My failure today

Scrapr

tl;dr How Scrapr has an adventure and decides to put his snow tires on

I am in Portland. WoScrapr is in Bend. She has a Dr appointment today in Portland. Oden "The Shedder" Golden Retreiver had a couple teeth out yesterday. Everything good. So we were going to trade. WoScrapr was coming to Portland and stay at MIL. I would go over and sit with The Shedder

Snow coming up in the pass. But...above 4000 feet. Pass height is 4800 feet. But it's a quick up and down. Not much time above 4000 feet. So everything should be OK. 

My Volvo AWD came with "regular" tires. I usually run All Seasons. But since the LTS will not give me much credit on the new tires I order a set of Nokian Hakkapallitas. Really nice snow tires. But...they are really grippy so warm weather really wears them out. I would like to put em on in late November. So i decide to chance the pass today on my regular tires

Now you know the set up ( I feel like UB) 

So I'm lolly gagging waiting for the temp to go up a bit and DOT to start plowing. I get to one of the last towns before nothing for 50 miles. At about 1000 feet and it's snow rain mix. Hmmm, that's interesting. 10 minutes further and it's pretty steady snow and sticking to the road. Guess the forecast was a WAG because this is like 2000 feet. Pass the fish hatchery and it's wet sloppy snow. Pass one guy off chaining up, then another Kia Soul slid off. Shit. This ain't gonna end well. Decide to turn around. Slide a bit on the turn around and I decide I'm right to turn back. This goes against all my instincts as i've turned back only 2 other times in 17 years on this road. I get pointed downhill and uh, ohh. Fith wheel trailer jack knifed blocking the entire road. There is nothing I can do to help as I only had shorts and tee on coming over so I settle in listening to pod casts

After an hour a somebody helps pull the pick up straight. After a little screwing around with OSP , Fish & wildlife and a few citizens we start out one way travel. Did not see one DOT snow plow. Guess they read the forecast too. I get back to PDX  about 3:30 pm. Blow my day...but I'm safe and warm in my bed. So i got that going for me. Going out Friday to get my winter tires on

• Heart 2

7 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Glad you made it home OK.  You know I understand your situation, however I never traveled in shorts and a t.:whistle:

Yeah i need to get my winter on. Snow shovel, chains, (although I never chain) rain gear, hats, extra clothes, gloves, etc. Just too darn early. Top of the pass got 6 inches. And will be clear on Saturday. :angry: I wasn't really believing the forecast when i left Bend

chains reminds me I once sold a extra set in the chain up area for $1.00. I was dechaining and a Mercedes comes up the other way. Says our tires look about the same size can I buy your chains. I say well, no not my "good" chains. But I got this spare set we could not sell at the garage sale. It's marked $1 so I guess that is what it is. He was a hotel exec and afterwards gave me a night in his hotel. I liked enough to start staying there until we bought our house

9 hours ago, Scrapr said:

Yeah i need to get my winter on. Snow shovel, chains, (although I never chain) rain gear, hats, extra clothes, gloves, etc. Just too darn early. Top of the pass got 6 inches. And will be clear on Saturday. :angry: I wasn't really believing the forecast when i left Bend

chains reminds me I once sold a extra set in the chain up area for $1.00. I was dechaining and a Mercedes comes up the other way. Says our tires look about the same size can I buy your chains. I say well, no not my "good" chains. But I got this spare set we could not sell at the garage sale. It's marked $1 so I guess that is what it is. He was a hotel exec and afterwards gave me a night in his hotel. I liked enough to start staying there until we bought our house

You should stash a change of clothes in your car or a snow suit and boots or somesuch.

38 minutes ago, jsharr said:

You should stash a change of clothes in your car or a snow suit and boots or somesuch.

Yeah that is the plan. Although it was near to freezing in Bend when i left itvwas getting into the 50's during the day. I just got side swiped by the forecast for 4000 ft freezing level. 11 inches at the top yesterday. But only 31 degrees. Ohh also the DOT could have plowed a bit better. They usually do a good job but i think they believed the forecast too. Snow to 2000 ft is pretty unusual. Maybe 1 or 2 times a year

11 hours ago, Scrapr said:

tl;dr How Scrapr has an adventure and decides to put his snow tires on

I am in Portland. WoScrapr is in Bend. She has a Dr appointment today in Portland. Oden "The Shedder" Golden Retreiver had a couple teeth out yesterday. Everything good. So we were going to trade. WoScrapr was coming to Portland and stay at MIL. I would go over and sit with The Shedder

Snow coming up in the pass. But...above 4000 feet. Pass height is 4800 feet. But it's a quick up and down. Not much time above 4000 feet. So everything should be OK. 

My Volvo AWD came with "regular" tires. I usually run All Seasons. But since the LTS will not give me much credit on the new tires I order a set of Nokian Hakkapallitas. Really nice snow tires. But...they are really grippy so warm weather really wears them out. I would like to put em on in late November. So i decide to chance the pass today on my regular tires

Now you know the set up ( I feel like UB) 

So I'm lolly gagging waiting for the temp to go up a bit and DOT to start plowing. I get to one of the last towns before nothing for 50 miles. At about 1000 feet and it's snow rain mix. Hmmm, that's interesting. 10 minutes further and it's pretty steady snow and sticking to the road. Guess the forecast was a WAG because this is like 2000 feet. Pass the fish hatchery and it's wet sloppy snow. Pass one guy off chaining up, then another Kia Soul slid off. Shit. This ain't gonna end well. Decide to turn around. Slide a bit on the turn around and I decide I'm right to turn back. This goes against all my instincts as i've turned back only 2 other times in 17 years on this road. I get pointed downhill and uh, ohh. Fith wheel trailer jack knifed blocking the entire road. There is nothing I can do to help as I only had shorts and tee on coming over so I settle in listening to pod casts

After an hour a somebody helps pull the pick up straight. After a little screwing around with OSP , Fish & wildlife and a few citizens we start out one way travel. Did not see one DOT snow plow. Guess they read the forecast too. I get back to PDX  about 3:30 pm. Blow my day...but I'm safe and warm in my bed. So i got that going for me. Going out Friday to get my winter tires on

Damn.  Where was the truck incident?  and you chose to wear shorts, to drive over Willamette Pass?  LMAO!  Dude, that is epic.  

57 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

Yeah that is the plan. Although it was near to freezing in Bend when i left itvwas getting into the 50's during the day. I just got side swiped by the forecast for 4000 ft freezing level. 11 inches at the top yesterday. But only 31 degrees. Ohh also the DOT could have plowed a bit better. They usually do a good job but i think they believed the forecast too. Snow to 2000 ft is pretty unusual. Maybe 1 or 2 times a year

How much was in Oaktown?

6 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Dang.  You mountain people are cray cray.

You bet your ass we are.  

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

DH. I was on santiam pass. So no idea on (r)oakridge. Looks like it's 1200 ft elevation so rain only. You are going to have to get used to the rain. Are you ready for that? 

Oh, I forget about heading your way via McKenzie.  I love that area.

Yeah, the rain has me slightly scared.  I told my husband I need more rain coats, and rain gear. It is always sunny here.  Although, it can get damn cold with that wind off Crater and the Lake.  Brrrr