Living on most popular Hallowe'en street

shootingstar

My sister and her family live on Toronto's most popular Hallowe'en street. No kiddin'. There was a news article a few years ago. Over 1,000 people go through.

Tons of kids with parents descend upon this street for trick 'n treats on Hallowe'en. I believe she's had well over 500 kids drop by the house in 1 evening.  It's so busy that night she's had enlist a much older teenager nephew of another sister to ration out the candy.  Meanwhile she and hubby have to hustle their kids down the street among the crowds.  The houses are all well-festooned with Hallowee'en decorations and pumpkins many weeks before. On top of all this, the neighbourhood has a Hallowe'en bash on the evening before Hallowe'en at a community centre.

Several years ago, I was visiting family, which included her house and was stunned by the Hallowe'en decorations outside and inside her house just 1 wk. after Hallowe'en. They had about 5 pumpkins all home carved ..etc.  I was astounded.

She was never raised in a Hallowe'en-crazed family: our parents couldn't afford all the decorations. Besides parents saw it as another slightly odd, but necessary event to participate to assimilate for their Canadian-born children.  So Hallowe'en was half-hearted when we were growing up.

I enjoy Halloween but am rarely home for it.  When the kids were young, I carved 3 pumpkins over 3 days.  All were very intricate Haida graphics. Typically, a sun, moon and killer whale.  Nowadays, the adult kids do the carving and I roast pumpkin seeds. 

I like to stand outside on the driveway and have hot chocolate and buttered rum for the cold parents. :)

• Heart 1

About 40 years ago..my mom made a ghost by putting an old large plastic pumpkin over the top of a hall tree/clothing rack..she hung a trouble light under it and topped it with the traditional sheet with eyes and a mouth...about the same time one of her co-workers started bring us giant pumpkins..It was hard to find big pumpkins locally..(this was before stuff was shipped in from all over)...Anyway...we only handed out the regular mini candy bars...not the "nickel" stuff..or maybe by then it was "quarter" stuff... but we were popular :D  One year she grew some corn in the garden...never did get any corn out of it...but she used it to decorate the front yard..looked pretty good til some punk tried to light it on fire :whistle:

It was probably 15 years later that Halloween became such a big thing.

Same here, Kirby. We live in a condo.  I don't mind. 

I'd rather be with nieces and nephews, other friends' children, somewhere else for fun.  

What does amaze me is past few years, how popular Halloween is among adults. In my workplace, there have been some years, where employees were all decked out in costume.  Maybe it's only time for license to look crazy/fun on the job.