So what age do you currently think is "old"?

Road Runner

From where I work...active people who do not have dementia issues...seem to do well thru their 70's...It is a crap shoot....but more and more I want to retire before 70....not sure if that is financially possible but hey...what is this thing about money anyway... After 80...more slow down...however there are the occasional 90somethings that surprise the heck out of you...

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, BR46 said:

When I was 20 I thought 50. Now that I'm in my 50s I think 70 is old. 

When I'm 70 I'll say 71

The problem with this strategy is that you eventually realize that what you think is old is of little importance.  When people (even some in their 50's) start treating you nice because they think you are ancient, it's all over but the shouting.   :(

I remember one specific time when, as a teenager in the mid 60's, I was contemplating whether I would live to see the year 2000.  That seemed like a zillion years away at the time.  :)

I also remember thinking that if I did live to see 2000, I would be so old, I would probably be barely conscious of it even happening.   :D

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Well, there are business here that give seniors discounts at 55.  I guess they consider that old.  The Europeans won't let me fly commercially as a Captain after 60 so I guess they consider that old.  They won't let me act as a crew member at all after 65 so they must consider that, dead. 

Outside of aches and pains, everything is working well and I sure as hell don't feel as old as that guy in the mirror.  I start a new job in November and hope to get 10 years in it.  That will make me 68.  Even that doesn't sound old anymore.  Maybe when I don't have the strength to ride a bike or sail a boat, I will consider myself old.  If any coworkers call me old, I just smile and tell them their next 30 will be gone in a flash.  Don't blink. :)  Enjoying the ride right to the end.  Whenever that is. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I remember one specific time when, as a teenager in the mid 60's, I was contemplating whether I would live to see the year 2000.  That seemed like a zillion years away at the time.  :)

I also remember thinking that if I did live to see 2000, I would be so old, I would probably be barely conscious of it even happening.   :D

I had the same thought. I counted everything past 2000 as gravy. :D

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I don't think I'll ever let myself feel old.

This sounds good when you are free from physical problems.  But trust me on this, the effects of aging on how you feel are not optional.

My dentist, who is around eighty, has had exceptional health and still runs his practice and plays golf.  He says, "You are only as old as you feel!"

95% of the population is not blessed with his fortunate circumstances.   

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

This sounds good when you are free from physical problems.  But trust me on this, the effects of aging on how you feel are not optional.  

I agree, aging and the pains that come with it will be a challenge; however, how I process that and how I fell about it will always be an option.

At 71 I know what I've lost in the last 15 years.  FIFA forced my retirement as a referee at 55.  My last company forced my retirement at 66.  Now at 71 I have pains that show up every day depending on what I do.  My vision is still failing and is affecting my ability to drive at night.  I did not enjoy my last night trip to JFK and part of that was all the lights and moving things and what it did to my ability to drive.  I was that old man hunkering in the right lane at under the speed limit till out of New York.  I didn't like that.  I have to turn up the audio to hear it.  I have to make my print about 8 times larger than yours to read it.  I pop and I creak when I start out on a hike or a ride.  When I trip over a cat in the dark I usually grunt in pain as my back stabs me.

Am I done yet......hell no.  I've got a number of good years yet to run

But I know what I've lost.

• Heart 3

5 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

It's a lot more than pain.  

I've suffered with mental pain for most of my life.  I've had my bladder pain for about 15 years.  Seems to be no end in site.  I could easily let it ruin my life, instead I've made adjustments.  I don't do things that don't give me an easy out.  For instance, I won a free flying lesson.  I won't do it.  It's probably only an hour or two, but I can't make it that long.  The pain gets worse the longer I wait, then I start to sweat, then it could get ugly.  Would I like to learn to fly?  Maybe, but I just won't do it.  A century can be hard.  The last one I did I stopped counting after I stopped fof the 20th time.  Very frustrating.

Is any of this debilitating pain?  I guess not.  I hope I can keep the same attitude if life hands me what I think I can't manage.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I've suffered with mental pain for most of my life.  I've had my bladder pain for about 15 years.  Seems to be no end in site.  I could easily let it ruin my life, instead I've made adjustments.  I don't do things that don't give me an easy out.  For instance, I won a free flying lesson.  I won't do it.  It's probably only an hour or two, but I can't make it that long.  The pain gets worse the longer I wait, then I start to sweat, then it could get ugly.  Would I like to learn to fly?  Maybe, but I just won't do it.  A century can be hard.  The last one I did I stopped counting after I stopped fof the 20th time.  Very frustrating.

Is any of this debilitating pain?  I guess not.  I hope I can keep the same attitude if life hands me what I think I can't manage.

I think it is time to consult a bougwhan.  I predict that someday western medicine and eastern mysticism will merge to solve issues like this.  Ommmmm.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

I define my age by my ability to keep going hard. Right now, recovery takes longer and I hurt more.  Apparently, some part of my age is trying to creep in. I fight it off.

All I have is train smart, eat right, sleep and take time off as needed. We will see how it goes.

Ed Zachary!