Can you listen to Bill Cosby or watch the his shows?

Randomguy

I am mixed on this.  My wife is repulsed by Cosby and his actions as accused.

I flew him a few times 20 years ago and got to know him reasonably well.  I never saw anything that would have one believe he was capable of such things.  He was always funny and personable.  Over the years when our paths cross at airports, he would stop to say hi and shoot the breeze.  

When witnesses come across as "not credible", it makes me wonder about the claims.  Maybe I just don't want to believe the worst. 

I couldn't be a jury member in a capital punishment case.  I would need rock solid evidence with absolutely no doubt to convict. 

• Heart 1

26 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

So 58 women are lying and Cosby is the only one telling the truth?

No.  I used to like him, but I can't watch his shows anymore.  

If that is your interpretation.   It isn't mine but it is all that has been proven so far.  Anyone can make accusations but the burden of proof lies with the accuser.  I am not saying he is innocent, he just hasn't been proven guilty. 

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

he just hasn't been proven guilty. 

How can you "prove" rapes that happened many years ago if you can't accept the word of almost 60 women?  That is one massive conspiracy.  That many women all lying about abuse and rape by the same man.  This is worse than the police framing OJ.  

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

How can you "prove" rapes that happened many years ago if you can't accept the word of almost 60 women?  That is one massive conspiracy.  That many women all lying about abuse and rape by the same man.  This is worse than the police framing OJ.  

That is the fundamental of law in the US and much of the world. No proof, no guilt. 

In a he said/ she said case, which is what this is, the credibility of the accusers is examined.  The one that went to trial, a Canadian, was found not to be a credible witness.  Lets see what the new trial results in. 

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I am mixed on this.  My wife is repulsed by Cosby and his actions as accused.

I flew him a few times 20 years ago and got to know him reasonably well.  I never saw anything that would have one believe he was capable of such things.  He was always funny and personable.  Over the years when our paths cross at airports, he would stop to say hi and shoot the breeze.  

When witnesses come across as "not credible", it makes me wonder about the claims.  Maybe I just don't want to believe the worst. 

I couldn't be a jury member in a capital punishment case.  I would need rock solid evidence with absolutely no doubt to convict. 

Obviously you were not his type.

• Heart 2

I can compartmentalize, and would like to have another listen to what I haven't heard since I was a kid.  I wouldn't focus on the the rapeyness.  That said, I probably would be thinking about all that if he did anything new, but I can't imagine him putting anything out or anyone giving him a platform these days.

I find the whole 60 women thing to be hard to believe, and knowing what I know about society, would guess that 75% (I have no basis for this number) of those accusations are complete BS.  That means you have that troublesome 25%, which is still a goodly number to draw from.  I imagine that he could have done enough to get locked away if some of those women contacted authorities right away, but dammit, if you get raped, you call the cops while you are harboring evidence on/in your person.  It is dumb that nobody did, you figure that some would have a variety of swirling emotions that may prevent them from doing so, but surely someone would come forward immediately.  Don't want to blame victims here, but you can't just claim you are a victim far after the fact when you can actually prove you are a victim right away instead.

I can't see how you can convict on hearsay, though, but there sure is a lot of smoke here.

• Heart 1

I remember when this story broke into my awareness. I was not surprised and said so. Not that I suspected him of anything, I just wasn't surprised. A lot of times this type of thing is too common. Weinstein being the latest.

To the point, I wouldn't know. I have never watched his shows and have only occasionally watched his comedy act. The Fat Albert bit was popular when I was young.

0cd2c60812be932f2d2cbe297e17a940--bill-c

I never liked his show in the 80s.  Simply because Ice T told me, "Shit ain't like that!".  

The show wasn't realistic and hardly represented normal family like in the 80s.  It wasn't an obtainable dream and the show never felt genuine.

As far as the rape allegations, I haven't invested the time to investigate.  I'm sure he did it because he's a black man with conservative values.  Those are the guys who always do the rape.  ?

DK

2 hours ago, Dunning Kruger said:

I never liked his show in the 80s.  Simply because Ice T told me, "Shit ain't like that!".  

The show wasn't realistic and hardly represented normal family like in the 80s.  It wasn't an obtainable dream and the show never felt genuine.

As far as the rape allegations, I haven't invested the time to investigate.  I'm sure he did it because he's a black man with conservative values.  Those are the guys who always do the rape.  ?

DK

Gx8aZw8.gif

My feelings on this are very similar to Wilbur and RG. Too many women never said anything. About a black man. In the 60's/70's. Really??  

And wasn't that when free love and drugs were all going on?

Even if he did offer them drugs, no one made the women take the drugs. 

Not saying anyone is "innocent." I just am not convinced this is what these women want everyone to believe.

• Heart 1