What are your favourite quotes?

Wilbur

I am fond of this one because it so accurate.. Abe was a bright fellow which unfortunately, is an uncommon gift. 

"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."

Abraham Lincoln

Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/abrahamlin110340.html

19 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I am fond of this one because it so accurate.. Abe was a bright fellow which unfortunately, is an uncommon gift. 

"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."

Abraham Lincoln

I always thought Captain Penny came up with that.

Oh yeah - he changed the ending to "you can't fool mom." :D

• Heart 1

30 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Abraham Lincoln

It is a good quote but the evidence linking it to Lincoln is tenuous.

In conclusion, Jacques Abbadie should be credited with the interesting precursor statement in French. QI believes based on current evidence that Abraham Lincoln probably did not employ this well-known adage.

QI speculates that someone in the prohibitionist movement was exposed directly or indirectly to the works of Jacques Abbadie or Denis Diderot. He or she began to use the expression on or before 1885, and by 1886 the words were reassigned to Lincoln who was revered by many as a moral paragon.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/12/11/cannot-fool/

I have several ---

If hunger isn't the problem then food isn't the answer.  (no idea who said it first but geez it is true.)

The best recreation is to do good.
~ William Penn, 1644-1718

“I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again…” – Stephen Grellet

• Heart 2

I had a client who had numerous clever quotes posted in his office but one really resonated with me: "Use all the brains you got and all that you can borrow."  

I also like this one said to me by one of my managers at his wits end trying to deal with numerous staff issues.... "You know, this wouldn't be a half bad job if it wasnt for the fucking people."

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists.” - Hedley Lamar.

• Awesome 1

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." - Rush

"Harsh names, derision, and contempt are coarse and cheap commodities, the stock of the hucksters in literature who cannot deal in more valuable wares." - Noah Webster

• Heart 1