My buddy I stayed with has bought a house a couple of hours outside of Manhattan

Randomguy

1 hour ago, parodybot said:

Did they give you a direction?  If not, that is a big search area, esp. if you include the possibility of a house boat.  Assuming you drive 60 mph a couple of hours would be a 120 mile radius.  You are gonna have a hell of a time finding him I bet.

image.png.adcb2b39639e55870642252cbe630f74.png

Nobody gets to drive 60mph to and from NYC.  First you have to find out if that is 2 hours at midnight or 2 hours at rush hour.  It might be as little as 10 miles away.

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

The house is nice, on 4 acres.  Easy walking access to two lakes.  Small town, Yulan, NY.

I am jealous.

That's about 40 minutes from where I'll be buried.  Come visit me sometime.

3 hours ago, parodybot said:

Did they give you a direction?  If not, that is a big search area, esp. if you include the possibility of a house boat.  Assuming you drive 60 mph a couple of hours would be a 120 mile radius.  You are gonna have a hell of a time finding him I bet.

image.png.adcb2b39639e55870642252cbe630f74.png

I'm thinking your scale is a bit off

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Better read the sig line  NJ!

I'm a native New Yorker who came to NJ kicking and screaming, but now that I'm here I love it. The area I'm in is just urban enough so I can walk to my favorite eateries and shops, but not so urban where there's crowds of people and lots of noise. It's the first time I have a great view of the NYC skyline which means a lot to me because I remember looking downtown from my friend's building's rooftop wondering if I'd ever get to enjoy the city that way. I've actually really grown to like NJ a lot and now defend it from the usual derision it gets from NYers. People in the city always say they would never move here but I always point out that I have a better commute and live closer to Manhattan than most of them. Oh and I can take a boat into the city if I'm so inclined rather than be stuck in the subway.

;)

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

4 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Better read the sig line  NJ!

Yikes!

45 minutes ago, roadiejorge said:

I'm a native New Yorker who came to NJ kicking and screaming, but now that I'm here I love it. The area I'm in is just urban enough so I can walk to my favorite eateries and shops, but not so urban where there's crowds of people and lots of noise. It's the first time I have a great view of the NYC skyline which means a lot to me because I remember looking downtown from my friend's building's rooftop wondering if I'd ever get to enjoy the city that way. I've actually really grown to like NJ a lot and now defend it from the usual derision it gets from NYers. People in the city always say they would never move here but I always point out that I have a better commute and live closer to Manhattan than most of them. Oh and I can take a boat into the city if I'm so inclined rather than be stuck in the subway.

;)

A more distressing paragraph, I feel, has never been written, as you seem a decent sort who sees the glass as mostly full. 

I have spent too much time in NJ (I worked there for six years, and had an unfortunate sublet in Jersey City for about six months), and feel that all derision towards NJ is actually collectively understated to a massive degree.  NJ is gawdawful and have often thought that the residents should all move so it could officially function as the garbage dump that it is.  That presents a problem, though, because native residents of NJ really are unfit to be in a functioning society, and besides, who would want them?  A bigger and more complete shithole could not be conceived of by man, short of some (only some) third world cesspools.

Whenever I see some asshole puking in the street, committing a petty crime, spitting on the sidewalk, behaving with no class or intelligence, yelling at a pregnant chick that she looks fat, not paying attention to anything other than the scratching of an ass or crotch, speaking loudly for no reason, standing on the left side of an escalator, driving like an idiot, or just expecting the world revolves around themselves, my first thought is "Go back to Jersey, dumbfuck!"

What I have written only scratches the surface of how I feel about NJ, and feel NJ's stench when I even get close to the Hudson.  It is horrible, an affront to the rest of the country.  I hope you will one day come to your senses and cleanse your soul of the layers of NJ that have clouded your thought patterns.  

Again, you seem a decent sort, I only wonder how someone could feel so positively toward NJ other than an act of will and an intentional break with reality.  If I believed in a god, I would pray for you.

Welcome to the forum, btw, I am sure we will get along fine, except for our thoughts on NJ!

I forgot to add that sometimes I can be critical towards NJ, when I really only (mostly) mean the parts that are close to NYC (anything south of the NY state border to the north, past Bayonne to the south, and west past the oranges).  The one exception would be riding in Palisades, which is a nice little stretch.

The rest of NJ other than the highway is a bit out of my frame of reference, and while it all seems a bit 'off', that could just be my experience coloring the rest of the state for me.  I should also say that I consider the whole east coast a bit of a shithole, too, so there is that to consider.

I still recommend professional help, meds, and industrial decontamination and a swift exit from NJ, and maybe one day you can feel clean again.

2 hours ago, roadiejorge said:

;)

welcome to the forum, RJ.  I've done a bit of "defending NJ from derision" myself but mostly it's not worth it.  Hell, there are enough people here already. :D

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I forgot to add that sometimes I can be critical towards NJ, when I really only (mostly) mean the parts that are close to NYC (anything south of the NY state border to the north, past Bayonne to the south, and west past the oranges).  The one exception would be riding in Palisades, which is a nice little stretch.

The rest of NJ other than the highway is a bit out of my frame of reference, and while it all seems a bit 'off', that could just be my experience coloring the rest of the state for me.  I should also say that I consider the whole east coast a bit of a shithole, too, so there is that to consider.

I still recommend professional help, meds, and industrial decontamination and a swift exit from NJ, and maybe one day you would feel clean again.

What about Orange?  Isn't that where those classy motorcycle guys live?  

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, roadiejorge said:

;)

Fort Lee? 

11 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Yikes!

A more distressing paragraph, I feel, has never been written, as you seem a decent sort who sees the glass as mostly full. 

I have spent too much time in NJ (I worked there for six years, and had an unfortunate sublet in Jersey City for about six months), and feel that all derision towards NJ is actually collectively understated to a massive degree.  NJ is gawdawful and have often thought that the residents should all move so it could officially function as the garbage dump that it is.  That presents a problem, though, because native residents of NJ really are unfit to be in a functioning society, and besides, who would want them?  A bigger and more complete shithole could not be conceived of by man, short of some (only some) third world cesspools.

Whenever I see some asshole puking in the street, committing a petty crime, spitting on the sidewalk, behaving with no class or intelligence, yelling at a pregnant chick that she looks fat, not paying attention to anything other than the scratching of an ass or crotch, speaking loudly for no reason, standing on the left side of an escalator, driving like an idiot, or just expecting the world revolves around themselves, my first thought is "Go back to Jersey, dumbfuck!"

What I have written only scratches the surface of how I feel about NJ, and feel NJ's stench when I even get close to the Hudson.  It is horrible, an affront to the rest of the country.  I hope you will one day come to your senses and cleanse your soul of the layers of NJ that have clouded your thought patterns.  

Again, you seem a decent sort, I only wonder how someone could feel so positively toward NJ other than an act of will and an intentional break with reality.  If I believed in a god, I would pray for you.

Welcome to the forum, btw, I am sure we will get along fine, except for our thoughts on NJ!

The good thing about having grown up in a rough NYC neighborhood in the 80s is all of the stuff you mentioned are minor inconveniences. By the way, what you described could have been any NYC street on a Friday night. Now not so much I guess since the city's been yuppified. To each his own I suppose, but I haven't had the kind of negative experiences here that you described.