I cleared top dead center!

smudge

1 minute ago, smudge said:

Riding a real bike any day now!!! :cheerleader:

Great!

The question I would have, though, is why they don't have a better "bike" setup there? I could see all those issues you mention actually causing more harm than good, especially with a compromised knee/hip/ankle/whatever.

Tom

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Great!

The question I would have, though, is why they don't have a better "bike" setup there? I could see all those issues you mention actually causing more harm than good, especially with a compromised knee/hip/ankle/whatever.

Tom

I've thought about that too. Ugh...

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

1 hour ago, smudge said:

Sassy. ;)

Actually, sometimes when I'm going down hill I'll pedal backwards to relax my legs.  Just a couple of times but that's all it takes.  I also pedal backwards to put the down hill foot at the 12 oclock position when leaning into a turn.  I don't know why, but i do.

7 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Smudgie- You should post a link for the newcomers about your accident that caused all this. Don't forget the part about fighting off the rabid wolverine while your leg was holding on by a single tendon, and your cell phone battery was down to 1%.

Jim, Jim, Jim, the only wolverines we have in Michigan are in A2.  Please get the story straight.  She was fighting of a rabid wolf.  And she shouldn't leave out the part about the angry black bear trying to protect her cubs. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Smudgie- You should post a link for the newcomers about your accident that caused all this. Don't forget the part about fighting off the rabid wolverine while your leg was holding on by a single tendon, and your cell phone battery was down to 1%.

Hmmm, can you say, "Spoiler alert," for me?? Ha! This really isn't THAT far off! Kzoo is right in that we don't have wolverines... but we DO have badgers! 

Ok so, it was actually rabid mosquitoes (seriously, I was in a swamp and had forgotten bug spray; I had to wipe off 10 at a time on each leg and arm numerous times). And my ACL really was torn off while the MCL was grade 2+ to 3 (barely holding on). My cell phone really DID run out of battery; luckily it was after I had contacted my husband and eventually 911/Search and Rescue. 

Nutshell: Riding the fatbike July 6 across an old wood bridge in a swampy area of the local trail about an hour after a rain; it was "algae slick." Tires slid out from under me to the right. As my body was falling down, my left foot was sliding out to the left. Torn ACL and MCL, sprained left ankle, tibia bone contusion. I tried to walk to a spot my husband could get me; knee gave out about 5 times and down I went each time. Search and Rescue hauled me out in a side-by, and one of the guys rode my bike out to the trail head. Reconstructive surgery on August 23rd. In my third week of PT to get my dilapidated leg/knee back to "normal." 

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, smudge said:

I was at PT today and on the nasty Schwinn exercise bike. I hate that thing. It's too tall for me (of course), the wheel is weighted and pushes my knee around, and the fat-ass seat is tilted UP. Hate it.

So I was on it pedaling forward then backward because I don't have enough bend in my knee for a full pedal stroke. I wasn't paying close enough attention, and one backwards pedal stroke got out of hand. Oof, stop!! It didn't hurt, but it pulled pretty hard. I kept going and got a little distracted again..... Hey wait.. did I just do a full pedal stroke??!! I carefully tried the next revolution, and sure enough! Full pedal stroke!

I was perched on that stupid thing frantically looking for Paul, my PT guy, to tell him the good news. I was all giddy telling him about it!

Riding a real bike any day now!!! :cheerleader:

Excellent, Smudge!

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, smudge said:

Hmmm, can you say, "Spoiler alert," for me?? Ha! This really isn't THAT far off! Kzoo is right in that we don't have wolverines... but we DO have badgers! 

Ok so, it was actually rabid mosquitoes (seriously, I was in a swamp and had forgotten bug spray; I had to wipe off 10 at a time on each leg and arm numerous times). And my ACL really was torn off while the MCL was grade 2+ to 3 (barely holding on). My cell phone really DID run out of battery; luckily it was after I had contacted my husband and eventually 911/Search and Rescue. 

Nutshell: Riding the fatbike July 6 across an old wood bridge in a swampy area of the local trail about an hour after a rain; it was "algae slick." Tires slid out from under me to the right. As my body was falling down, my left foot was sliding out to the left. Torn ACL and MCL, sprained left ankle, tibia bone contusion. I tried to walk to a spot my husband could get me; knee gave out about 5 times and down I went each time. Search and Rescue hauled me out in a side-by, and one of the guys rode my bike out to the trail head. Reconstructive surgery on August 23rd. In my third week of PT to get my dilapidated leg/knee back to "normal." 

So, is this what I have to look forward to?

• Haha 1

Just now, smudge said:

Thanks. I was feeling a little down/concerned about my progress so far. Every once-in-a-while I get a little sign that things are coming along. This was a biggie for me. :) 

I think more importantly it was nor a forced success. You are in a naturally good condition to achieve the range of motion of going over the top.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, shotgun said:

So, is this what I have to look forward to?

No. I think it was a rookie mistake. Two weeks after this "accident," I was watching a Skills with Phil  video in which he says how dangerous wood structures are when they are wet. And in this case, it was a bridge that has spent years in a swamp; super slippery. I never thought about it. 

"Happy is he who learns from another's mistake."  You're welcome.