Sign in to follow this  
Razors Edge

Catalan - Will This Mess With Travel?

Barcelona is obviously a popular spot to visit. It is also an economic force in that area. At what point does the independence movement there start to mess with travel (or even safety)?

The leader of Catalonia, Carles Puigdemont, said on Tuesday evening that his region had earned the right to independence from Spain, but he immediately suspended the process to allow for talks with the central government in Madrid.

In a long-awaited speech to the regional parliament in Barcelona, Mr. Puigdemont said that the Catalan people had offered a “mandate” for independence, but he left open the door to negotiations and reiterated a call for mediation.

The speech appeared to constitute a tight balancing act, defying Madrid’s denunciations of the region’s independence referendum as illegal and invalid, while stopping short of offering an immediate and outright declaration of independence. Mr. Puigdemont also was trying to placate several factions within his unwieldy alliance of separatist lawmakers, who control a majority of the seats in the Catalan Parliament after winning 48 percent of the votes in 2015.

The carefully worded speech, however, confused some lawmakers, and as it ended, Mr. Puigdemont did not receive any applause from the far-left secessionist lawmakers whose support has been key to keep the independence movement on course.

Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy of Spain has rejected any dialogue with Catalan separatists unless they abandon plans for secession, and Mr. Puigdemont and his allies could in theory be arrested for sedition, and the Catalan parliament disbanded.

Tom

Never mind the travel thing, this is pretty messed up. The Spanish govt being heavy handed trying to stop the referendum - people should never be brutalised whilst simply attempting to vote, the threat of withdrawal of autonomy for the region, Catalonia finding no foreign support for its campaign, their president having to back off from declaring UDI, well messed up I tell you. Spain's pretty new to this democracy malarkey, this could yet end in tears.

3 hours ago, pedalphile said:

Never mind the travel thing, this is pretty messed up. The Spanish govt being heavy handed trying to stop the referendum - people should never be brutalised whilst simply attempting to vote, the threat of withdrawal of autonomy for the region, Catalonia finding no foreign support for its campaign, their president having to back off from declaring UDI, well messed up I tell you. Spain's pretty new to this democracy malarkey, this could yet end in tears.

It is actually VERY disturbing. I read as the "illegal" referendum approached and as the Catalans planned how to distribute and store and eventually use and count ballot boxes, how the Spanish government openly and strongly moved to try to stop the vote. The actions on the day f the vote were even more egregious.

To me, it is always legit to vote on something - from dogcatcher to secession - so what the Spanish government is doing (suppressing the vote), and the EU, and the other nations of the region and world, is something out of past centuries and not something that should be ignored or accepted as "okay".  I don't think it should be easy to break a country up into pieces, but it also should be, in a first world country, something that can be discussed among adults.

Tom 

32 minutes ago, donkpow said:

California is always talking about secession.

Which is their right. Who would ever prevent a state or states from talking about it or throwing it on their ballot? It is only the first step in a long and potentially ugly process, so knowing what folks want from their state and national governments would seem important to know.

Tom

44 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

What is it? A couple hour flight for you? Get down there and sort this stuff out.

Tom

I try to be environmentally friendly so do not fly much, but a ferry to Bilbao and a lumpy bike ride through the Pyrenees to Barca has allus appealed, might take longer than a cpl of hours though.

9 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

I try to be environmentally friendly so do not fly much, but a ferry to Bilbao and a lumpy bike ride through the Pyrenees to Barca has allus appealed, might take longer than a cpl of hours though.

DO IT!  Preserve the peace in that neck of the woods. We've got enough problems elsewhere, and I think the UK is already too far gone for you to waste any more of your "adultness" on it.

Tom