How big is your house?

Dirtyhip

53 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Anything can sound nice if said the right way.  My house was built in '48 as a weekend getaway by a guy with money who probably enjoyed trout fishing.  Lots of interesting features.

So, 3000 sort of sq/ft, half below the water line.  Located on a flood plain. Fish in basement? :)  

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

So, 3000 sort of sq/ft, half below the water line.  Located on a flood plain. Fish in basement? :)  

My first house I bought for $9,500, it had a spring in the basement. There was a hole in the concrete floor about four feet in diameter with a sump pump in it pumping the water out to the pond in the back. There was even a crayfish living in that spring, my youngest son was scared to death of the crayfish. He thought it was going to come up two flights of stairs and get him while he was sleeping.

• Heart 1

1600 sq. ft., 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths, full basement, partially finished, with 2 car attached garage, and 30 X 30 finished garage in back, w/10' ceilings, and heat, on 1.5 acres. Bought it two years ago today. It's just outside a northwestern detroit suburb, so it's kind of country. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the dirt road, but we love the house.

11 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

So clearly no one is scaling down size of home.. as you approach the 5th, 6th, etc. decade?  Didn't realize myself and partner were such outliers.

Ours is already relatively small and on one level with no basement and no stairs.  See no need to scale down from the one where we currently live.

3 minutes ago, dennis said:

My place is 450 sq ft.  I was able to fit most of my belongings in a Honda Civic when I moved. 

I was going to point out that not everyone has a huge house.  She clearly missed your post.

Do have some challenges in that size of a place.  Do you keep your bike/bikes in the house?

It works well for me. I have 4 bikes. All parked at the foot of my bed. All of my gear fits in the closets or under the bed. It would help if I were better organised. I have more space here than I need. Empty cupboards, closets are only partially full. The place seems luxurious. I have a microwave, my first ever. A dishwasher that I've never used, maybe someday. I can walk to work and the grocery store. I think I've driven my car about 2000 miles in 2017. No garage, so my living room is where I set up my bike stand and do repairs. It's all good.

• Heart 1

I sold my bigger mini-Cape Cod after I paid-off the mortgage and retired and bought out my two siblings share of the smaller mini-Cape Cod on a 60' x 100' plot on which we grew up and jointly inherited from our late parents.

It's 30'x30' and has a cement floor/cinderblock walls full basement and full 2nd floor. The basement is basically a tool/laundry/storage area. The rest is one bathroom, no dining room but a large kitchen, a living room half-occupied by my baby-grand piano, a TV room, and 3 bedrooms.  I have an 8'x10' enclosed porch on the back and a 8'x12' open, roofed porch on the front.

One next-door neighbor in the same-style house took down the non-supporting wall between what correspond to my TV and living rooms to make a larger party room.  I'm considering the same but since it would mean moving the stairs going up to the 2nd floor and those underneath it going to the basement, I'll probably not do get around to it.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, dennis said:

It works well for me. I have 4 bikes. All parked at the foot of my bed. All of my gear fits in the closets or under the bed. It would help if I were better organised. I have more space here than I need. Empty cupboards, closets are only partially full. The place seems luxurious. I have a microwave, my first ever. A dishwasher that I've never used, maybe someday. I can walk to work and the grocery store. I think I've driven my car about 2000 miles in 2017. No garage, so my living room is where I set up my bike stand and do repairs. It's all good.

I have a microwave which broke 1 yr. ago. I haven't gotten around to replacing it 'cause I normally don't need a microwave for the way how I deal with leftovers.  We use dishwasher, plus washer/dryer in our condo. As I've said before, we haven't had a car for past 25 yrs. when living in Canada's biggest 3 cities. We rent a car for 2-3 days annually.  We have used taxis about 4-5 times annually. Rest is transit.

Living in 450+ sq. ft. would be challenge even just for myself. So good for you.  I like a bedroom with a door. I'm not into multipurpose furniture..ie. sofa into bed or Murphy bed which means being super-neat which is tougher on me (vs. him).

