so, I'm contemplating running for POTBC

bikeman564™

president of the bike club :blink: There are some peeps that think I can do it and would like me to do it. But I'm thinking more like :frantics:  I've been w/ the club for decades, and have been very active in it w/in the last few years w/ rides and such. Just not sure if I'm leadership material :scratchhead:. bike club chick says I'd be good, and it would be good for the club. I discussed it w/ our current VP Friday night over a couple beers, and he'd nominate me should I choose to go for it.

I'm sure you're capable of whatever tasks are required, but make sure you have an understanding of how much time it will take and if you're getting a bunch of administrative tasks that will annoy you.  But if you have the time and inclination, it's always nice to support a cause or organization you enjoy.

• Heart 3

27 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I'm sure you're capable of whatever tasks are required, but make sure you have an understanding of how much time it will take and if you're getting a bunch of administrative tasks that will annoy you.  But if you have the time and inclination, it's always nice to support a cause or organization you enjoy.

I agree and factor in your tolerance of petty disagreements within the club. I know my own tolerance is low, so I avoid certain positions, often opting to be a worker in other areas. A big challenge is knowing how the club might change with time. Best of luck with your decision.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

Remember - no good deed goes unpunished.

I honestly feel sorry for the president of my bike club. He's doing a pretty good job in a totally thankless position. As long as you are cool with the "no good deed goes unpunished", you'll be fine.

Just remember - COMMUNICATION is key. 

Tom

3 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I already voted for you, what do I get in return?

Oh, on lasts night C ride, there was some guy riding all over the place, very unsafe, I demand you make him stop coming!

I'd like to join the A ride this weekend, but I can only go 15mph, please have someone ride with me.

Last week the B ride went through a rather unsavory neighborhood.  Please plan better routes next time, or I'm not coming and I'll tell everyone else not to come too.  I got a flat on that ride, how do I get reimbursed for me tube and CO2 cartridge?

Our new kit is hideous, please create a new one.

Very good, SW.  You are smarter than you look.  :)

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

What perks come with the job?

2 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

:scratchhead: none :(

"What jerks come with the job?"  May be the more appropriate question...

If you can look past that sort of stuff, and keep focused on the good that you do then the result will be worth the investment of your time.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

You have been a member of you r club for years you said.  You have reaped the benefits of others work.  It is your turn to take a pull at the head of the peloton.

True. The current president and vp made a huge impact on the club's current status.The demographic w/in the last year has changed dramatically w/ more people in their 30s and 40s along w/ some pretty fast paced club rides. Although we have rides for all levels. There's nothing I'd like to change at this point, but just continue w/ the club's success.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Kirby said:

Thanks. I have free time so that should not be an issue. All I do is work, drink beer, and bike :) 

• Heart 1

38 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I already voted for you, what do I get in return?

Oh, on lasts night C ride, there was some guy riding all over the place, very unsafe, I demand you make him stop coming!

I'd like to join the A ride this weekend, but I can only go 15mph, please have someone ride with me.

Last week the B ride went through a rather unsavory neighborhood.  Please plan better routes next time, or I'm not coming and I'll tell everyone else not to come too.  I got a flat on that ride, how do I get reimbursed for me tube and CO2 cartridge?

Our new kit is hideous, please create a new one.

120723WorkStairwellSuggestionBox.jpg

• Heart 4

11 minutes ago, Airehead said:

would it make more sense for the current vp to step up and you take his position?

Ideally I'd like to take VP then move up, but the president and vp are stepping down because things are too busy in their personal lives, job, kids etc.  I'm leaning on taking the position. Why start in the mail room when I can go right to the top :D

53 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

"What jerks come with the job?"  May be the more appropriate question...

If you can look past that sort of stuff, and keep focused on the good that you do then the result will be worth the investment of your time.

This too.  In volunteer positions, people have equally high expectations of a paid position.  I did a lot of volunteer work that led to a political position.  It was hell and took the enjoyment out of the groups I was in.  Don’t let that happen. :)

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

This too.  In volunteer positions, people have equally high expectations of a paid position.  I did a lot of volunteer work that led to a political position.  It was hell and took the enjoyment out of the groups I was in.  Don’t let that happen. :)

I agree. It's all fun until it becomes work...just like real work ;)

Be very clear on your value add. If you want to keep the same programs to attract riders ask them specifically what they did to make that happen. Then write the 3 or 4 things down on a white board and put at the head of every meeting. Use that to direct the club.

Also you are going to have to recruit a VP. In volunteer positions you have to recruit your own replacements. If you try to do everything yourself you don't give others a chance to volunteer for the small things. So they become disconnected other than going on rides. Which means you are stuck. May be why the Pres & VP are quitting

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

There's a parody in this post somewhere.  I just haven't worked in out.  Where is @parodybot when you need him?  Hey, @jsharr can you plug the little fellow back in so he can have some input here?

As soon as he is done mowing the yard, I can convert him back to a parodybot, sure.

39 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

Be very clear on your value add. If you want to keep the same programs to attract riders ask them specifically what they did to make that happen. Then write the 3 or 4 things down on a white board and put at the head of every meeting. Use that to direct the club.

Also you are going to have to recruit a VP. In volunteer positions you have to recruit your own replacements. If you try to do everything yourself you don't give others a chance to volunteer for the small things. So they become disconnected other than going on rides. Which means you are stuck. May be why the Pres & VP are quitting

The VP is an elected position, so I have no involvement in that selection (we have 5 elected positions). We have other non-elected positions for other things and members are encouraged to take part. Again, current pres and vp are stepping down for personal reasons, not for situations in the club. I know this for fact and know them both very well.

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

There's a parody in this post somewhere.  I just haven't worked in out.  Where is @parodybot when you need him?  Hey, @jsharr can you plug the little fellow back in so he can have some input here?

Wait...whut? Kzoo can create parodies AND rate them? 

Isn't there some separations of powers here? Perhaps @parodybot could do the rating. I am sensing a big dose of collusion and self dealing here  :angry:

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

The VP is an elected position, so I have no involvement in that selection

The hell you say!

If you're going to be the President, then you've got the authority to start stuffing the ballot boxes, rigging the elections, and mismanaging club funds to buy votes for the people you want to get elected!

Just make sure you give the appearance of having no involvement in those elections, and you'll be just fine.  :nodhead:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1