More than 500 recordings and more than 75 gold and platinum hits.

donkpow

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Well, with numbers of more than 500 recordings and more than 75 gold or platinum hits that's something like only a .150 batting average...

I think there might be an error in the math. Let's see.

(500 + 75) / 0 = Holy shit!

Yep, an error in your math, Thad. Sorry.

• Heart 1

My apologies.

I'm not a proponent of the common core fuzzy math approach you used to justify the division by zero and thereby obtain a result that was an emotion instead of a mathematical value.

It appears, then, that even on an occasion where our methods of calculation should indicate a similar result, they are doomed to asymptotically approach each other but in the limit never truly meet.

How do you feel about that?

Do you think his challenge resonated well through the original Toy Story movie, or was it more subtly stated in the sequels?  How do think the children of elementary school age reacted to your aforementioned Buzz's efforts to bring mathematics, normally a dry and dull topic to most people, and intimately understood by even fewer, into a vehicle of entertainment where they expected no such serious themes?

Most people view Buzz Lightyear as a character in a cartoon movie - it's quite rare to find someone with a opinion that the Buzz Lightyear character presents significantly more depth and symbolizes more than what is generally accepted.  These kind of views can provide great relief to what some claim is a stale atmosphere on the Forum.  So, if you would please, enlighten us and elucidate your line of thought and reason that led you to the belief and conclusion that Buzz Lightyear's challenge to the philosophical status quo reached well into mathematical theory.

While undoubtedly unintentional, the signature rally cry of Buzz Lightyear provokes the human to reevaluate his place in the universe. "Beyond" the unbounded space and time of infinity is a concept that is rarely considered. Most are comfortable considering that which is known and quantifiable as sufficient for satisfying existence.

9 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Admirable reply, but would you favor us with a direct response to the question?

Normally, one would overlook the inaccuracy in the question and provide responses in bullet form to all four questions. Given the nature of this discussion, clarification is in order. 

11 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

My apologies.

I'm not a proponent of the common core fuzzy math approach you used to justify the division by zero and thereby obtain a result that was an emotion instead of a mathematical value.

It appears, then, that even on an occasion where our methods of calculation should indicate a similar result, they are doomed to asymptotically approach each other but in the limit never truly meet.

Hey!  Who are you calling an asymptote anyway!?

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, donkpow said:

Normally, one would overlook the inaccuracy in the question and provide responses in bullet form to all four questions. Given the nature of this discussion, clarification is in order. 

I believe we can see the emergence of a pattern in the responses - they deflect and diverge in a verbose and tangential fashion that doesn't directly address the questions.

This might be in a manner of playfulness which would of course be the most generous assumption to make.  It's possible that the responses are deliberately evasive and fraudulent, intentionally not responding honestly and forthrightly to be mean-spirited and vengeful.  And lastly there is the possibility of the simplistic and adolescent need to just get the last word.

So I would again respectfully request of Donkpow that he explain his line of thought and reason that led him to the belief and conclusion that Buzz Lightyear's challenge to the philosophical status quo reached well into mathematical theory.  Since the words of my request are essentially those of Donkpow himself, he should perceive no inaccuracy in the request and no clarification should be required.  It should be a simple exercise to outline the concepts that support that statement and to present them clearly and concisely in a way that is easily understood.

Unless, once again, we receive a reply that is deflective, verbose, and tangential. 

If we do, then it will be quite easy to look past the words to the behavior, and see the reply for what it truly is.

I find it odd that a series of questions should start with the query, How do I feel... Given the weight of the topic, such a question is easily interpreted as trivial and should not have been posed. Of course, some latitude is granted in situations where a high level of sincerity is expected. Without a strong basis for personal interaction, one can safely assume the question was posited to perform some form of patronage or, more likely, simply to express condescension. Naturally, I would permit such behavior in order to improve the world through the free exchange of knowledge and ideas. However, reading the most recent comments, I find that my concerns are warranted and the conversation is not based on mutual respect. In fact, without stating my suspicions blatantly, I sense a degree of subterfuge in the questioning. I cannot condone nor participate in any discourse which is not based on honesty. Liberté, equalité, et fraternité. The foundations of a worthwhile life.

And so, the question honestly and respectfully posed, is not answered.

We again see an unfortunate continuation in the pattern of deflection, verbosity, and a tangential reply as predicted; only now layered in what appears to be unwarranted suspicion and perhaps even mild paranoia.  Since we can see the respondent is able to formulate some sort of answer, we can conclude he realized any sort of direct response would only place him in poor light.

Since the words were not given, we can look to the behavior which contains all the answers we require.

17 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

So I would again respectfully request of Donkpow that he explain his line of thought and reason that led him to the belief and conclusion that Buzz Lightyear's challenge to the philosophical status quo reached well into mathematical theory. 

As we strip away the superfluous, we unmask the intent in the questioning. I find it difficult to believe that Thaddeus Kosciuszko is unable to consider the concept at hand. The amount of effort required to address the concept is, without doubt, miniscule. This draws us inevitably to the conclusion that the gentleman does indeed have hidden agendas in his dealings and further discussion with him can only lead to continued strife. It is unfortunate that an intelligent discourse could not be held on this matter but I am sure that, at some point, we can find the opportunity to raise the quality of conversation at some future date. However, basing my opinion on current activities, I doubt the gentleman will provide any meaningful component to the discussion.