Godspeed Mr. Petty

parodybot

I'm saddened when any great artist dies - but I feel like it's harder in those rare instances when that artist is still at the top of his or her game.  As a whole I'd put his 2014 album Hypnotic Eye up against any other album in his catalog.

RIP, Charlie Wilbury.  :(

At every call today, people wanted to talk about Las Vegas. I didn't. Just sad and angry about the loss of life and injuries. As I drove between calls, I was really focusing on my music. Johnny Cash's version of "Southern Accent" played. It hit me more than normal. I realized I hadn't listened to Tom Petty's version in several years and decided I would tonight. This was before I heard the news of the cardiac arrest. Made damn sure I played it tonight!

I'm not sure how long it's been. We used to play this all the time when I worked at the record store. I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I listened to it, though. It was like having a reunion with a stranger. But what a fantastic album!

Tom Petty said when Johnny Cash recorded "Southern Accent" that he didn't realize it was a Johnny Cash song until Johnny sang it. It was no longer a Tom Petty song after that. Humble man even at his peak!

• Heart 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2017 at 10:11 PM, Scrapr said:

Listened to a lot of Refugee BITD. Heard about a Netflix Bio of the Heartbreakers. I'm 10 minutes in and it's fantastic. Look at it if you're a fan. OMG....4 hours long though.  Running Down a Dream

I petered oot somewhere around the middle.  Need to watch it again. It is WAY longer than my attention span. :D