Good news for the forum.

airinpie

13 minutes ago, airinpie said:

I'm just happy I don't have to listen to a squeaky seatpost for 100 miles

My road shoes used to develop a squeak after about fifty miles. I thought it was the pedals or maybe the bottom bracket. It was embarrassing because after the first fifty miles you are riding with the more serious riders. Finally I decided to put SPD pedals on the road bike so I could wear my more comfortable shoes and I could walk when off the bike. Squeak was gone. :skipping:

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, Longjohn said:

My road shoes used to develop a squeak after about fifty miles. I thought it was the pedals or maybe the bottom bracket. It was embarrassing because after the first fifty miles you are riding with the more serious riders. Finally I decided to put SPD pedals on the road bike so I could wear my more comfortable shoes and I could walk when off the bike. Squeak was gone. :skipping:

Look pedals? They were notorious for squeaking. I use to spray mine with teflon lube.

20 hours ago, airinpie said:

My century is a week from today, and I'm pretty sure I'll never ride a bike again. Or talk about it. 

Is there something particularly unique about this upcoming century? I'm thinking you might be hyping it a wee bit.  It is just a bike ride, probably at whatever pace you choose, with folks to chat with, and places to stop, rest, & eat.

I'd say, you've got this covered.

Tom

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Is there something particularly unique about this upcoming century? I'm thinking you might be hyping it a wee bit.  It is just a bike ride, probably at whatever pace you choose, with folks to chat with, and places to stop, rest, & eat.

I'd say, you've got this covered.

Tom

It's my first one, so I'm just anxious of the unknown

30 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

It's a bike ride.  You go and you have fun.  If you stop having fun then you go home and have fun on a different day.  Bicycles are for fun.  Remember to never let them stop being fun.

It's a forum. Forums are for fun & learning. If it stops being fun, and you're not learning....

• Heart 1

On 10/8/2017 at 7:20 PM, airinpie said:

It's my first one, so I'm just anxious of the unknown

Well then, for your first, the only real advice I can offer (besides "YOU CAN DO IT!") is that you need to relax and pace yourself during the first 1/4 of the ride. The energy at the beginning can often be frenzied as folks have their caffeine topped off and are ready to get a move on. All levels of riders are together at the start, so it is easy to get sucked in to the thrill of riding with the pack, but it may turn out that particular pack is too fast or even too slow for you. If you know your normal "30 mile" or "50 mile" pace and rhythm, dial the pace back a little, get warmed up during the first few miles, and then keep something in the tank for the final 25miles. 

I've finished centuries with zero gas in the tank and some with reserves, and I prefer the "with reserves" feeling much more :)

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Tom

• Heart 2

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Well then, for your first, the only real advice I can offer (besides "YOU CAN DO IT!") is that you need to relax and pace yourself during the first 1/4 of the ride. The energy at the beginning can often be frenzied as folks have their caffeine topped off and are ready to get a move on. All levels of riders are together at the start, so it is easy to get sucked in to the thrill of riding with the pack, but it may turn out that particular pack is too fast or even too slow for you. If you know your normal "30 mile" or "50 mile" pace and rhythm, dial the pace back a little, get warmed up during the first few miles, and then keep something in the tank for the final 25miles. 

I've finished centuries with zero gas in the tank and some with reserves, and I prefer the "with reserves" feeling much more :)

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Tom

This ride is super flat. I've trained solely in the mountains here. We did a metric on a pretty flat course and I couldn't believe how much different I felt at the end. So much easier on the lungs/legs

• Heart 1

Just now, airinpie said:

This ride is super flat. I've trained solely in the mountains here. We did a metric on a pretty flat course and I couldn't believe how much different I felt at the end. So much easier on the lungs/legs

Hopefully you'll get that crap off your face before the ride.  Scary........

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, airinpie said:

How's the wind? Super flat is super easy, so if the wind is weak (or a tailwind), you'll zip though this one! 

Also, are you riding with folks or riding solo. If you have a nice group with you, time passes quickly. If you ride solo (I usually do), you can play cat and mouse to mix things up.

My last century was only 5,000 ft of climbing, and I had not ridden any crazy long distances leading up to it, but I had been focusing on funner, tougher, and more interesting riding (hills and improvised intervals). I was worried my butt would not be happy, but I finished feeling pretty darn good.  

Tom

25 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

How's the wind? Super flat is super easy, so if the wind is weak (or a tailwind), you'll zip though this one! 

Also, are you riding with folks or riding solo. If you have a nice group with you, time passes quickly. If you ride solo (I usually do), you can play cat and mouse to mix things up.

My last century was only 5,000 ft of climbing, and I had not ridden any crazy long distances leading up to it, but I had been focusing on funner, tougher, and more interesting riding (hills and improvised intervals). I was worried my butt would not be happy, but I finished feeling pretty darn good.  

Tom

This has less than 1,000 ft. I hurt my shoulder and missed some of my planned longer rides. Did a metric 2 weeks ago, and a 50 right before that. Lots of hills. They say the wind varies. It's by the ocean, so who knows. I'm starting with a couple of people, but we agreed to all ride our own pace. It's a huge event though, like 8,000 riders, so I'm sure I'll find plenty of people to talk to. 

• Heart 1