Home even has a gas powered fireplace....which I keep on forgetting to use in winter. I actually have 2 balconies.  

11 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

Well I'm not quite halfway through my third decade so as of now large is good.

Enjoy it!  I started off with 770 sq. ft. in my early 30's and haven't changed on this approx. size even though I've lived in 3 different cities.  I'm not really into shovelling walks, cutting lawn, etc.  He did have a house (and farm out of town) prior to his divorce before I met him. 

I was dealing with my clothing a few wks. ago and realized again I had accumulated way more than I realized.  So am slowly working through them. Good thing cycling jerseys are so durable..last me actually over a decade.

8 hours ago, shootingstar said:

So clearly no one is scaling down size of home.. as you approach the 5th, 6th, etc. decade?  Didn't realize myself and partner were such outliers.

In my 30's, I was just into the civilian workplace, had a young family, flying full time, owned two pubs, operating a construction company full time and owned a 6000 sq ft home in a pretty prestigious neighbourhood in Vancouver.  I had a boat I had no time to sail, a cottage I had no time to spend relaxing at and a family I had very little time to spend with.  

Then a medical scare and a lot of introspect.  

Now, I have one 2800 sq ft house I can't wait to get out of but still have a daughter at home,  still have the cottage, no boat, two jobs (3 until I resign today) and a little more time.

In the next two years, my goal is to be down to about 1500 sq ft in home size, sell the cottage, buy a sailboat for winter living and one flying job.  I might keep the cottage though.  Some things are difficult to give up. :) 

14 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

In my 30's, I was just into the civilian workplace, had a young family, flying full time, owned two pubs, operating a construction company full time and owned a 6000 sq ft home in a pretty prestigious neighbourhood in Vancouver.  I had a boat I had no time to sail, a cottage I had no time to spend relaxing at and a family I had very little time to spend with.  

Then a medical scare and a lot of introspect.  

Now, I have one 2800 sq ft house I can't wait to get out of but still have a daughter at home,  still have the cottage, no boat, two jobs (3 until I resign today) and a little more time.

In the next two years, my goal is to be down to about 1500 sq ft in home size, sell the cottage, buy a sailboat for winter living and one flying job.  I might keep the cottage though.  Some things are difficult to give up. :) 

You'll get there, Wilbur.  As long as your children make good use of cottage when you're not around all the time or maybe they can arrange AirBnB and vet people.  I know someone who is selling home in Calgary...retiring in 4 months and set to  move to PEI after buying home for $150,000.  He has siblings there also and is originally from there.

1632 sqft ranch.  3 bedrooms and 2 full baths upstairs.  Full finished basement which effectively doubles that 1632 sq ft.  We use the basement for entertaining and for a workout area.  Kids also go down there a lot to watch TV and get away from the nagging adults.  I have an attached 2 car garage.  The basement is a walkout.  I also have a toilet, sink and shower down there.  Is that a 3/4 bathroom?  It sits on an acre lot.  It's 2 miles from the kid's school.  Perfect house for us right now.  

• Awesome 1

10 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Ours is already relatively small and on one level with no basement and no stairs.  See no need to scale down from the one where we currently live.

Same here. About 1300 sq ft single story. Works for us.

It seems the important thing is finding what works for you. Kids, toys, etc and you need more space. Some of these places sound pretty amazing to me. A trout stream in your backyard, damn. Small works for me, but I wouldn't suggest everyone do it. I sold most of my belongings the last time I moved. I kept the things that were the most important to me. My bikes and gear. I lost most of my books, CDs, and DVDs. I don't have TV service(cable, netflix, or hulu). If I want to watch something I check out the DVD from the library. I'm not anti-tv, I just don't need the temptation to flip channels. 

My place is super convenient. I'm one block from the bike path and access to the mt bike trails. There are mountains one block away. I can walk or ride my bike to work and grocery store. The post office is one block away. I'm surrounded by mountains. Wildlife is everywhere. Moose, elk, bears, bighorn sheep, and mt lions. What's not to love.

• Heart 2