How Many Of These Folks Are Here????

Razors Edge

7 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I have avatars of the most prolific posters (15 pages).  I downloaded them just before the place imploded.  If anyone is interested.

You will have to be more specific! It imploded MANY times over the past five years or so. :runcirclsmiley:

Tom 

I see my avatar on the list - I decided I'd use a bicycle pic for here. Over there I used a cropped version of my Peabody Institute of Johns Hopkins University ACE Recital video cap where I'm playing Chopin's Prelude in E Minor on a Steinway Concert Grande Piano:

59dd60043477d_MickeyMay2006-04.jpg.9e92a497bf4d3f3c1fe9449a1e3e09f4.jpg

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, dennis said:

I had dinner with him the night before the Arrowhead in 2014. His hub froze the next day. -40F is a bitch to ride a bike.

That ride/race report was arguably his greatest ever. I actually felt sorry for him.  It was a shame he used the wrong grease (or didn't keep it warm prior to the ride).

Tom

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

That ride/race report was arguably his greatest ever. I actually felt sorry for him.  It was a shame he used the wrong grease (or didn't keep it warm prior to the ride).

Tom

Nothing worked that day. My computer froze immediately. Phones didn't work. A lot of frostbite. Lights failed. My corneas froze. I think JayP's hub froze too and he walked the last three miles. One guy claims to have pee'd in snow to melt it and drink it. Not sure about that one, but it was f'ing cold. I swear it was -50F when I crossed Elephant Lake. 

Mittens is a hoot. He would liven this place up. 

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I think he and Soy dreamed of buying a cottage/cabin up in the UP. I think they finally achieved that dream. NTTIAWWT.

Tom

I think that things with them would have devolved into a seething hatred of one another, always having to be right about the finer points of beer snobbery.  It was because of them that I started claiming to like Zima, the snobbery was just insufferable.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, dennis said:

I had dinner with him the night before the Arrowhead in 2014. His hub froze the next day. -40F is a bitch to ride a bike.

I remember that thread about the race. He had the right grease, according to the mfr. It still froze. I said run it dry the next time.

2 hours ago, dennis said:

So is -40°C. :D

I worked on an aircraft that needed a special grease for a set of jackscrews for the elevator trim. Fools would use the wrong grease and the pilots had to fly manually as autopilot or trim wouldn't work when the grease froze at high altitudes. Talk about some pissed pilots!

10 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

So is -40°C. :D

I worked on an aircraft that needed a special grease for a set of jackscrews for the elevator trim. Fools would use the wrong grease and the pilots had to fly manually as autopilot or trim wouldn't work when the grease froze at high altitudes. Talk about some pissed pilots!

Couldn't the pilots do a wing walk & piss on the frozen parts to free them up? I did that once on a frozen car lock, it worked, then immediately refroze more worse.

• Heart 1

• 2 years later...

My old logo of me playing Chopin's Prelude in E Minor on a Steinway Concert Grand Piano at the ACE Recital of the Peabody Institute of Johns Hopkins University is on the list, but I thought a picture of me riding a bike in the snow was more fitting and macho!

Actual uncropped snow pic, actual extent of the snow:

1370883038_2014.3.8BWITrailbelowObs_Pk.3.sml25.jpg.eed1e4ad63f010141cc7eda7f3aab85d.jpg 733928933_2014.3.8.BWITrailbelowObs_Pk.4.thumb.jpg.73b3f5813355c3d46c97bf4e8d385423.jpg

Old logo, screencap it came from:

avatar.jpg.ae45f1fabe05694f38e9ba1daa8ff28f.jpg 847223402_MickeyMay2006-06impr.jpg.9f9cad84f9ca32cdc563d328b6195f6c.jpg