How big is your house?

Dirtyhip

In the quest to stop working so hard, the way we are trying to get there is to spend less.  One place we saved big was our home being downsized.  

We live in about a 1000 sq ft. home with 2 bedrooms and 2 small baths.  Everything is mostly modest.  (Don't bring up the garage right now, ok)

Lately, we are cutting way back on monthly expenditures.  Like, I didn't get the new SWERKS this Fall.  We are making due with less.  If we cut back on monthly, we can afford to work only part time at a younger age.  

Those hippies are kinda spot on.  Those tiny homes are a way to financial independence. 

I have a 980sq ft condo. We're on the first floor but it's higher than street level and separated from the side walk by a garden area. We have two bedrooms and plenty of windows so there's plenty of natural light; only the living room doesn't get direct light. We're short on storage, but didn't opt for the onsite storage because we decided to better manage our belongings by purging what we don't need. I really like this system because it keeps us from being clutter bugs; the lack of space forces you to be honest about what you want vs what you need. Smaller is always easier to maintain; we tossed around the idea of buying a house but opted for a condo because from a financial perspective, I didn't want to be in a position where housing payments were dependent on a specific salary. We're set up so if our current salary stability is disrupted, we can still maintain the mortgage on lower salaries. 

• Heart 1

Can't remember, but it has three small bedrooms, living room, kitchen-dining room, closet sized computer room, and one bath with an extra toilet in the room with washer and drier. It also has a small attached two car garage with a pantry in the corner. Our out buildings are probably larger than the house.:whistle:

• Heart 1

30 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

1800 sq ft - we bought before the whole area became 3-4000 sq ft McMansions, thank goodness.  It got a little tight when there were fourofus, but it is perfect for two of us plus occasional visits from the daughters.

We can't find tiny homes for sale, these days.  Everything seems huge for our needs.  

1700 sq ft. 1/2 acre lot. We bought 22 years ago when all 3 kids were all at home. It’s too big for us as empty nesters, but none of the places in town we would like to downsize to would save us any money and often would cost more!

Promised my Mom we would be here to help with Dad. After that we are seriously thinking about moving to the Southwest. Buying a house down there with what we could get from this would be about right. 

I moved into a 1300 sq ft 3 bedroom 1 1/2 bath house.  The actual sq footage is more than double that now but much of it is purpose driven.  Finishing the basement effectively doubled the space but some of that is storage and more is where the youngest son and his 2 cats live.  Part of it is my secret lab and womaxx's studio.  We added another 450 sq ft this century by converting the car port into the sun room but that is not usable the entire 12 months of the year.  I guess I'm not sure what a real estate broker would call the size of my house.

• Heart 1

Ohio house - 3,800 sq ft. 4 bed, 3 1/2 baths. 3 car garage attached with unfinished walkout basement on 1/2 acre corner lot. Asking $407,000, will accept $399,000.

Virginia condo - 1,000 sq ft. 1 bed, 1 bath. Wife and son are moving to VA by end of the year. This place is going to seem smaller than it did when I lived alone. Big is overrated. 

• Heart 2

1462 SF 3 & a 2 all one level. We downsized last year from about 2800 SF to our vacation home. Since the vacation home was fully furnished and mostly stocked we had to get rid of a LOT of stuff. We sold a few pieces to the buyer. Sold a few pieces on Next Door. Put some nice Cabs in the garage and filled them. Then  gave a bunch to Knights of Columbus

We upgraded several areas in the new home. Mostly outside so have a bit of indoor/outdoor going on. The kitchen/dining/living room are open concept so lives a bit larger than 3 small areas. One Bedroom is big screen TV room. It has a futon for additional visitors although i don't think we have used it for that.  2nd Bedroom is for visitors and Lil Scrapr when he comes over

We really enjoy the smaller house. Our big house had 62 stairs on a variety of levels and areas. So liking the one level. And we are banking the previous house payment. WoScrapr misses the closeness of friends nearby though

Too big. Trying to move to a smaller house with a big barn. 4bedrooms three and a half baths, 3 car oversized garage with. 20 by 40 storage barn.  Living room we use on Christmas Eve and a dining room we use on New Year's Day.   We have way too much stuff.   12 course walkout basement that also has stairs to garage. Mostly use basement for storing crap, grooming dogs, and bicycle repair. Kitchen and dog room that we basically live in. 

• Heart 1

1500 square foot 3 bedeoom 2.5 bath with attached garage townhouse.  It was a little cramped when the kids were younger and we thought about upgrading but didnt want to leave the community for more affordable housing. It works for us now as my daughter is mostky moved out now.  

We may leave the area at some point and downsize.  We bought 20 years ago, never leveraged equity and the housing market boomed so really our property is our retirement.  Our mortgage is less than rent...

Ohio house - 3,800 sq ft. 4 bed, 3 1/2 baths. 3 car garage attached with unfinished walkout basement on 1/2 acre corner lot. Asking $407,000, will accept $399,000.

Virginia condo - 1,000 sq ft. 1 bed, 1 bath. Wife and son are moving to VA by end of the year. This place is going to seem smaller than it did when I lived alone. Big is overrated. 

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

1500 square foot 3 bedeoom 2.5 bath with attached garage townhouse.  It was a little cramped when the kids were younger and we thought about upgrading but didnt want to leave the community for more affordable housing. It works for us now as my daughter is mostky moved out now.  

We may leave the area at some point and downsize.  We bought 20 years ago, never leveraged equity and the housing market boomed so really our property is our retirement.  Our mortgage is less than rent...

Homes are still lower priced up here but barely.  Oregon ranks toward the bottom for retirement people.  CA, DC and HI being front runners for expensive retirement costs.  Idaho is supposed to be great for making retirement money stretch.  It's pretty there too.  Low population.  

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I bet this is a nice size.  I think we are headed to the 900-1000 sq ft range with storage in a large garage. 

It's just right for the 2 of us. Wo46 would like to be able to park a car in the garage but that would mean that I would have to get rid of a few motorcycles.

like that's going to happen ;)

• Heart 3

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

2,000 square feet, two bath, 24 X 32 unattached garage/shop. I feel it's just the right size for two people, my wife wants to move.

Gosh everyone lives big here.  770 sq. ft. condo with 100 sq. ft. balconies. 1 bedroom. Here and same for Vancouver.  I've lived in this amount of space lst for myself....and later with my partner for past 25+ years.  Even in Toronto when I lived there I had a 770 sq. ft. condo before selling and relocating to Vancouver.

Meets our needs.  For sure, it's better to be all on 1 level..as time moves on.

6 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Gosh everyone lives big here.  770 sq. ft. condo with 100 sq. ft. balconies. 1 bedroom. Here and same for Vancouver.  I've lived in this amount of space lst for myself....and later with my partner for past 25+ years.  Even in Toronto when I lived there I had a 770 sq. ft. condo before selling and relocating to Vancouver.

Meets our needs.  For sure, it's better to be all on 1 level..as time moves on.  I rent my underground parking stall. In Vancouver, there isn't one. Not a big deal ...10 min. walk in either direction for 2 LRT stations.  2 bikeshare stations within 5 min. walk in either direction.  10 min. walk to café, grocery stores, etc.