Manor Kill Falls

Thaddeus Kosciuszko

4 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

How good are your MTB skills

I once went on an MTB ride with an experienced MTB rider, and he pronounced my skills as 'interesting and entertaining'.

I went on another ride, not so much an MTB ride but more of a trail ride, and faceplanted in the middle of a rather large mud puddle.  Oh wait, I think that was the one you saw and regretted not getting the video with your phone...

All that being said, I'm up to considering most any kind of adventure despite my dearth of MTB skills provided there's an opportunity for me to lie about what actually happened and save myself from complete disgrace.  As far as free time is concerned I know at least the next two weekends my time is committed to others but after that I may be able to set time aside for myself.

18 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

All that being said, I'm up to considering most any kind of adventure despite my dearth of MTB skills

I haven't ridden it yet,  but I can tell you the first section from Bear Creek Road is a wide open gravel road - easy.

The second 3.8 mile section is billed as "snowmobile trail". How accessible Sand Lake Falls is from the trail is up for grabs, too.

(And don't forget - there's no law north of Remsen).

We started to hike it, but Gus was done after two miles.

25 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I haven't ridden it yet,  but I can tell you the first section from Bear Creek Road is a wide open gravel road - easy.

The second 3.8 mile section is billed as "snowmobile trail". How accessible Sand Lake Falls is from the trail is up for grabs, too.

Hey FROS, that's the website I've used for my hiking weekends in the Adirondacks. Some good info on there.

TK- Nice pics.

15 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

that's the website I've used for my hiking weekends in the Adirondacks

Gotta be better than the guidebook we have that says the trail to Ok Slip Falls is "suitable for children". ?

The website for the Link Trail is very similar and the info is good. (Which, BTW if you ever deign to visit the rotten core of the state, I can play trail guide on)

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

OK I'm in.  I think the longer route might be better than the bog route though.  Looking for the Falls, if they're not visible from the trail, will just be another dimension to the adventure.

I have to hand it to you, you do find great rides. :nodhead:

45 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

You do understand the second reason that these are called falls don't you?  Please be careful out there.

I do appreciate your very kind concern.  In those situations I typically have a back up plan and a back up back up plan if things start to go wrong, but you've made a fair point: an epitaph of 'He died trying' isn't the most impressive...

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I think the longer route might be better than the bog route though. 

The route from Bear Creek is driveable for the first half. I know, because a car passed us on its way out. ? Snowmobile trails in there are typically rideable with some massive mudholes (I’ve ridden and hiked in to Chub Pond). The route from Bear Creek is also the “high ground” - which, given the fact that there’s only about 3” of soil before you hit rock doesn’t mean much.

9 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

an epitaph of 'He died trying' isn't the most impressive...

Who cares about the epitaph? I wanna know about the will - “Did he leave me his bikes?”