It was really yucky

Airehead

Today a deer ran through our parking lot, was clipped by a bus, and then crashed through a classroom window.  Staff screaming, kids traumaticized, glass and blood everywhere.  He was a 10 pt buck.  My emergency phone went off with a call that said, Emergency in room 13, nursing, supervisors, and security please report.  That will get your adrenaline follow in first thing in the morning.

• Heart 1

I am glad it was just a deer.  You hear that these days and you think it is something else.

We are starting into the rut season, right?  

There is a giant buck that sleeps in our yard on most nights.  All my neighbors tell me about him.  I am always asleep, when he comes.  My trees have been getting scraped up pretty badly.  There is poop piles all over the yard.  He beds down near my lilac bush with some females.  He likes our yard for some reason.

• Heart 1

Nara Japan is the city of the messengers of god (sacred deer).  They roam the city at will.  People feed them and it is illegal to injure one.  Kirby, Airhead, DH you'd all like it there.  It is my favorite city in Japan as it isn't as crowded as the larger cities.

image.jpg

Once a year there is a ceremony where the monks capture all of the deer and saw off the antlers so they are less of a danger to people.

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Nara Japan is the city of the messengers of god (sacred deer).  They roam the city at will.  People feed them and it is illegal to injure one.  Kirby, Airhead, DH you'd all like it there.

image.jpg

Once a year there is a ceremony where the monks capture all of the deer and saw off the antlers so they are less of a danger to people.

I was just about to ask about that, as I read your post.  I thought..."Do the citizens ever get gored by the bucks?"

18 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I was just about to ask about that, as I read your post.  I thought..."Do the citizens ever get gored by the bucks?"

My oldest son almost lost an eye to one.  He was sitting on a park bench when one came up from behind and tried to steal the apple he was eating.  The antlers just hit the side of his head.

The ceremony is quite interesting as the monks sort of travel in groups, tackle a deer and hold it down while one makes the antlers safe.  Tomorrow when I am back down in the secret lab on the mainframe I will try to post some pics, maybe even the one where one is taking a nibble of womaxx's butt because she is not feeding him fast enough.  :P  She was surrounded by about 6 at the time and they can get quite aggressive due to complete lack of fear of people.

I said it was illegal to injure one.  Until just a few years ago the penalty was death.  That was a very old law carried on the books because no one ever expected it to be enforced in modern years.  A few years ago it was cleared from the books by an activist prosecutor who opened a capital case against a gentleman who killed one by accident with a car.  They couldn't execute the man so the finally got rid of the law.

The picture above is a stock photo and not one of mine.  The entrance gate behind the deer is the main entrance into the Temple Todai Ji, the home of the largest Buddha in Japan

• Heart 2