Icefields Parkway

Parsnip Totin Jack

http://www.icefieldsparkway.ca/

@petitepedal is talking about riding this in year or two as a sequel to the Great Adventure. I'm interested. Posting this to gauge interest and get forum feedback.

144 miles riding with Petite. How long will this take?

The parkway runs along the Continental Divide in the Canadian Rockies from Jasper in the north to Lake Louise in the south. There is lodging at either end, but not much in between, just a few campgrounds. 

Plan to bikepack a few nights?

Fly into Calgary/Edmonton and drive up/over to Jasper? Fly into one city and out of the other to see more?

discus

Just bear in mind this is a narrow two lane road and listed as the most scenic drive in Canada.  Which means lots of traffic. (Read that as really old people driving really big RVs).  You are going to want to get on top of it as the sites fill up super fast and reservations are a must as normally the campgrounds are booked solid all summer.

Let me know when you are looking.  Some of my summer is already booked for next year, but you will only be a little more than a days drive from me so who knows?  

• Heart 1

48 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Just bear in mind this is a narrow two lane road and listed as the most scenic drive in Canada.  Which means lots of traffic. (Read that as really old people driving really big RVs).  You are going to want to get on top of it as the sites fill up super fast and reservations are a must as normally the campgrounds are booked solid all summer.

Let me know when you are looking.  Some of my summer is already booked for next year, but you will only be a little more than a days drive from me so who knows?  

Good to know, thanks. Maybe I'll go in winter when there's less traffic. I wonder if @petitepedal can get a fatbike? :lol:

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Old#7 said:

http://www.icefieldsparkway.ca/

@petitepedal is talking about riding this in year or two as a sequel to the Great Adventure. I'm interested. Posting this to gauge interest and get forum feedback.

144 miles riding with Petite. How long will this take?

The parkway runs along the Continental Divide in the Canadian Rockies from Jasper in the north to Lake Louise in the south. There is lodging at either end, but not much in between, just a few campgrounds. 

Plan to bikepack a few nights?

Fly into Calgary/Edmonton and drive up/over to Jasper? Fly into one city and out of the other to see more?

discus

I would think it depends on your available time free and when you want to go.

I could easily see a Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, Banff, Jasper sort of super-parks vacation.  And that's just skimming the surface, but would require a couple weeks (or more).  Of course, as everyone has mentioned, crowding rapidly becomes an issue during the tourist season, and that far north, you start gambling with shoulder-season.  I was recently looking at some camping & cycling options near Glacier, and that general area (from Tetons up through lower BC/Alberta) would be part of the plan.

Tom