Huge Wild Fire In My Area

ChrisL

My neighborhoods are safe but some of my favorite mtn bike trails are likely to burn up and the fire is spreading towards homes, several have already burned.  The warning area stretches into densely populated neighborhoods several miles downwind of the fires and the winds are blowing hard today.  We're not just talking remote canyon neighborhoods mind you but areas well away from the foothills and densely populated.

Not smart enough to link sites on my phone but if you look up Canyon Fire you can read about it.  Looks like a bad one...

11 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

The evening news was talking about over 1000 destroyed homes. :(

There are also fires burning in NorCal, not sure that's the fire down south. Ive read some housez have burned but i dont think that many have burned inbour fire.

Trying to get news feeds at work but will probably leave a little early.

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

such a beautiful part of the country, so sad. Hope you're safe, Chris.

1 hour ago, petitepedal said:

Stay safe..but damn...Wine Country :o

Thanks im good. I'm in Southern .CA, 6 hours drive south of Napa.   The Canyon Fire 2 started in a undeveloped area really close to homes and is burning 3 of my favorite mtn bike areas and areas i ride often on my road bike as well.  Its about 10 miles north of me.  There are many homes right up on nature areas in jeopardy.

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Thanks im good. I'm in Southern .CA, 6 hours drive south of Napa.   The Canyon Fire 2 started in a undeveloped area really close to homes and is burning 3 of my favorite mtn bike areas and areas i ride often on my road bike as well.  Its about 10 miles north of me.  There are many homes right up on nature areas in jeopardy.

You were correct.  The news story on the thousand home loss was in northern Cali.  Down you way they just finished a special on how the grape farmers were in panic harvest mode because of the high temps.  Last week they were worried about raisins.  I guess this week the whole farm is up for grabs.

Good luck

So things got a little interesting yesterday evening.... My brother and his adult daughter both live near the fires and were given notice to prepare to evacuate.  They both asked if they could shack up with me if they had to leave.... The truly scary thing is they live well away from the foothills so miles of neighborhoods would have had to burn for it to hit them.  Fortunately the winds calmed down as they usually do around sunset and the fire shifted.  News is reporting around 25 houses burned mostly in the foothill communities.

I mentioned earlier my favorite mtn bike areas burned up and an area I often park to go ride was promenantly featured by news crews with the fire raging behind them.....  it'll recover but I won't be riding there this winter and maybe not the spring either.  Sucks too as the trails to the south and east of me are very rugged with extremely steep technical climbs.  The area that burned was perfect for me as it had it all, flat trails, moderate hills and lung busting technical trails....

I used to live in SoCal and it was always disconcerting to see the fires on your drive home from work, even if they were far enough away not to be a threat.  Glad you're in SoCal ChrisL, since I think those are less dangerous at the moment, but I hope they get both sets of fire under control asap.

1 hour ago, BuffJim said:

So are these fires just beginning, or is the end in sight. The one picture of the entire neighborhood gone is jarring. I think you said that's north of SF.

I really haven't been following the NorCal fires but the one locally started yesterday, settled down overnight and is burning remote areas that are not inhabited.  The winds are picking up again today but won't be as bad as yesterday.  Short answer is we don't know what they'll do...

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

The extent of their fires is really tragic, far worse than ours..  That's the issue when there are pockets of urbinazation around wilderness areas.  When it goes up in flames it takes everything with it.

True particularly with the Santa Anna winds, that blow in the autumn.  I worked with fellows in Colorado that would fight fire on our crew during the summer, and then go to California in the autumn, get their red cards and part time jobs until the area started to burn.  They stayed very busy. I spent some time on the Cleveland National Forest and about a week around Fresno one year.

49 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

True particularly with the Santa Anna winds, that blow in the autumn.  I worked with fellows in Colorado that would fight fire on our crew during the summer, and then go to California in the autumn, get their red cards and part time jobs until the area started to burn.  They stayed very busy. I spent some time on the Cleveland National Forest and about a week around Fresno one year.

Yep every fall... Aug through Oct are the warmest months and the winds can be fierce. Cleveland National Forest is just due East/Southeast of me.