Project fatass

airinpie

1 minute ago, airinpie said:

Yes. But we've agreed to ride our own ride. So if I keep up we'll ride together, if not I'm on my own. 

If he isn't going too fast you can draft him and save over 20% of your energy but if he is going faster than you like you are better off to stay at your own speed and finish whenever you do. If I was your hubby I would ride your pace and have you draft me but either way you are going to do fine.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

If he isn't going too fast you can draft him and save over 20% of your energy but if he is going faster than you like you are better off to stay at your own speed and finish whenever you do. If I was your hubby I would ride your pace and have you draft me but either way you are going to do fine.

He did that with me on the metric. We are driving to Maryland so he can ride this with his brother. I'm ok with it. The cap on the ride is like 8k people, so hopefully I'll find some packs to ride with. 

1 minute ago, airinpie said:

He did that with me on the metric. We are driving to Maryland so he can ride this with his brother. I'm ok with it. The cap on the ride is like 8k people, so hopefully I'll find some packs to ride with. 

Out of 8000.... You might find one or 2 doing your pace.

8 minutes ago, jsharr said:

get used to it.  Unless you are part of the Kzoo Kool Kidz Klub, you get nothing over a 5, unless he has been day drinking.

I agree totes, 100%. My parodies, which objectively are in the 9.5 to 9.9 range, routinely get the KZOO discount into the 3's. He grades the ladies a full point higher.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

I see Airin has all the fuel she will need for her century.

Image may contain: outdoor

I taped gels to the top tube of my bike for the IM.  I had a peanut butter sandwich coming out of t1.  It tasted like Ohio river water.  Everything I ate or drank for the first 40 miles tasted like Ohio river water.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

40 minutes ago, roadiejorge said:

My back is slowly getting better so I'm eager to get back on the bike. This weekend I'm going to adjust my fit and raise the bars a bit. I may have to...to..to....FLIP THE STEM UP! 

:(:(

I have a pretty aggressive bar to saddle drop.

A buddy of mine gives me free BG fits.  Last year he flipped the stem.  I protested a little but my back is a lot more tolerant of the new position.  He did confiscate my roadie man card though. :(  

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, dennis said:

You roadies are weird. You'll sacrifice comfort to be more aero. You'll be faster, longer, if you are healthy and comfortable. I ride this. Look at the headtube. Inches above the top tube. Comfortable enough for a triple century on gravel. Big tires(40-42). Double wrapped handlebar. 

2012 Casseroll

If only we could make a really comfortable seat.   :(

• Heart 1

23 hours ago, Wilbur said:

A buddy of mine gives me free BG fits.  Last year he flipped the stem.  I protested a little but my back is a lot more tolerant of the new position.  He did confiscate my roadie man card though. :(  

I have no choice if I want to raise the bars because I cut the steerer tube 10 years ago. Flipped stems are ugly but back pain is worse. I'd rather get a bike with a taller head tube and a 6 degree stem, but I'll use what I've got before having the new bike discussion with my wife.

23 hours ago, dennis said:

You roadies are weird. You'll sacrifice comfort to be more aero. You'll be faster, longer, if you are healthy and comfortable. I ride this. Look at the headtube. Inches above the top tube. Comfortable enough for a triple century on gravel. Big tires(40-42). Double wrapped handlebar. 

2012 Casseroll

It depends on the type of riding you do. The aerodynamic factor doesn't matter if speed is irrelevant to the type of riding you do, but if you race or like to ride fast then you want the right tool for the job. I don't see why this should be a point of contention for cyclists. If I want to ride single track I guarantee you I won't be taking my road bike. 

;)

• Heart 1

21 minutes ago, roadiejorge said:

It depends on the type of riding you do. The aerodynamic factor doesn't matter if speed is irrelevant to the type of riding you do, but if you race or like to ride fast then you want the right tool for the job. I don't see why this should be a point of contention for cyclists. If I want to ride single track I guarantee you I won't be taking my road bike. 

;)

Not trying to be contentious, but you say you have back pain. There is a simple solution. I can't imagine purposefully riding in pain just to be more aero. For a short ride, that might work, but over a long distance, I believe you'll be faster if you are not in pain. 

2 minutes ago, dennis said:

Not trying to be contentious, but you say you have back pain. There is a simple solution. I can't imagine purposefully riding in pain just to be more aero. For a short ride, that might work, but over a long distance, I believe you'll be faster if you are not in pain. 

No, I didn't mean you. I was referring to roadies who often criticize other riders who aren't focused on speed and/or racing. I never appreciated the snobbery in this particular type of riding. On group rides there'd always be someone criticizing someone else's fit or bike choice to which I'd always reply: "just ride your bike and keep the tires rubber side down".

• Heart 1