I am glamping

jsharr

The glamping went quite well.  Heard positive feedback from all the participants except for two scout leaders.    I was beat when I got home.  Up early, late to bed, lots of walking around camp making sure all the programs were running well, etc.

Was in bed well before 9 PM last night.

Have another camp just for Cub Scouts coming up at the end of this month.  My youngest will be staffing it with me.  Should be a blast.  We will sleep out doors at this camp I imagine.  Normally I just set up my tent behind the HQ pavillion or sleep on the floor in the open pavillion.

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, jsharr said:

The glamping went quite well.  Heard positive feedback from all the participants except for two scout leaders.    I was beat when I got home.  Up early, late to bed, lots of walking around camp making sure all the programs were running well, etc.

Was in bed well before 9 PM last night.

Have another camp just for Cub Scouts coming up at the end of this month.  My youngest will be staffing it with me.  Should be a blast.  We will sleep out doors at this camp I imagine.  Normally I just set up my tent behind the HQ pavillion or sleep on the floor in the open pavillion.

What about bears and wolves and sasquatch?  You hear a lot about those in TX, so I am curious as to how many scouts you lose to them every year.

Just now, Randomguy said:

What about bears and wolves and sasquatch?  You hear a lot about those in TX, so I am curious as to how many scouts you lose to them every year.

There will be Lions, Tigers, Bears and Wolves at the Cub Scout camp.  The camp this past weekend was for Webelos and Boy Scouts.

I have never heard of any Scouts in Texas being eaten by BigFeet, but I do know an older Scouter who had a scout attacked by a bear at Philmont Scout Ranch.  The scout lived.  

4 minutes ago, Rick5234 said:

I what he actually meant was "beers"...  There's no beers in the pictures.

Alcohol is frowned upon by The Boy Scouts of America, as far as having it at camps.  I will often enjoy a beer with other leaders when we are not Scouting.  

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Alcohol is frowned upon by The Boy Scouts of America, as far as having it at camps.  I will often enjoy a beer with other leaders when we are not Scouting.  

A bunch of kids out bonding with their scout leaders.  I can't see why they'd frown on alcohol.  :dontknow:

Just now, Rick5234 said:

A bunch of kids out bonding with their scout leaders.  I can't see why they'd frown on alcohol.  :dontknow:

Boy Scouting is pretty cool in that when done right, it is boy led.  The boys plan the campout, meals, etc.  They run the campfire program.  The adults are there to step in only when needed.  Great way to learn leadership skills and a great place to fail in a safe environment.    We do get to know the boys, but generally at a distance, if that makes sense.

This past weekend, one of the groups of Boy Scouts were running a station where the younger Webelos Scouts built and launched a water and air powered rocket.  I heard one of the young Webelos say, "We can't do that.  It would not be right if we won by cheating"  

That made the weekend worthwhile.    I took the time to walk over to that group of Scouts, find out who the young man was and give him praise and recognition, as well as a wire clip carabiner, in front of his peers.

Also got to watch a young scout go from not knowhing how to shoot a bow and arrow to hitting the target repeatedly.  The look on his face was amazing.  He is pictured earlier in this thread.

12 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Alcohol is frowned upon by The Boy Scouts of America, as far as having it at camps.

And you call that camping?  How do you camp with only hard liquor?  :angry:

I am afraid you are giving the scouts the wrong idea about what camping can be with a full cooler of cold beer.  Hang your head in shame.

9 minutes ago, jsharr said:

This past weekend, one of the groups of Boy Scouts were running a station where the younger Webelos Scouts built and launched a water and air powered rocket.  I heard one of the young Webelos say, "We can't do that.  It would not be right if we won by cheating"  

What would be cheating?

9 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I know, but RG is an asshat and is not joking.  BTW, I have been known to bring a flask camping to small events....

I am definitely not joking!  Camping with beer is part of our heritage.  Sitting around the campfire with an old green Coleman cooler with 8 lbs. of ice and 70 beers while the dogs play after a hard mountain bike ride is really the best way to enjoy camping.  When I camp by myself, I don't bring beer, or even make a fire often.  With others, I always enjoy both.

I do feel it is wrong to not have beer when kids are around to maintain some stilted version of reality.  Beer is a part of life, and kids should see people enjoying it growing up so they won't get all weird with it when they are suddenly of age and don't know how to act.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I am definitely not joking!  Camping with beer is part of our heritage.  Sitting around the campfire with an old green Coleman cooler with 8 lbs. of ice and 70 beers while the dogs play after a hard mountain bike ride is really the best way to enjoy camping.  When I camp by myself, I don't bring beer, or even make a fire often.  With others, I always enjoy both.

I do feel it is wrong to not have beer when kids are around.  Beer is a part of life, and kids should see people enjoying it growing up so they won't get all weird with it when they are suddenly of age and don't know how to act.

Trust me, kidsofjsharr have seen jsharr and SWMBO drink.  Romeo drank some of my pineapple/orange juice rum thingee yesterday.  He is a good dog.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Trust me, kidsofjsharr have seen jsharr and SWMBO drink.  Romeo drank some of my pineapple/orange juice rum thingee yesterday.  He is a good dog.

Yay!  That reminds me, how are you coming with the dog bio's?  You would have to include that Romeo is a bit of drunkard.

• Heart 1

You can read the rough drafts over a scoop of Bourbon Vanilla at Sweet Firefly.

I would like to, but you keep mentioning the dogs, so we just can't wait.  You would have finished them if not for all this sober glamping you are doing, you know.

Where is Cheese' apology, too?  He has been pretty slack recently.

13 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I would like to, but you keep mentioning the dogs, so we just can't wait.  You would have finished them if not for all this sober glamping you are doing, you know.

Where is Cheese' apology, too?  He has been pretty slack recently.

I am still working with Remi on his spelling and diction.  As soon as he learns English and how to keyboard with his big paws, I will be better able to fulfill your request.

Rascals Bio "I was born in a puppy mill.  A nice lady bought me at a swap meet.  I had a sister who had black and white hair. She died, now I have two brown brothers, one that is small and fast and one that is big and lazy.  I like my little brother.  The big one not so much.   I like to pee and poop on the floor and eat underwear.

Romeo "I do not remember where I was born.  I remember being in a cage with a bunch of sad dogs.  This a fat guy in a red truck took me home.  My little black brother likes to pee and poop on the floor and eat underwear.  I like to eat socks and shoes and remotes and run around really fast.  My big brown brother is sort of lazy and will not run around with me, but he is fun to climb on.

Remi "typppinG hhhhhhhhhhhhhhAaaard

Rascals Bio "I was born in a puppy mill.  A nice lady bought me at a swap meet.  I had a sister who had black and white hair. She died, now I have two brown brothers, one that is small and fast and one that is big and lazy.  I like my little brother.  The big one not so much.   I like to pee and poop on the floor and eat underwear.

Romeo "I do not remember where I was born.  I remember being in a cage with a bunch of sad dogs.  This a fat guy in a red truck took me home.  My little black brother likes to pee and poop on the floor and eat underwear.  I like to eat socks and shoes and remotes and run around really fast.  My big brown brother is sort of lazy and will not run around with me, but he is fun to climb on.

No, this is wrong, you have to do a whole post, each dog having an individual bio and pictures showing different sides to their personalities, and captions.  It need not be ornate unless you want it to, but it does have to be.

Just now, Randomguy said:

No, this is wrong, you have to do a whole post, each dog having an individual bio and pictures showing different sides to their personalities, and captions.  It need not be ornate unless you want it to, but it does have to be.

you sir, are as wrong as wrong could be.