Anyone Here Following

Razors Edge

...the PBS Newshour's America Addicted series?

So, I'm watching last night's segment on a poor (seemingly) town in WV where the emergency system is basically being turned into a overdose reaction group. How on Earth does a community already in distress afford to deal with an onslaught like the current opioid addiction crisis? It can't be cheap, and it certainly has to divert resources away from the critical work they need to "fix" their other community issues.

Tom

No, not following. It's a depressing subject and close to home. A nephew near Cincinnati OH has been battling addiction for five to six years. Two daughters from different women, one born addicted about four months ago. A court hearing is being held today to determine if her biological grandmother can adopt her.

16 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

No, not following. It's a depressing subject and close to home. A nephew near Cincinnati OH has been battling addiction for five to six years. Two daughters from different women, one born addicted about four months ago. A court hearing is being held today to determine if her biological grandmother can adopt her.

:(

There is a segment on babies born to addicted parents. That stuff is HARD to watch. A baby going through detox is just pure sadness. Well, maybe mostly sadness but some hope since those little ones put up a heckuva fight and can come out the other side with a shot at a "normal" life. Of course, we, as a society, need to see what we can do to make sure "normal" is an option/possibility and they don't end up stuck in a world of their parents' doing.

Tom

You know that thing I was telling you about? He has been spotted dealing around the corner. He doesn't come over on my street any more. I was riding down the main artery when he passed me. He went around the block and came up on me again. Probably working up the courage to run me off the road. When I get done here, I'm going to e-mail the police officer again and tell them he has moved his operation. I'm not letting this go. You don't live around the corner from me and deal in this neighborhood. No sir.