A few pics from the last trip.

Wilbur

9 minutes ago, roadiejorge said:

Neat! How was Venice? 

Absolutely stunning.  Interesting history and structures, nice people most of whom speak English so it is tourist simplified.  Food is great bur expensive near St Marks square.  Weather was perfect but lots of Tiger Mosquitos at dusk. 

1 minute ago, smudge said:

That top pic is amazing.

Is that you on the bike in the second pic?? :D

No, my head is a little shinier on top than his.  I want one of those bikes.  they are a primary source of transportation for many..  Battery runs down the seat post so you see people crying them all over the place to avoid theft.  Fast too.  They clip along at up to 30 mph. 

• Heart 1

Supposedly Venice, or Venezia, is supposedly a corruption of the ancient Latin for "I came this far."

Those who "came this far" were refugees fleeing the Italian invasion of Hannibal.

I guess they figured they'd build a city where it was tough for invaders to march all through town!

11 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Absolutely stunning.  Interesting history and structures, nice people most of whom speak English so it is tourist simplified.  Food is great bur expensive near St Marks square.  Weather was perfect but lots of Tiger Mosquitos at dusk. 

We stayed in Venice for a week, and explored the entire city, not just the touristy areas.

They say you have not experienced Venice until you've been lost in Venice, and I can tell ya that's the truth.

You have to go looking to find green spaces, but they are there, just hidden away.

The hotel we stayed in has been run by the same family for over 800 years. I imagine the business loan is probably paid off by now.

• Heart 1

Venice was packed when I was there....um over 25 yrs. ago.  We stayed in one of the islands near the city. Go there by water taxi.

Lucky you. How do you manage your sleep?  My emergency medicine doctor-sister works 12 hr. shifts into the night on weekends...she half-jokes: sleep disruption can shorten one's lifespan abit. It is her sacrifice...to be able to work part-time on a decent salary by working tough hrs.

26 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

We stayed in Venice for a week, and explored the entire city, not just the touristy areas.

They say you have not experienced Venice until you've been lost in Venice, and I can tell ya that's the truth.

You have to go looking to find green spaces, but they are there, just hidden away.

The hotel we stayed in has been run by the same family for over 800 years. I imagine the business loan is probably paid off by now.

I agree on getting lost.  Been there several times and know my way around reasonable though.  We stayed at a Best Western this time specifically for the location.  Location was a former convent and was surrounded by park with a private water taxi at the back and public transit through the park at the front.  It was away from St Marks so nice and quiet at night.  No bars near it so no drunks.  

• Heart 1

26 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Venice was packed when I was there....um over 25 yrs. ago.  We stayed in one of the islands near the city. Go there by water taxi.

Lucky you. How do you manage your sleep?  My emergency medicine doctor-sister works 12 hr. shifts into the night on weekends...she half-jokes: sleep disruption can shorten one's lifespan abit. It is her sacrifice...to be able to work part-time on a decent salary by working tough hrs.

Going East, we typically leave at 11 pm.  That has us landing at 11:30 am local time.  I go to bed for 2 hours then get up, get some exercise, clean up and head out for an early dinner.  I then turn in early and wake up at about 7 am local feeling very refreshed.  Coming back Westbound is a different story.  That takes meletonin and prescription sleep pills to reset in a hurry. :)  

So you need to take prescription sleep pills whenever to deal with major circadian rhythm disruptions?  I really didn't like taking prescripton sleeping pills and not even melatonin for long..I had to get my sleep on track...it was disrupted by concussion injury where one has to rest/sleep lots for recovery and rehab.  Another cyclist crashed into me in Vancouver.  It's been a long process.

Good long deep sleep is so precious. 

10 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Do people in Venice have flooded basements?  How did they build those buildings with all the water everywhere?

Good thing I asked the same question..  No, the foundations go below water but they have no basements.  Construction requires the damming and draining of canal segments to build or repair foundations. 

44 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

So you need to take prescription sleep pills whenever to deal with major circadian rhythm disruptions?  I really didn't like taking prescripton sleeping pills and not even melatonin for long..I had to get my sleep on track...it was disrupted by concussion injury where one has to rest/sleep lots for recovery and rehab.  Another cyclist crashed into me in Vancouver.  It's been a long process.

Good long deep sleep is so precious. 

I hate prescription sleeping aids but would rather have sleep.  Especially when our schedule may have us 8 time zones east away followed by 8 to ten zones west within a week.  Hazards of the job.