I Think Their Calculations Are Wrong

Razors Edge

...since my spider-sense tells me that there is no way a vegetarian diet is most expensive in California (Hawaii makes sense). If I know one thing about California, it is that the veggies and fruits are cheap and plentiful! Heck, they can be free if you are willing to park on the side of a road, jump a fence or ditch, and pick your own!

WhyIsCASoHigh.jpg.4eef55f91c3354109f84a6ec363d9cbc.jpg

Tom

Oakland doesnt fit the profile but the other cities are pretty spendy and they probably have a higher % of fancy markets with higher prices.  You are correct tho that we pay less on average than most places.  Pretty soon I'll be eating my favorite mandarins off a neighbors tree.  The tree is large and hangs over his fence and there will be over a 100 easy for the taking. I make sure I pass his house every evening while walking the dog...

There are still a few strawberry fields but most of the produce fields and orange groves in my neck of the woods have been developed.

2 hours ago, dennis said:

Groceries are not taxed in CA.

That's a fair point.

I would imagine, though, a grocer would have to mark up his prices enough to cover the taxes on all the other parts of his business that are not tax exempt - rent/real estate, utilities, transportation, store equipment, advertising, and the like.

2 hours ago, donkpow said:

San Francisco, Fremont, Oakland, and San Jose are all the same place.

I think someone them walnuts pachinged off your noggin! Oakland is the shit hole of the bay area.  I was up there a couple of months ago and I was seriously concerned for my safety.  And I've done a fair amount of work in Compton, North Long Beach, Lynwood,.South Central and many other fine neighborhoods in LA...

I don't know what data they pulled to get that list but it is telling all the cities are in NorCal which has a higher cost of living than much of SoCal.