Heritage cowboy hatmakers & stompin' hats

shootingstar

On our way to local farmers' market yesterday, we noticed a nearly 100 yr. old business had a completely newly retrofitted building: they produce cowboy hats, feather hats, etc.   Yup, here in Canada, right in town, folks.  Just um....5 km. from home.  Frankly never paid attention until now.  I moved to our prairie city from Vancouver about 7 yrs. ago...so not exactly embedded in local lore and culture.

As a lark, there's fun to try to crush a hat...

If our city wins the Amazon HQ2 bid (which I doubt), they should celebrate via stompin' hats and drinking wine on the premises  --yeee- ha!

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The tramp stamp that is more of a tramp stamp than a tramp stamp. :)  Nothing says "I am an alcoholic whore" more than a straw cowboy hat in a tropical locale.  

Not aware of that tropical interpretation. :whistle:.   A straw hat is more bearable in July heat, up here when the Calgary Stampede is bustin' out for 2 wks.  I still haven't got any cowboy hat yet. I just like the free pancake breakfasts all over town.

Yes, sometimes occasionally you do see a cyclist here and there, wearing a cowboy straw hat instead of their helmet during the Stampede. It's taken several years, to even convince venue organizers to install bike racks.  And the venue is...downtown, the last place to find car parking during that busy time.  (Now, you understand how different our city is from Vancouver or Toronto.)

14 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Not aware of that tropical interpretation. :whistle:.   A straw hat is more bearable in July heat, up here when the Calgary Stampede is bustin' out for 2 wks.  I still haven't got any cowboy hat yet. I just like the free pancake breakfasts all over town.

Yes, sometimes occasionally you do see a cyclist here and there, wearing a cowboy straw hat instead of their helmet during the Stampede. It's taken several years, to even convince venue organizers to install bike racks.  And the venue is...downtown, the last place to find car parking during that busy time.  (Now, you understand how different our city is from Vancouver or Toronto.)

Oh, I am familiar.  I was an owner of a pub in the Eau Claire Market for about 8 years. :)  

7 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Am glad we haven't indulged in those Mexican dancing boots up north here!

Wilbur, you're probably aware they are tearing down Eau Claire Market for a completely new high rise, mixed use building.

Yes, I sold an airplane to the developer of it.  Nice family but I am not all that keen on the development. 

• Heart 1