I made a mistake - sorry, bike related.

shotgun

OK wait....  You say you have the money but are not sure if you can afford it?!?!!?  And your wife said just get it?!?!?!?  I'd be all over that.  

I'm actually in a similar situation with one distinct difference...  I have the money too, but have my daughter's wedding coming up so really can't afford it so I actually understand....  And my wife is like :angry: so I'm gonna have to wait... 

The white one has two chain rings, which he said most guys don't like because the front derailleur will get iced up and won't shift. He's got that one marked down below the single ring black one. It's only $30 difference, but I'm leaning toward the white and blue.

39 minutes ago, shotgun said:

I went into my LBS for some chain lube and a flashing taillight. I ended up test riding a fatbike and I am this >< close to buying one. My wife stood there saying "just get it". I've got the money, but I have to decide if I can afford it first.

I understand where you are at.  You want to make sure the bike is worth spending the cash and making sure you really need it.  We can't be rash with our finances.

My husband always tells me that I can have any bike that I want.  He even told me to get a DH bike, if I really wanted one. Since, I realize that the bike can only be used a few times a year, I have not bought one. I don't have the terrain to even use that bike optimally.  Even Mt. Bach bike park has a smidge of uphill. 

11 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I understand where you are at.  You want to make sure the bike is worth spending the cash and making sure you really need it.  We can't be rash with our finances.

My husband always tells me that I can have any bike that I want.  He even told me to get a DH bike, if I really wanted one. Since, I realize that the bike can only be used a few times a year, I have not bought one. I don't have the terrain to even use that bike optimally.  Even Mt. Bach bike park has a smidge of uphill. 

You guys are awesome!  My wife is definitely the fiscal conservative and I'm like yeah sure get it well make it work.  It's a good ying  and yang but if my wife says hold on, not yet I'll need her advise as in 30 years she's never steered us wrong financially. 

She knows I'm jonesing hard for a new dual boinger but not this year and maybe not next year either as my kids wedding is in the fall.  Im also not going to incur credit card debt to entertain my fancy.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

You guys are awesome!  My wife is definitely the fiscal conservative and I'm like yeah sure get it well make it work.  It's a good ying  and yang but if my wife says hold on, not yet I'll need her advise as in 30 years she's never steered us wrong financially. 

She knows I'm jonesing hard for a new dual boinger but not this year and maybe not next year either as my kids wedding is in the fall.  Im also not going to incur credit card debt to entertain my fancy.

My husband is the awesome one. I am very lucky to have a spouse that supports my interests and dreams.  

I would not have won that enduro without him.  He was my mechanic, cheering section and supporter.  Anything I want to do, he is game.  Even our retirement plans are planned in a way that allows us to live out our dreams.

BTW, I liked your use of words there.  haha

• Heart 2

17 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Black bikes matter.

All of my bikes are black and I really didn't have much of a choice in the matter.  Road bike was out of stock in Celeste so got nude carbon... Black.  Built up a cross frame bike from spare parts, only color frame came in was black... Got a.screaming deal on my mtn bike, too good to pass up but the only one my size was.... black.  I cam .across a cool old roadie with Dura Ace 8 spd so I resurrected it.  Guess what color the bike is...

2 hours ago, shotgun said:

The white one has two chain rings, which he said most guys don't like because the front derailleur will get iced up and won't shift. He's got that one marked down below the single ring black one. It's only $30 difference, but I'm leaning toward the white and blue.

I don't understand that logic. The double ring derailleur doesn't shift when it gets iced up? The single chain ring doesn't shift ever? I'd go with the two chain rings.

8 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I don't understand that logic. The double ring derailleur doesn't shift when it gets iced up? The single chain ring doesn't shift ever? I'd go with the two chain rings.

1x systems are really reliable.  They have a wide range.  I love my XX1 eagle.  It covers all the range I need.  It's steep around here too.

16 hours ago, shotgun said:

I went into my LBS for some chain lube and a flashing taillight. I ended up test riding a fatbike and I am this >< close to buying one. My wife stood there saying "just get it". I've got the money, but I have to decide if I can afford it first.

What are you waiting for? You want it. You have your wife's permission. You have the money.

Just get it.

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Aren't phat bikes sort of overkill for dirt, so best suited for snow?  

I don't want it for dirt. Snow and sand are my targeted terrains. ...maybe some sandy snow and snowy sand mixed in...

• Awesome 1

I mentioned to the LBS owner about a guy I see riding a fatty on the streets around here. He said it's a CF framed version and that they elderly gentleman prefers the stability of it. He doesn't have to worry about getting pushed off onto the shoulder.  :)

12 hours ago, shotgun said:

WOshotgun bought it today. I'm out of town and can't pick it up until probably Thursday after work.

I guess I'm not needed here. I came ask if this was going to turn into a @petitepedal buying a car thread.

12 hours ago, shotgun said:

WOshotgun bought it today.

so is this her bike and not yours?  Looks like you may need another one.

• Haha 1