A Revision to the Forum Business Plan

Thaddeus Kosciuszko

I would like to suggest that instead of locking controversial threads, that SW should temporarily suspend them first.

Upon suspension, anybody would have the opportunity to release the thread from the suspended state - for a small fee. 

The fee structure would release the thread for either 5 minutes or a full half hour.  Anybody could release a thread, even somebody who just wanted to sit back, eat the popcorn, and watch the fireworks.  And I'm not saying we don't have a bunch of instigators here would would do exactly that, no.  :whistle:

The person who originally posted the controversial thread would have to pay $1 more than the usual rate.  After all, he/she should have the greatest interest in releasing the suspended thread so why not milk the opportunity for all it's worth?  And if that person doesn't think his thread is worth the extra dollar to release it, right away that's telling everybody they probably don't want to waste their money either because the topic is probably a pile of junk anyway.

Once released, any number of Forumites could post whether they paid or not.  The thread would stay released until people stopped paying.  Then it would revert back to suspended status.

After 30 minutes of suspended status we could safely assume nobody is interested anymore, and the thread would lock permanently. 

Oh, and if you've paid your annual dues to get a Premium Forum Membership then you get one extra minute each time you pay.  After members make five payments to release a thread they get the sixth one free (membership hath its privileges, terms and conditions apply).

I think the most difficult part of this whole plan is where SW is going to put all the cash, especially since he's already making money hand over fist here in the first place.  Anyway, not our concern...

On the plus side, this provides an immediate appeal for anybody who thinks a thread should not be locked.  Stewing about it is bad your digestion!  Unlock it!  It just comes down to a decision of whether it's worth the money or not... 

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

Tadpole, with all due respect that just might be the strangest thing you ever posted.

Give me time, you shameless flatterer!  ;)

It's based on the simple principle that if people want something bad enough they will pay for it.  That's why we still have quality products like the Pocket Hose and Chia Pets, isn't it? 

Secondly, it's just an adaptation from a business model based on a BBC documentary I once saw, where people could only debate after they coughed up the cash.

• Heart 2

14 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Give me time, you shameless flatterer!  ;)

It's based on the simple principle that if people want something bad enough they will pay for it.  That's why we still have quality products like the Pocket Hose and Chia Pets, isn't it? 

Secondly, it's just an adaptation from a business model based on a BBC documentary I once saw, where people could only debate after they coughed up the cash.

Hummm is that what you said?  I was too lazy to read the whole thing.

I shudder to think there would be no oversight committee. What's to prevent SW from calling everything controversial, so as to enrich himself beyond his already sizable fortune?

I volunteer to be a paid member of this committee, and would even entertain receipt of gifts and donations to prevent SW from abusing you.

1 minute ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

That's just the overview. The T&C is 27 pages of single spaced lawyer-ese, in 8 point font and involves first born children, internal organs and a chicken sacrifice.

And you've read it?  I don't have time for that.  I have cans of paint in the basement that have labels that need read before Tadpole's treatise.  

2 hours ago, BuffJim said:

What's to prevent SW from calling everything controversial, so as to enrich himself beyond his already sizable fortune?

The idea that most people rarely spend money on something they know is worthless.

Everybody here knows that 97.62% of the content on this site is drivel, and therefore entirely worthless.  If SW labeled everything controversial, he'd get fewer dollars because people would just give up and pay for nothing.  He would make it too more difficult to get to the truly meaningful content.

By being rather selective in suspending only certain threads, SW could actually increase interest by creating the perception that a thread is actually not drivel because people are paying to keep it going.  Sorta like how people line up to pay too much money for the newest smart phone that really isn't all that much smarter.

1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

The T&C is 27 pages of single spaced lawyer-ese, in 8 point font and involves first born children, internal organs and a chicken sacrifice.

Drat and Blast!  There's always that one person who expects the Spanish Inquisition reads the Terms and Conditions!  :angry:

Pay no attention to that Ray of Sunshine behind the curtain!