Technology - So Fickle

Razors Edge

Last week we went camping up in Shenandoah NP, so I brought my bike hoping to get a ride or two in.  Anyway, on Tuesday, the weather was perfect, and after a hike in the morning, I was given the "ok" to take an afternoon ride :) I dressed and got everything ready to go and headed out to the entrance of the campground (Mathews Arm) and the tough climb out to the main road (Skyline Drive).  I had my Garmin tracking everything, but as I started heading up the 9% average climb up to the road, I glance down at my Garmin and it was registering 0%.  I figured at first it might be a delay. Then I guessed a weird pressure change, and eventually just stopped paying too much attention to it. Over a 33 mile ride, the grade values were either "pretty darn close" or pretty much zero. Not really any in between. No big deal, but I do like to supplement my "feel" on a climb with some sort of actual facts - like grade or cadence. 

About two thirds through the ride, the Garmin gave me a powermeter battery low message as well.  I'm not sure what qualifies as low, but I was still getting cadence info, so it was still transmitting something.  Again, no big deal, since I was just riding, and the "analysis" part is after the ride and missing one ride's worth of data is no big deal.

We finished with camping, and so on Friday, I got to take another ride near home. I shot out to meet my wife as she rode home from her work, and when I started, I noticed I had no messages and no issues - ie the grade was showing properly and my cadence/power were showing up. A 26 mile ride with no issues at all.

So, Sunday rolled around, and I headed out for another spin.  Beautiful weather but a bit breezy.  After pedaling for a short bit  - you guessed it - no cadence (which meant no power readings either).   On top of that, with the steady 10-20mph breeze, my jersey was flapping enough against my HRM strap that the HR data was uselessly high. Argh. Again, I can ride "unplugged" if I have to, so I soldiered on and was lucky enough to come across a fellow on my way home that provided me with a "carrot" and allowed me to ignore anything showing on my Garmin.

Anywho, got home and swapped in a new battery.  On top of that, I noticed that the Garmin was tracking rear gear shifts (last field on my ride summary) which is fun. I looked over the three rides, and the first one was pretty much spot on (profile-wise) and had seemingly accurate power, cadence, HR, shifting, grade, etc. information. The second ride was pretty much as accurate as normal, too. The third, though, had no power or cadence, and the HR info was useless. We'll see on my next ride if all the gremlins are remedied.

Tom