What are you reading?

airinpie

Just started a book on Kindle, The Honest Spy by Andreas Kollender - historical fiction dealing with a couple spies during WWII.

I don't do a lot of ebooks (I like to touch the paper).  This is probably the second ebook in the last 4 or 5 years.  UB's Killing Karma the only other one.

I am not currently reading anything, but I will say that some of the YA stuff my daughter reads is really great.  When she grows up I will miss having a socially acceptable reason to read this stuff.

The last thing I read was Steinbeck's Tortilla Flat a few weeks ago.  I do not think it ranks among his best.

Patrick O'Brian's " The Thirteen Gun Salute". It is the 13th book in O'Brian's 20 book "Master and Commander" series.  It is currently my  3rd or 4th time working my way through the series.  It is sort of my fallback when I finish a book and have nothing new in the wings, I pick up where I left off.  Historically accurate accounts of life aboard the tall ships in the age of sail.

IMG_0307.JPG

• Heart 1

I just finished a book one of my residents gave me...a north country author..little essays on life on the North Shore of Lake Superior. Been looking at finding another Jack Reacher..but also thinking about a Nora Roberts Trilogy (a re-read) witches on the east coast...goes well with the Halloween season....

41fH8+1aGlL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Originally published in 1776, the writing style sometimes makes for slow reading.

In one part Adam Smith writes about how 'princes and sovereign nations' tended to reduce the amount of gold or silver contained in their coins.  This allowed them to mint more coins with less precious metal, and pay off contracts with coins that were worth less because the contracts were based on the quantity of coins owed and not the amount of gold or silver in the coin.  Of course, the creditors took the stick in the eye when they got paid with the devalued coins.

And I realized he was writing about basically the same thing governments do today by over-printing currency...

Recently wrapped up three books and am moving on to a new one.

The Invention of Nature: Alexander von Humboldt's New World - by Andrea Wulf (non-fiction) - HIGHLY RECOMMEND

AWOL on the Appalachian Trail - by David Miller (non-fiction) - STRONGLY RECOMMEND if you like hiking/adventure

The Short Drop - by Matthew FitzSimmons (thriller/fiction) - a solid "commuter" or "beach" thriller

and just started last night:

The Banished of Muirwood - by Jeff Wheeler (fantasy/fiction).

I am also eagerly awaiting the third installment of the Brandon Sanderson Stormlight series - Oathbringer. If you are a fan of fantasy, Sanderson is very solid. Check out Tor's website where he is a fairly regular focus, and there is even the pre-release of Oathbringer chapters leading up to the actual release of the full book. I'm just going to wait until the book comes out to read it, rather than in drips week-to-week, but it is nice.

Also, AWOL, Short Drop, Muirwood, and the first Stormlight book were all FREE. The first three from Amazon Prime and the last from the Tor website months ago.

Tom

21 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Recently wrapped up three books and am moving on to a new one.

The Invention of Nature: Alexander von Humboldt's New World - by Andrea Wulf (non-fiction) - HIGHLY RECOMMEND

AWOL on the Appalachian Trail - by David Miller (non-fiction) - STRONGLY RECOMMEND if you like hiking/adventure

The Short Drop - by Matthew FitzSimmons (thriller/fiction) - a solid "commuter" or "beach" thriller

and just started last night:

The Banished of Muirwood - by Jeff Wheeler (fantasy/fiction).

I am also eagerly awaiting the third installment of the Brandon Sanderson Stormlight series - Oathbringer. If you are a fan of fantasy, Sanderson is very solid. Check out Tor's website where he is a fairly regular focus, and there is even the pre-release of Oathbringer chapters leading up to the actual release of the full book. I'm just going to wait until the book comes out to read it, rather than in drips week-to-week, but it is nice.

Also, AWOL, Short Drop, Muirwood, and the first Stormlight book were all FREE. The first three from Amazon Prime and the last from the Tor website months ago.

Tom

Did you like the Mistborn series? I've got it already, just haven't started it. 

23 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

Doing edits and rewrites on the first ten chapters of Cold Karma, the third James McCarthy adventure. Also plotting book four and working on some details for a new series based on Nestor Yazzi, a character introduced in book two. 

When do you travel to Hollywood to consult on the making of the Killing Karma movie?  We want pics.

8 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

I'm thinking it would make a better TV series. Now I just have to find a producer who feels the same way.

That Weinstein guy is likely free. If not him, how about the Rockford Files producers? Chas. Floyd Johnson & J. Rickley Dumm seem to both still be alive. And they also worked on classics like Magnum PI(!!!!!) and Riptide.

Tom