Charlotte NC

Airehead

My coworkers son had his wedding on NYE last year (black tie optional).  The parents weren't thrilled with the idea originally, but the couple and their friends really liked it, and after the fact, the parents liked it as well.   If the groom is the right guy for daughter #3,, it will be perfect whatever decisions she makes.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I see four poor ones already. You are going to be working late.

Tom

Mr. Aire said the same thing.  I'm still mad that I saw the engagement on Facebook an hour before they called, but I am trying to be an adult.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Mr. Aire said the same thing.  I'm still mad that I saw the engagement on Facebook an hour before they called, but I am trying to be an adult.

Further proof that Facebook is evil. .

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, 12string said:

I hate destination Weddings.  So presumptive!

Also presumptive that people are free to travel during one of the most heavily traveled periods immediately after the most heavily traveled period of the year, and immediately after the most expensive period of the year, that they have the time to do this after probably taking days off during the holidays, and also that they either have tuxes or want to rent them for a black-tie wedding many probably can't really afford to go to.

Can you just disown these people, Airehead?

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Also presumptive that people are free to travel during one of the most heavily traveled periods immediately after the most heavily traveled period of the year, and immediately after the most expensive period of the year, that they have the time to do this after probably taking days off during the holidays, and also that they either have tuxes or want to rent them for a black-tie wedding many probably can't really afford to go to.

Can you just disown these people, Airehead?

RG has been mean to me recently, so I have been avoiding liking his posts for the most part.  But this post is extremely insightful.  My son's wedding plan last year seemed to be totally oblivious to the fact that it was so inconvenient and presented so many problems for the participants and attendees.  I guess the bride is the only one who counts.  

• Heart 1

:)

Only the bride and groom (and an officiant) have to be there. No one's holding a gun to anyone's head.

I gotta say, I LOVE destination weddings.  Had one a while back in Germany - GREAT.  Had one on the beach in Mexico - GREAT. Had one in Vegas - GREAT. 

Actually, looking back on it, I haven't been to a local wedding in years.  One about five years ago and another a decade ago. Pretty much all the others - and there have been quite a few - have been ones I have to travel to, so, if I gotta travel, it would definitely be best to travel somewhere that is actually fun to visit.

I've been trying to get my next-in-line-to-get-married cousin to get married in Spain next year. I'm hoping she does and that Peds sorts out the Catalan mess by then as well. 

Tom

My wife and I went to a black tie destination wedding this past weekend - about 2 miles away.

We were away camping, had to drive back for the wedding, then back to the campground.

Didn't do the black tie, only about half the attendees did.  For a black tie backyard wedding that cost well into 6 figures, it was quite the casual affair.  Bride's parents aren't at all snooty, they just have too much money and love to share it, parties are their favorite way to spend money.  The band alone was about $20K.  Cause DJs aren't as fun as really good live music.

• Heart 1

My wife's family is from the DC area and her two brothers and her were married out of state. At the yougest brothers wedding my MIL was grousing about having to travel to all of her kids weddings.  My wife chimed in, what are you talking about you weren't invited to mine!?!?!?  

We ran off to Vegas so it was just us, well and Elvis!

• Heart 3

21 hours ago, Airehead said:

I'm still mad that I saw the engagement on Facebook an hour before they called, but I am trying to be an adult.

I would suggest you maintain your adult composure and post on Facebook that no way are you paying for the wedding because of this.

:runcirclsmiley:

Then call them an hour later and say "Kidding!!". 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

:)

. . .

I gotta say, I LOVE destination weddings.  Had one a while back in Germany - GREAT.  Had one on the beach in Mexico - GREAT. Had one in Vegas - GREAT. 

. . . 

Tom

You're getting a lot of experience getting married in exotic locales. 

3 hours ago, Ltdskilz said:

Don't want to accept (too far, too expensive), but don't want to decline (too many hurt feelings, etc.).

I would suggest sending back the invitation saying you'll accept, but only if the bride and groom give you a loan to pay for the trip.

Then, when they turn you down you can say they obviously didn't want you to show up anyway and it's their fault you couldn't go to the wedding.

20 hours ago, Road Runner said:

RG has been mean to me recently, so I have been avoiding liking his posts for the most part.  But this post is extremely insightful.  My son's wedding plan last year seemed to be totally oblivious to the fact that it was so inconvenient and presented so many problems for the participants and attendees.  I guess the bride is the only one who counts.  

Wrong!  I haven't been mean, I just liked saying 'wrong!' in a couple of your threads on one day.

4 hours ago, Airehead said:

She lives there. :( 

Well shoot, you didn't say she lived there, a destination wedding is by definition a wedding chosen for a reason other than proximity to anyone's home base.  "Hey mom, we decided to get married in Aruba" or "We thought everyone would be happy to come to our wedding at the Great Barrier Reef", stuff like that.

I do think it might be a bad idea to get married on NYE, though.  Since half of all marriages end horribly, she has of 50% chance of ruining NYE as a good occasion for herself.