Collard Greens

ChrisL

So I'm in Florida and found this BBQ joint off Rt 4 in Lakeland called Smokin Aces. The bbq was good, very good actually but OMG the collard greens were to die for.  I got hooked on them on my travels throughout the south in the Army and would travel to Memphis often for a previous employer.  We just don't get good collard greens in SoCal.  We really arn't a bbq hot bed either but there is a good local joint nearby.

Anyway I got 3 servings of the greens and had to explain myself to the server.  

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

No not covered in bacon fat but there were little chunks of meat in it.  The flavor was spot on but the greens were cooked perfectly. Soft but not mushy.  That is the big problem with SoCal collard greens, it's a big green mushy mess like it's been boiling for days.

Red Beans & Rice is another southern dish I learned to love as well as corn bread, pulled pork, okra and catfish.  All things I never had until I spent time in the south.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Speaking about the smell of southern cooking, one of the former apartment tenants had a fondness for the food of her youth. When she made chitlins, even the dogs would leave the neighborhood. :lol:

OK so I tried to try them once.  The server was like you sure you want it?  I said yeah, never had it so she said if you don't like it I won't charge you for it.  So she puts the plate down, stands by the table as I put the fork in and it got to within an inch to my mouth when the smell hit me and I dropped the fork.  She took my plate and got me something else.

It smelled like shit, literally and I couldn't do it.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, donkpow said:

My first out of state overnight trip as a teenager took me to Kentucky where I discovered the exquisite pleasure of grits. You could have grits for breakfast and turn right around and have the same grits for lunch. OMG! The genius of it all.

I've tried them many different ways, sweet savory bfast & dinner and am not a grits fan but they were a mess hall staple.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

Greens don't smell if you start them in cold water to which you have added a whole onion, a ham hock, and a garlic clove.  Do not over cook.  Perfection.  Pick the hock and distribute the chunks of meat before serving.

My mother and grandmother were great women.  But they were both notorious for overcooking everything, especially vegetables.  I grew up on mushy peas, limas, spinach, and greens.   

10 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

My mother and grandmother were great women.  But they were both notorious for overcooking everything, especially vegetables.  I grew up on mushy peas, limas, spinach, and greens.   

So did I. Including "creaming" everything and something called "stewed tomatoes".

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, pedalphile said:

An educative thread for me. I understand only 1 of the foods mentioned, mushy peas are great.

They actually are even though the name sounds bad.  I get them with my meal at the Old Toad-- our only truly English pub.