Proof "There Ain't No Law North of Remsen"

Thaddeus Kosciuszko

Parts of New York State in the late 1800's and early 1900's experienced a decided lack of law enforcement, and the Adirondacks were no exception.  This 'informal' approach to the law led to a saying "There ain't no law north of Remsen."

Today few people have ever heard of this saying, and most of those would scoff at it.  But here is the proof before your very own eyes that the lawlessness in the area of Remsen and to the north remains a problem yet today:

lawless.jpg.fd7dc7c216c4fbf0aac908c09d800c51.jpg

• Awesome 1

Now wait just a damned minute! That old saying is just not true!

I can PROVE that there was indeed law north of Remsen!

My great-great grandfather was the first constable for the Town of Forestport. Elected to office in March of 1870, when the town was formed.

(Of course given that he walked out on his wife and kids - or she threw him out - and he was probably a drunk, I’m assuming he wasn’t the most diligent constable, but still....)

24 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

My great-great grandfather was the first constable for the Town of Forestport. Elected to office in March of 1870, when the town was formed.

(Of course given that he walked out on his wife and kids - or she threw him out - and he was probably a drunk, I’m assuming he wasn’t the most diligent constable, but still....)

Fn of Forestport.

7 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

You ever read about how the fine people of Forestport sabotaged the canal just to make more work? 

3 hours ago, Zackny said:

You ever read about how the fine people of Forestport sabotaged the canal just to make more work? 

Oh, forsooth!  Such fine upstanding citizens would never perform such an evil measure for the mean and small reason of making a fast dollar!

Well, at least the fine and upstanding citizens would never get convicted of it anyway...

37 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Oh, forsooth!  Such fine upstanding citizens would never perform such an evil measure for the mean and small reason of making a fast dollar!

Well, at least the fine and upstanding citizens would never get convicted of it anyway...

Of course they wouldn't get convicted, the constable was their leader.?

42 minutes ago, Zackny said:

Of course they wouldn't get convicted, the constable was their leader.?

I’ve often wondered about that, since I think he was in the area at the time.

But I think he was too shiftless to even take advantage of a windfall like that.