.  I always yield to traffic when I need to cross a street.  When I run around home, I run into the traffic, so I am watching for the cars.  I am not a nuisance to people trying to drive.  

22 hours ago, smudge said:

Earbuds are evil. Runners with earbuds are especially evil!

You'd be much safer with the circus. Good luck with that! :D

The law in Maryland is strange. No restriction on walkers/runners. Cyclists and auto drivers are not allowed to wear earbuds or headphones that cover both ears - except cyclists are allow to do so on State paved trails, which is ridiculous!  I've had several encounters with people oblivious to the danger they're stepping in front of while wearing earbuds.  I have a one-ear bluetooth earpiece that I use to listen to music when I'm walking or cycling. It's only mono but still enjoyable and safe and one-touch of the front lets me answer phone calls.

59c797a6bfb62_PlantronicsExplorer50BluetoothHeadset.jpg.5195941d55bf996eba57bceeac16e0c3.jpg

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Don't agree.  When I run in the city, I mostly run on sidewalks.  I always yield to traffic when I need to cross a street.  When I run around home, I run into the traffic, so I am watching for the cars.  I am not a nuisance to people trying to drive.  

Sorry SW. I come across too many runners with earbuds in, running in the middle of multiple use paths or duos and triplets of runners stretched across said paths who cannot hear me yelling at them until I am on top of them that I am approaching. And you never know which way they will move. 

I've personally found it safer to just not warn them and them pass through whatever hole I anticipate to be there as I near.

1 hour ago, Zealot said:

Sorry SW. I come across too many runners with earbuds in, running in the middle of multiple use paths or duos and triplets of runners stretched across said paths who cannot hear me yelling at them until I am on top of them that I am approaching. And you never know which way they will move. 

Ahh, yes, this is a real pain.  I despise MUPs and will not ride on them if there is an alternative.  I've yelled "On your left" to a deaf audience far too many times.

1 hour ago, Zealot said:

I've personally found it safer to just not warn them and them pass through whatever hole I anticipate to be there as I near.

Yup, I do the same.

Just like not all cyclists are a burden to those who want to drive a car (i.e., I either ride alone or ride single file), not all runners are a nuisance.  I make sure I always give the cars the right of way, and since I run toward them, I always see them.

• Heart 1