Do you stand??

Zephyr

Brake stand, on your bike at red lights, or do you put a foot down?  I have never been able to do it, it pretty much takes full use of my semi circular canals just for me to walk upright most days, let alone stay upright on a bike sitting still

Yesterday I approached a light that I thought was about to change so I just slowed and never unclipped.  It didn't change and I ended up stopping and waiting and I was doing a break stand for about 30 seconds  :skipping:

I never even realized it until I was going again. I have no idea how or what I did and i tried it on the way work today and am back to my old self. :(

Why do superpowers have to be so fleeting??

• Heart 2

For those of you who rode in toe clips & straps, you learned how to brake stand ,or track stand as we called it.  I still do if it looks like the light may change soon but if it's gonna be a while I'll unclip.  I used to be really good at it back in the day.

I can also ride no handed really well and wish my wife would learn.  Getting both hands off the bars and stretching every now & again does wonders for the hands, arms & shoulders.

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, airinpie said:

I didn't know that anyone could balance on a non moving bike ?

Go on YouTube and look up track stand.  It's something sprinters do when racing in a velodrome and a skill that was used often with roadies pre clipless pedals as it was a PITA to pull out and back in a pedal with clips & straps.  With modern pedals it's so easy to clip in and out very few roadies do it anymore.

• Heart 1

50 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Go on YouTube and look up track stand.  It's something sprinters do when racing in a velodrome and a skill that was used often with roadies pre clipless pedals as it was a PITA to pull out and back in a pedal with clips & straps.  With modern pedals it's so easy to clip in and out very few roadies do it anymore.

Get outta town! I'm gonna have to try this. With just regular shoes I think. ?

9 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Is it really called a brake stand?  Isnt that what its called when you give your car gas and apply the brakes so you stay in one spot and smoke your tires?  

We always called balancing in one place on a bike a track stand???

SEE!!  This is how bad I am at it, I don't even know what it is called.  :blush:

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

9 minutes ago, airinpie said:

Get outta town! I'm gonna have to try this. With just regular shoes I think. ?

I've often mentioned this to my wife but since I say it she wont do it.... But anyone can ride fast. A skilled rider can ride slowly.  I cant tell you how many times I've avoided falling due to being able to balance or control my bike in tight turns or nearly stopped.  Much of police bike patrol training is slow speed drills.as well as it's such a valuable skill.

Yeah try it in sneakers on grass!

• Heart 1

Um no, I don't track/brake stand at a red traffic light.  Foot down on pavement.  Also I'm usually riding with panniers full of stuff..my clothing (from work) or groceries. As for no hands on handlebar riding, I guess I'm getting abit old to try that now.  I was really impressed when a young lady trackstanded in front of me without her hands. She also had several hula hoops wrapped around her body.  So she must have had some trained/natural acrobatic skills...which might have included a bike. She would have been great in bike polo games.

On 9/29/2017 at 5:07 PM, ChrisL said:

It was actually the cleats that made it so difficult to pull out. I run clips and straps now and getting in and out is easy.