Have you become kinder and gentler with age?

Road Runner

42 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I have.  I used to relish squashing a bug or killing a fly.  Nothing was more fun than killing a spider.  

But nowadays, I go out of my way to avoid harming these same defenseless creatures.  Do you think this an age thing or a reflection of societal change?  

Maybe a little societal change, sure.  Also the mellowing that comes with living a goodly while makes you appreciate the bs that all the little spiders go through just to get a meal.

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I have.  I used to relish squashing a bug or killing a fly.  Nothing was more fun than killing a spider.  

But nowadays, I go out of my way to avoid harming these same defenseless creatures.  Do you think this an age thing or a reflection of societal change?  

I draw the non-killing line at ticks, fireants, roaches, mosquitoes, and gnats. I added gnats simply because I kill dozens on a Fall ride, and I don't want that weighing too hard on my conscience. I just tell myself they deserved it! 

But why anyone would kill a spider on purpose is beyond my comprehension.

Tom

• Heart 1

My Mom always taught us to take spiders outside (she loved Charlotte's Web).  I think I've probably gotten grouchier in some ways and more easy going in others.  There were things I used to worry about that I now realize don't really matter, and I'm not going to get worked up over them.  However, I'm probably also more set in my ways than I used to be.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

I always cared for animals. I had quite a few pets and I've had representatives from just about every group that you can keep as pets. Insects are the only ones I had not interest in as pets. I still have aquariums which started after my daughter wanted a fish. 

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

I still kill mosquitoes when they are in the process of drawing my blood.  Nasty little devils.  :angry: 

Yeah, moochers get treated they would as if they were feeding off of anything else with the ability to swat away.

With family and friends I do try to be gentle and kind;  rarely utter a sharp word, interact on the basis that the person has the best intentions at heart.

All others from the start get the same respect and courtesy from me that I would wish to receive from them.

After that, they get the respect, kindness, and gentleness that they have earned by their behavior.

• Awesome 1

Yes, and no.  Bugs and such outside I leave alone, and I hate to have to terminate them in the house.  However, I have become much, much less tolerant of the higher life forms, like humans.  I used to be pretty laid back, but now-a-days I have a really hard time keeping my temper in check. 

Recent example:  Just the other day we were outside watching a college football game.  Kids were playing in the yard.  #2 son asked grandson to run upstairs and get the TV remote.  Grandson looked at him and said "Awww but I'm playing" and started kicking at the grass with a pouty face and mumbled something else under his breath.  When #2 son asked him again and got the same response I blurted out in my redneck Grampa voice "Get your ass upstairs and get the remote for your Daddy! Now!"  At which point it was like he was shot out of a cannon and #2 son gave me that "I remember those days" look but said nothing.  :whistle:

• Heart 3

26 minutes ago, tybeegb said:

n #2 son asked him again and got the same response I blurted out in my redneck Grampa voice "Get your ass upstairs and get the remote for your Daddy! Now!"  At which point it was like he was shot out of a cannon and #2 son gave me that "I remember those days" look but said nothing.  :whistle:

Lol, love the redneck gramma voice.

I have always been pretty gentle - however, lately I feel like I generally have less patience, and I more quickly transition from frustration to anger.

If I see a spider in the house I just leave him alone.  If the others see him, leaving him alone is generally not acceptable so I get them outside.

Not centipedes though..... they go squish.  Sorry.

I am trying not to get upset by people who tell me, "Get off the road!" I practice by anticipating that someone will say it an I don't react. Someone honked a horn at me the other day and I didn't even bother to look at them right away, let alone wave them to the side of the road for a knock down. I am Mister Mellow on a bike, I hope you know.

• Heart 1

Just now, Road Runner said:

People must be really nice where you live.  Around here, all I ever hear is "Get off the fucking road!"    :(

They are. One day I was riding along and a couple of guys pass me on a four lane. One hollers, "Get off the road!" They drive on down the road. I catch them at the light and pass them. At which point I hollered, "Get off the road!". The guy leans out the passenger window, gives me a big grin, and lets out a big laugh.

Still0828_00000_1504221538559_10556093_v

• Heart 2

• 2 months later...
On 2017-10-16 at 12:49 PM, Road Runner said:

Senility

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Only forgiving to folks who try hard to adjust, learn in their own way. 

Others who aren't trying to learn or understand others, just tend to call them out or walk away. Takes too much energy.

I probably have become more set in my ways than I realize: I expect the world to be fairer, kinder.  Yea, utopia still on my mind.

I think it is timely to ask this question and I've reached an age where reviewing ones own nature seems to be natural given what's ahead. I find the best way to understand and express my feelings is by writing poetry.

I am kinder now.

I am kinder now

much kinder than I used to be

when I was young

and had no thought of an ending

or that life could be

other than this...

the now.

I see the birds at winter-time

and wonder how with fragile bone and feather

they last out the hard-bitten days

and hate those who would hunt the Hare