I need a 16' long conference table

jsharr

Preferably in gray or black and racetrack shaped.  Pedestal legs.  Power and date ports built in.    Oh and I need it yesterday.  My boss is not big on planning.  I have only been working on having the conference room added for the last couple of months.....  I have been sending him ideas and quotes.  Custom table is 6 to 8 weeks.  In stock tables do not check all the boxes.

Cannot mount the monitor, etc until I have the table in the room and positioned where he wants it.

Boss is OCD to the max.  You could drive him insane by giving him a framed picture of the Leaning Tower of Piza.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Custom table is 6 to 8 weeks.  In stock tables do not check all the boxes.

Rent a table or even two 8' tables for the 8 - 10 weeks it takes to get the custom table ordered and in place. 

Ask your OCD boss to prioritize all the features he wants highest to lowest.  Where the rental tables don't meet all the needs, get a price to add that in.  Run the price past your OCD boss and ask him to approve the cost for the temporary set up.  OCD boss may be willing to settle for the temporary set up less a couple features if he knows the permanent one is on the way.

In parallel with the rental, move ahead with the custom table.  Do all the work of getting the submittal for the custom table together into a single package with an executive summary and a picture/rendering up front.  Then have your OCD boss sign off on the submittal before you give the approval for manufacturing.

CYA? You betcha.  That 16' custom table isn't going back once it arrives and if there's anything missing or sub-par about it you don't want to be the one that bought the big white elephant in the conference room that the OCD boss is constantly irritated with.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Rent a table or even two 8' tables for the 8 - 10 weeks it takes to get the custom table ordered and in place. 

Ask your OCD boss to prioritize all the features he wants highest to lowest.  Where the rental tables don't meet all the needs, get a price to add that in.  Run the price past your OCD boss and ask him to approve the cost for the temporary set up.  OCD boss may be willing to settle for the temporary set up less a couple features if he knows the permanent one is on the way.

In parallel with the rental, move ahead with the custom table.  Do all the work of getting the submittal for the custom table together into a single package with an executive summary and a picture/rendering up front.  Then have your OCD boss sign off on the submittal before you give the approval for manufacturing.

CYA? You betcha.  That 16' custom table isn't going back once it arrives and if there's anything missing or sub-par about it you don't want to be the one that bought the big white elephant in the conference room that the OCD boss is constantly irritated with.

Great advice.  Prior to my original posting I did the following.

Already reached out to rental agency about short term rental as well as to building managament as they hold all sorts of event here and may be able to rent to us short term.

Already have quotes and colors on the table in 14' and 16' lengths with and without power and data.  I added the power and a data to our current table and he likes the set up I came up with and I have the hole saws needed, etc.

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Can the cars switch lanes?  If not, how do they make it fair for the car taking the outside line?

No they cannot, but because of the wider arc as you move out, the cars on the outside can take the curve at a much higher rate of speed.  It pretty much makes them even.