A Patient

Parr8hed

He is here with family.  Up from Houston.  Doesn't know when he is going to go back home.  Apparently before the storm came in the weather was pretty rough.  Driving on the expressway, little visibility.  Someone was running from the cops and crashed.  Jumped out of their car and ran across several lanes of the expressway trying to get away.  My patient didn't see them and ran them over.  The person died later on at the hospital.

This just really sucks for this guy.  You can see it in his face that he's taking hard.  

What do you tell him?

3 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

He is here with family.  Up from Houston.  Doesn't know when he is going to go back home.  Apparently before the storm came in the weather was pretty rough.  Driving on the expressway, little visibility.  Someone was running from the cops and crashed.  Jumped out of their car and ran across several lanes of the expressway trying to get away.  My patient didn't see them and ran them over.  The person died later on at the hospital.

This just really sucks for this guy.  You can see it in his face that he's taking hard.  

What do you tell him?

He helped the cops, he's a hero.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

:D

People usually don't run from the cops for no reason, and you don't try that hard after crashing the car unless you did something pretty bad.  He was desperate to get away from the cops for a reason.

• Heart 1

That he is no way responsible for the poor choices that the dead criminal made.  He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time through no fault of his own.  If he did not hit the guy, the car in front of him, or behind him or beside him would have done the same thing.   

When you are the victim of circumstances beyond your control, you are not guilty.

Wow, that's a tough one. Maybe the guy was a bad guy. No, the driver wasn't at fault. Doesn't matter; he still killed someone. I cannot imagine how bad he feels right now. I guess listen when you can, offer empathy, DON'T say, "I understand," because you don't. None of us do. Patience, kindness. Encouragement. 

Man, that's a tough one. Good luck to you and your patient. 

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

What do you tell him?

That would depend first upon whether

-he's open to any consolation or comment, and

-he's going to listen if you offer any

If the the answer to either is 'no' or 'probably not', then I'd keep my mouth shut and my eyes and ears open for an opportunity when he seems more ready for a conversation