Tubeless Question

ChrisL

Posting a bike ? here as I still have my doubt with the other pages...

Any of you run a tubeless set up with a non tubeless specific tire or have any thoughts to share on the matter?  I replaced one tire with a tubeless ready tire and moved the front non tubeless tire to the rear to burn it up quicker.  I had tons of gift certs for PB so took my bike to them to set up the front tubeless and asked if it was OK to do the rear.   The wrench said he wouldn't do it, it's not safe.

So last week I took my mtn bike in to "my shop" for service and the wrench asked me why the rear wasn't tubeless? I told him the wrench at the other place wouldn't do it, he said its not safe... My guy called B'S, said it's perfectly safe and set it up tubeless for free!?!?!?  BTW my shop freaking rocks that way...

It's a Stan's Arch rim with a Maxxis Ardent non tubeless  2.25 tire.  Any thoughts on the matter?

I've done it. In fact, we(everyone who ran tubeless) all did it before tubeless tires were the norm. If they got the bead to seat, you should be good. 

My old LBS stopped doing it because of the liability issue. You can blow the tire off the rim. I've never seen it happen though. 

I'm planning to buy a charger pump to make it easier. Some tires are a breeze with a floor pump, others are not. I've not had good luck with Small Block 8s. I had to take my last one to the shop to use their compressor.

What is PB?

21 minutes ago, dennis said:

I've done it. In fact, we(everyone who ran tubeless) all did it before tubeless tires were the norm. If they got the bead to seat, you should be good. 

My old LBS stopped doing it because of the liability issue. You can blow the tire off the rim. I've never seen it happen though. 

I'm planning to buy a charger pump to make it easier. Some tires are a breeze with a floor pump, others are not. I've not had good luck with Small Block 8s. I had to take my last one to the shop to use their compressor.

What is PB?

Thanks for the info! PB = Performance Bike... 

14 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Wow, someone actually has a Performance Bikes storefront nearby.  I always have to deal with them or their cousin Nashbar online.

Somebody does but not me.  And I don't think of Nashbar as a cousin, more like a sister.

Just now, Kzoo said:

And the one in A2 is the one I try to visit while cursing through.  Nice that they have a REI there as well.  We have neither close to Kzoo.

I've only been to the A2 store. Novi is the other location. I've been to REI Northville countless times. The first PB I've been to was in Columbus, OH. Many years ago, late '80's, Bike Nashbar had a store in Livonia.

18 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Wow, someone actually has a Performance Bikes storefront nearby.  I always have to deal with them or their cousin Nashbar online.

SoCal has them all over.  I have one about 5 miles from me to the west. Another one about 10 miles to the east and a third about 25 miles to the south. There is a 4th about 40 miles north of me but was close to my old office so I hit that one up too.  

I get a lot of supplies like tubes, lube & assorted little stuff.  I also like their Ultra bibs.  I generally don't have them do service except that one time they set up my mtn  bike tubeless.  Actually I took it to my shop to retubeless the tire as the tire had a wobble to it.  The tweaked the rim trying to mount it and jacked up the tape so part of it was between the tire & bead causing more of a wobble.

I had my guys true it up and re do it right and was rewarded with a 2 for 1 deal!