Is it possible to make coffee too strong?

jsharr

8 minutes ago, jsharr said:

The pot I made at the office this AM is making my tongue tingle a bit.

discus your reaction to jsharr's tingling tongue.

Don't be such a wimp

• Heart 2

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Navy coffee rules.

Don't clean the pot, it changes the flavor.

If the spoon stand up by itself, it's ready.

Did I mention don't clean the pot.

don't clean the pot? All that old junk makes the coffee bitter.  

This is why baristas clean their expresso parts.

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

don't clean the pot? All that old junk makes the coffee bitter.  

This is why baristas clean their expresso parts.

I used to have a Navy Master Chief work for me and I loved to pay him a visit just for the coffee and conversation.  He didn't clean the pot but the coffee maker was spotless.  A pinch of salt and some other Navy magic and his was the best coffee evah!

• Heart 1

My grandfather used to make what he called "Cowboy Coffee." You throw a couple of hands full of grounds in the pot, set it on the fire, and boil the crap out of it. When you think it's ready, open the top and throw a horse shoe in. If the shoe sinks, it's not done yet... :huh:

• Heart 4
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, UglyBob said:

My grandfather used to make what he called "Cowboy Coffee." You throw a couple of hands full of grounds in the pot, set it on the fire, and boil the crap out of it. When you think it's ready, open the top and throw a horse shoe in. If the shoe sinks, it's not done yet... :huh:

My dad used to drink "Coffee Tubruk" which was basically boiling water poured over coffee grounds.  You put the grounds in a cup, pour boiling water, let the grounds settle and drink.  Too gnarly for me.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My dad used to drink "Coffee Tubruk" which was basically boiling water poured over coffee grounds.  You put the grounds in a cup, pour boiling water, let the grounds settle and drink.  Too gnarly for me.

I just had some in Israel.  The hotel has it in room.  

9 hours ago, UglyBob said:

Did it have beans in it?

16 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Did it have beans in it?

Coffee beans...

Actually, I saw him add mesquite beans to it once when we were camping. He was short on coffee and used them to stretch it. Said it added flavor and sweetness. I took his word for it, as I don't drink coffee and wouldn't have touched that stuff anyway..

2 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

Coffee beans...

Actually, I saw him add mesquite beans to it once when we were camping. He was short on coffee and used them to stretch it. Said it added flavor and sweetness. I took his word for it, as I don't drink coffee and wouldn't have touched that stuff anyway..

Try stretching the coffee with peyote buttons.  It will stretch in ways you never thought possible.

My wife brought some Chicory coffee back from a business trip to New Orleans, like it was "special".  The only reason it exists is because they needed more coffee for the troops, so stateside coffee got stretched with chicory.  It tastes like - yeah, coffee with chicory in it.  So now it's a thing.

Currently waiting for the grinder is a Scottish Coffee that was aged in Whisky barrels, And a natural roasted Costa Rican, that gets roasted with a bit of the cherry mucilage still on the beans.