Mohs Surgery

az_cyclist

I was diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma in August, a place on my right bicep.  I had this surgery yesterday, where they remove the cancer a layer at a time and examine the layer for cancer cells.  They said most procedures are 3 or less;  mine was 2 if you dont count getting stitched.  I get the stitches out in 2 weeks, but the doctor said no exercise.  She said the capillaries need time to heal and the additional blood flow would interfere with that.  I am guessing after about 10 days I might cheat a bit and get out on the bike.  I wont lift for the full 2 weeks for sure.

my BP before they stared was 130 / 81, and my resting HR was 49.

• Heart 4

13 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Yikes!

I imagine healing would be much faster for you, seeing that all your energy will now be going into healing rather than pushing a bike.  I am guessing 7 days before you ride again.

probably 10 days.... but 7 just might be the winning answer

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Seriously, what did your cancer look like?  Symptoms?

I never really took a pic of it.  at first.... 3 years ago, the skin was just kind of dry.  eventually a lesion started to form.  I didnt think it got that much bigger but it was an inch or so by this summer.

• Awesome 1

Just now, az_cyclist said:

I never really took a pic of it.  at first.... 3 years ago, the skin was just kind of dry.  eventually a lesion started to form.  I didnt think it got that much bigger but it was an inch or so by this summer.

Not itchy or painful?  Just curious.  I've spent many years in the sun and have numerous "skin things".  No lesions, though.

Mine was a patch of rough skin. Toweling off after a shower, it started to bleed a little. It would scab over, get smaller & then I'd knock the scab off & start the whole thing over again. About month # 4 , and due for my annual look-see at the derm doc, he took a healthy scrape & sent it off. A week later they said c'mon back in. He took a healthy Mohs scrape, look at it then took another smaller scrape & stitched me up.

No pain, no itching.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Mine was a patch of rough skin. Toweling off after a shower, it started to bleed a little. It would scab over, get smaller & then I'd knock the scab off & start the whole thing over again. About month # 4 , and due for my annual look-see at the derm doc, he took a healthy scrape & sent it off. A week later they said c'mon back in. He took a healthy Mohs scrape, look at it then took another smaller scrape & stitched me up.

No pain, no itching.

Mine was much like this.  Sort of round thingee with a lesion in the center that would not heal.  

• Awesome 1

When I had one removed from my bicep I left the doctor' office and went straight into work. I don't recall any restrictions but after work the guys in the shower saw the four inch incision all stitched up and asked what happened. I told them I had a skin cancer cut out before I came into work. They thought I was nuts.

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

When I had one removed from my bicep I left the doctor' office and went straight into work. I don't recall any restrictions but after work the guys in the shower saw the four inch incision all stitched up and asked what happened. I told them I had a skin cancer cut out before I came into work. They thought I was nuts.

The doctor said I only had a 2 " incision..... I am guessing 1 week before back on the bike!

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

You are one tough guy LJ--- I think you truly are the forum badass--- sorry Buff Jim, you have been dethroned.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Airehead said:

You are one tough guy LJ--- I think you truly are the forum badass--- sorry Buff Jim, you have been dethroned.

Not sure about that, Jim did a solo coast to coast. The furthest I've gone solo is 350 miles  . WOLJ was not happy about it either. She doesn't want me doing multi-day rides solo.

• Awesome 1