project tubeless...

bikeman564™

1 minute ago, dennis said:

What kind of rims? What was your method?

Sun Ringle Multfut 80 rims a/ Schwable Jumbo Jim tires.

I used gorilla tape to seal the cutouts in lieu of the Sun Ringle rim tape. Sealant is tire medic by serfas. After sealing the rim, I placed the tube back in, inflated it to seat the bead, then broke the bead on one side, and pulled out the tube. I seen this tip on a youtube video. This way one bead is already seated. I did this at work because I don't have an air compressor at home. First time the bead seated fine. Ever 10 minutes I'd move the tire around to coat the inside. That sealant is very sticky.

6 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Sun Ringle Multfut 80 rims a/ Schwable Jumbo Jim tires.

I used gorilla tape to seal the cutouts in lieu of the Sun Ringle rim tape. Sealant is tire medic by serfas. After sealing the rim, I placed the tube back in, inflated it to seat the bead, then broke the bead on one side, and pulled out the tube. I seen this tip on a youtube video. This way one bead is already seated. I did this at work because I don't have an air compressor at home. First time the bead seated fine. Ever 10 minutes I'd move the tire around to coat the inside. That sealant is very sticky.

I have Surly Holy Rolling Darryls. They are not tubleless compatible. Setting them up tubeless seems like a total pain in the ass, so I use Q-tubes superlights. I've had one flat in 7 years. 

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Very cool.  How much sealant do those need?  I gave up the ghost trying to seat the bead without a compressor.  They guys at the shop got a solid "pop" in about 2 seconds using one.

Thx. My LBS guy said to use  1½ bottles / tire, the bottles are 4.2 floz.  With the sealant, valves stems, and tape the conversion cost me about $55.

I used one a year ago. It's a lot of work to charge it. Then you release the lever and your tire inflates. I struggled a couple of weeks ago with a Small Block 8. I ended up going to the shop and using their compressor. I've always used a floor pump and had it work. 

I might try it on my fatbike, just not sure if it's worth the effort.

55 minutes ago, dennis said:

I have Surly Holy Rolling Darryls. They are not tubleless compatible. Setting them up tubeless seems like a total pain in the ass, so I use Q-tubes superlights. I've had one flat in 7 years. 

Rolling Darryls work fine tubeless.  Same method for all the rims with holes.

13 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

As I said, I used three because of the gorilla tape width, but if you buy the actual rim tape it would be one layer.

Out of curiosity as I don't have a fat bike, when you apply the tape over the cut outs in the rim isn't the sticky part of the tape exposed over the holes?  Wouldnt gunk stick to the tape?

Just now, ChrisL said:

Out of curiosity as I don't have a fat bike, when you apply the tape over the cut outs in the rim isn't the sticky part of the tape exposed over the holes?  Wouldnt gunk stick to the tape?

No. The orange that you see is orange duct tape w/ the top side of the tape facing thru the cutouts. You can have the sticky side face in and then apply the gorilla tape to seal the rim it. Or do as I did. I doubled the orange tape on itself and just have it wrapped around the inside of the rim held in place by the gorilla tape. I hope this makes sense.

5 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

No. The orange that you see is orange duct tape w/ the top side of the tape facing thru the cutouts. You can have the sticky side face in and then apply the gorilla tape to seal the rim it. Or do as I did. I doubled the orange tape on itself and just have it wrapped around the inside of the rim held in place by the gorilla tape. I hope this makes sense.

Yeah totally! Thanks!

• Heart 1

I just had both tires set up tubeless on my mtn bike, previously just the front was. Honestly I'm not sure it was worth the hassle. I rarely got flats as I ride mostly soft over hardpack. Very few thorns or sharp rocks to puncture and shred tires.... Being over 200 lbs i dont run super low psi either.

Well see how it goes with both tubeless but I don't think I'll notice much difference.

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I just had both tires set up tubeless on my mtn bike, previously just the front was. Honestly I'm not sure it was worth the hassle. I rarely got flats as I ride mostly soft over hardpack. Very few thorns or sharp rocks to puncture and shred tires.... Being over 200 lbs i dont run super low psi either.

Well see how it goes with both tubeless but I don't think I'll notice much difference.

The benefits, in my opinion, are the lack of flats and the ability to run a lower psi. Your traction improves dramatically. The bike handles better and you can ride faster with more control. I can go to 27/29 on a 29er. 15 psi on my 27.5+. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, dennis said:

The benefits, in my opinion, are the lack of flats and the ability to run a lower psi. Your traction improves dramatically. The bike handles better and you can ride faster with more control. I can go to 27/29 on a 29er. 15 psi on my 27.5+. 

I've got a 27.5 2.2 tires and go 30 front 35 rear but I think I can go a tad lower, especially in the front.  I do run a bit lower with tubeless but only about 5 psi lower.  Flats were not an issue before nor after.

update:

This morning the rear tire felt about the same firmness as it did yesterday, and the front felt a tad softer but not too much. It appears the tubeless conversion worked decently. I inflated both tires to 10 psi before I left for work today to get a measurable leakage amount later ;)  Long as I can ride for a few hours I'll be happy. It's weird to spin the tire and hear the sealant sloshing around. One of the youtube videos I watched (might of been Park Tool) mentioned some leakage overtime is normal w/ a tubeless setup. What say you tubeless folks?

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

One of the youtube videos I watched (might of been Park Tool) mentioned some leakage overtime is normal w/ a tubeless setup. What say you tubeless folks?

For the few months that I had one tire tubed and one tubeless i noticed the tubeless tire lost air more quickly than the tubed tire.