My boss didn’t let me quit.. :(

Wilbur

You needed to drop the hammer. 

Wilbur: "I've really enjoyed working here, but it's time to move on. I wanted to let you know I'm quitting as of today. Let me know what the next steps are in the process. It's been a pleasure."

Wilbur's Boss: "Please hold off on making a final decision; maybe you need to sleep on it."

Wilbur: "No, that's ok. I've given this some serious thought already. I mean I planned an interview elsewhere, went on several interviews, and am happy with my new employer. Will you provide a box for my belongings, or do I bring my own? Oh, and hopefully I won't have security standing over my shoulder; that's really not cool. Let me know when I need to meet with HR."

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

He asked me to delay a final decision until tomorrow.

Let's assume that he did so because he wants to present you with employment terms that would make it attractive for you to stay.

In which case, one might ask "If I were worth these more attractive terms, why did not the Boss offer them to me before now?"

And the Corollary:

"If the Boss didn't provide the compensation he thought I was worth before, what is the likelihood his new offer would be the best he could put together?"

• Heart 2

Just now, Airehead said:

That is pretty major.   Was it pay that made you unhappy or other things.?  Now to keep reading the thread. 

Pay and benefits were huge issues.  This addresses pay only, still no benefits.  As a contract employee, there is no paid vacation.  The new guy is salaried employee so benefits, 4 weeks vacation are included.

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Pay and benefits were huge issues.  This addresses pay only, still no benefits.  As a contract employee, there is no paid vacation.  The new guy is salaried employee so benefits, 4 weeks vacation are included.

The new guy that works for your current airplane owner??  He better make a much lower hourly than you do. This would be a strong reason to leave if you ask me. Is he a pilot?

21 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Oh. So your new offer is salaried even if you don't fly with paid vacation. Hmm, that sounds better.  What is the downside of the new job, there must be some. We know it isn't the beautiful aircraft. 

Actually, that is the downside. :)  It’s a lot smaller, slower and lower performance.  

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Actually, that is the downside. :)  It’s a lot smaller, slower and lower performance.  

You pilots are alike. It is different sure but it is a lovely plane. When the lease is up on it convince them to get something bigger. 

• Heart 1