F'ing Nurse Ratchet

ChrisL

So my son had a migraine during baseball practice so went to the school clinic. My wife and I went to get him and bring his car back.  So I go into the nurse's office and this freaking nurse as old as dirt starts into me why I'm letting my son suffer, why we haven't put him on meds etc.  I let her vent until she raised a craggy finger at me.

I didn't say a word but I got freaking pissed and my icy, I'll fucking break that finger look must have caused her some concern as she immediately stoped talking, put her hand down and apologized.  I said let's go and she said  wait you need to... and we were out the door. 

I think I would've been more receptive to her input if she hadn't freaking started into me, the old not what you say but how you say it thing.... 

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

meds? Like pain killers?

Does she not realize that we have an opioid problem in this country? 

or did she mean NSAID drugs?

I actually have no clue what she meant as I freaking walked into a maelstrom.  I also thought it interesting that she laid into me when the ADULT patient was with her the whole F'ing time.

15 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I actually have no clue what she meant as I freaking walked into a maelstrom.  I also thought it interesting that she laid into me when the ADULT patient was with her the whole F'ing time.

If you son is 18, she should consult him on the matter.

It used to drive me crazy when parents thought they had a say in what classes their college age kids took.  Or better yet, thought they could call and get their grades.  LOL  During reg, I used to ignore them (as much as I could get away with without being overtly rude), and speak directly to the student.  It isn't their call.  They are not the student.  I represented the students, not their helicopter parents.

5 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

If you son is 18, she should consult him on the matter.

It used to drive me crazy when parents thought they had a say in what classes their college age kids took.  Or better yet, thought they could call and get their grades.  LOL  During reg, I used to ignore them (as much as I could get away with without being overtly rude), and speak directly to the student.  It isn't their call.  They are not the student.  I represented the students, not their helicopter parents.

Gotta agree that would be a royal PITA to deal with regularly.

On the flip side, sometimes it is the parents' dime that is paying for those classes. Sure, the parents should sort it out ahead of time with the kid, but god knows that rarely happens.  Additionally, we now realize an 18yr old in 2017 is FAR less mature than an 18yr old in 1987.  Jack the age of "adulthood" back up to 21 or beyond - voting, smoking, drinking, driving, sex, etc.. Make them show an iota of maturity before getting to jump into all the good stuff in life.

Tom

When my daughter had her orientation at CSUF we attended a joint Parent & Student orientation.  We all go in together and the parents end up in one conference hall, the kids in another.  One of the things they made clear was that unless your student is a minor, the school is going to deal with the student ONLY. Mom & Dad aren't getting updates from the University and have no say with the University.  Now if the kid isn't meeting expectations that's between you and the kid, not the parents and the University.

Same really with my son in this situation.  He had his school I'D and Drivers license.  The parent really had no say in the matter. 

But my son said he has been getting them more frequently and wants to see the Dr again so we gave him the number to schedule an appt.

10 hours ago, donkpow said:

I hate it when doctors, police, etc. try to lecture me on how I should behave. If you have a professional perspective to share, I'll take it under advisement.

Yep.

Had a rear-ender two years ago in a company vehicle in horrible stop-and-go traffic, on a road I wouldn't have even been on had there not been a car fire on another road that diverted me there.  I was watching the car ahead of me like a hawk, and I wasn't trying to vent at  the officer (I never raised a voice or got upset once) who cited me, knowing the person in the back is the person at fault, but right after I said that, he said with the slight authority/attitude voice, "You should have been watching FIVE cars ahead."

Yup, because I can really see around that SUV two cars ahead of me, sir.  I'm glad that you know exactly what I should have done and that you're 100% cock-sure of the right answer, nevermind that I hadn't had so much as a fender bender in a decade.

There were five more near misses in the next 30 minutes and one five-car accident.  At that point, I start to see a problem with traffic flow engineering as much as I see one with drivers.

10 hours ago, pedalphile said:

I'm just gobsmacked that American schools still have a clinic and a nurse - those are long gone over here, yet you folks seem to think that we live in a nanny state.

Public schools only.

And in some areas, they are sorely needed, because there's no other way a poor family would know there's a problem with their child, no way someone would notice a kid is being abused, or is pregnant, or has an issue that could require serious attention (which might be covered by some form of state health fund).

It also ensures that young children that require medication aren't taking none because they forget, or three instead of one for the same reason.  There's a lot of good reasons --that said, there's much smarter ways to talk to a parent about their child, and I'd have had a similar look as ChrisL, followed by a calm but somewhat frigid "If you want me to listen to what you've got to offer, maybe you should start with the honey rather than the vinegar."

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I wondered about that too but don't know the regs well enough.  

I don't either - that's why I phrased it as a question if she's sure.   :whistle:  Just enough to make her think.