Age Limit on Trick or Treating?

petitepedal

I think that having teenagers trick or treating is weird but better then out causing trouble.  Costumes should be mandatory.  The best way to handle this would be to put very specific hours on the treat gathering--- say 5;30 to 7:30 only.  Then no one of any age after that.

20 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Looks like some cheesehead town wants to start fining kids over 16 for trick or treating

The spirit of trick or treating at Halloween was about elementary aged (or younger) children in costume, and their innocence and joy in the pretend and play.  Somewhere or sometime along the way teen-aged adolescents figured it was an easy way to score some free candy, often without even an effort to don a costume.

So what happens invariably in cases like this where overt greed elbows aside common sense, some politician jumps up and yells "There oughtta be a LAW!" He tries to legislate behavior by force using the government's authority where neither force nor authority is needed.

When teenagers show up on my porch, especially without costume or with a particularly lame one, and (if you'll pardon the gender assignment) the young men have several day's growth of beard and the young ladies with them are obviously of the same age, I take a simple approach.

I tell them I'm running low on candy, and ask them if they wouldn't mind too much if I kept what was left for the little kids.

What can they say? "No, gimme the candy, because I need it more than the little kids!"?  They have to say 'ok' or they out themselves as freebie-grubbing and selfish.

And it also provides me with a not-so-subtle way to remind them that they are too old to be out trick or treating, too. 

• Heart 1

Legislation is not the answer. I don't think teenagers should be going trick or treating but making it a law is stupid. How will that be enforced? "Hey Batman, you got an id?" i keep two bowls behind the door. One with the chocolate bars are for the little ones. The second has sugar free lollipops for the teens.

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

Legislation is not the answer. I don't think teenagers should be going trick or treating but making it a law is stupid. How will that be enforced? "Hey Batman, you got an id?" i keep two bowls behind the door. One with the chocolate bars are for the little ones. The second has sugar free lollipops for the teens.

My thoughts exactly.  We went through this with my son and at around 16 I told him forget it, You are too old I'll just buy you a bag of candy.  At that age the dude was like 6' and was starting to grow facial hair.  He had no business out trick or treating and was fine with the candy.

• Heart 4

22 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

We do the double standard for give aways too.  The little one's get much more than just a lolly pop.