Image may contain: bridge and outdoor

Image may contain: tree, sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: outdoor and nature

Image may contain: outdoor

Image may contain: people riding bicycles, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: night

This photo is taken inside the tunnel where the ventilation system is housed. I heard they sealed this part of the tunnel off now so you can't explore it anymore. There is actually a tunnel over the tunnel for maintenance, offices, etc. It goes the whole two miles but you need a good light and a back up light to explore it.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

This photo is taken inside the tunnel where the ventilation system is housed. I heard they sealed this part of the tunnel off now so you can't explore it anymore. There is actually a tunnel over the tunnel for maintenance, offices, etc. It goes the whole two miles but you need a good light and a back up light to explore it.

Schnizzle - just looked back at the old LF/Bicycling archives for I post I made years ago about this tunnel, and I saw your:

I'm glad my wife doesn't read this. I'm leaving in the morning to go ride the abandoned turnpike tunnels by myself. Then I'm going to ride part of the GAP trail and do some white water kayaking on the Ohiopyle. She thought that didn't sound as dangerous as doing the Erie Canal by myself.

...and while I was doing that, YOU POSTED. Crazy coincidence???

Tom

• Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...and while I was doing that, YOU POSTED. Crazy coincidence???

Wow, I didn't know you could still access old LF posts. When I was about a mile back inside of the space over the tunnel I had a horrible thought, what if I dropped my flashlight and it broke? I would probably still be in there because it was like going through a maze to get there, stairways, turns, one place I had to walk across a plank over concrete channel full of water. I had to laugh as I was doing this because it was my wife's suggestion. I half expected to find skeletons or bears or some other scary thing in there.

• Awesome 1

Recently they've been opening up some old railway tunnels on abandoned lines that are now for leisure use, in the Peak District of Derbyshire. It's great they've done this as it really extends the range of riding that can be done. But I don't actually like riding the tunnels, they're cold on a warm day, dark, and dripping.

13 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

Recently they've been opening up some old railway tunnels on abandoned lines that are now for leisure use, in the Peak District of Derbyshire. It's great they've done this as it really extends the range of riding that can be done. But I don't actually like riding the tunnels, they're cold on a warm day, dark, and dripping.

The brick lined tunnels are scary if you shine a light up at the top. There always seems to be some missing bricks, they had to have fallen at some time. Keep your helmet on.

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

The brick lined tunnels are scary if you shine a light up at the top. There always seems to be some missing bricks, they had to have fallen at some time. Keep your helmet on.

I haven't noticed missing bricks - what you see in these tunnels though are stalactites, it is limestone country. Hence the drips.

2 minutes ago, parodybot said:

HE has returned and parody shall not bar his return.  Well, not much anyway.  I crafted a great Carl / AWWC parody and did not even get a slap down from Kzoo.  Why waste my time?

I have gotten too many slap downs so will no longer write parodies.  It is my goal to put Kzoo out of work. :)  

15 minutes ago, parodybot said:

HE has returned and parody shall not bar his return.  Well, not much anyway.  I crafted a great Carl / AWWC parody and did not even get a slap down from Kzoo.  Why waste my time?

I can't catch them all.  Link?

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

Wow! I didn't know it existed.  I'm a 2 1/2 drive from Breezewood and have relatives in Altoona, PA, another 1 1/2 hrs beyond.  I'm putting the Abandoned PA Turnpike on my to-do list!

It’s easy to get to. There are not many miles of turnpike so don’t expect to spend all day unless you really like to smell the roses. Make sure to sing inside the tunnels, it sounds awesome.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

On 10/6/2017 at 5:56 PM, Longjohn said:

It’s easy to get to. There are not many miles of turnpike so don’t expect to spend all day unless you really like to smell the roses. Make sure to sing inside the tunnels, it sounds awesome.

And look what just popped up on the Bicycle Times website!

Their tips:

If you go:
Parking is available on either end of the Pike 2 Bike. One parking area is just off Rt. 30 east of Breezewood on Tannery Road (it’s just a gravel pull-off). The other is off of Pump Station Road in Waterfall, PA.
The surface of the abandoned turnpike is a bit rough and crumbling in a lot of spots. I wouldn’t recommend taking a true road bike with 23c tires on it. Gravel/cross bikes, hybrids and even mountain bikes will offer a more comfortable and enjoyable ride. Basically, anything you’d ride on gravel would be fine.
While I enjoyed by lightless tunnel experience, make sure you bring a front light. I’d recommend using it for your first pass through the tunnel and then try going without once you make sure it’s clear from debris.
As always, be respectful of the land and other users, and be safe and use common sense.

And some reader comments/suggestions at the bottom of the page.

Tom

20 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

That looks pretty cool.  Maybe not cool enough for me to travel all the way there to ride it, but pretty cool nonetheless. :)

It’s not that far from the GAP (Greater Allegheny Passage) trail and the Ohiopyle river. Great riding and whitewater rapid for rafting and kayaking. If you are traveling to get to it make it one part of a many part adventure.