what would you pay

Parr8hed

For a Cx bike?  Frame is a Cannondale carbon Super X.  It has mechanical disc brakes.  105 shifters and derailleurs.  Size 48 cm.  It has been used approx 3 times.  Looks brand new.  I don't know what wheelset is on it.  Knowing her, it is nice.  G's coach won the bike in a race and built it up, but never rode it.  Asking price is 1,000$.  

If you dig around the interwebs, you might be able to find a new one with 105 for under $2000, used and rode hard for half that. I'd say it's a good deal, but see if you can talk her down because she likes the kid and knows he'll outgrow it in one season.

2 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

If you dig around the interwebs, you might be able to find a new one with 105 for under $2000, used and rode hard for half that. I'd say it's a good deal, but see if you can talk her down because she likes the kid and knows he'll outgrow it in one season.

I don't know that he will outgrow this one THAT fast.  Might have it for 2 seasons.  And I get the feeling that this IS the good deal price.  

11 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

For a Cx bike?  Frame is a Cannondale carbon Super X.  It has mechanical disc brakes.  105 shifters and derailleurs.  Size 48 cm.  It has been used approx 3 times.  Looks brand new.  I don't know what wheelset is on it.  Knowing her, it is nice.  G's coach won the bike in a race and built it up, but never rode it.  Asking price is 1,000$.  

I gotta go with "internet scam".  In the US, we write costs with the dollar sign at the front. Ex: $1,000 - absolutely NOT 1,000$.

Tom

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

So you are gonna fall for an internet scam even after being warned? Trust me, you will have no ownership of anything at the end of this one!

Tom

I am a very trusting person.  That Ethiopian prince said I was very nice.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

It sounds like the bike is a good deal as long as you realize he will outgrow it. I hesitate to spend much on something that will quickly be outgrown. I bought my granddaughter a Trek mountain bike knowing she had three younger siblings (now she has five) to pass it down to.

That is the optimal process! Kudos.

Tom

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

It sounds like the bike is a good deal as long as you realize he will outgrow it. I hesitate to spend much on something that will quickly be outgrown. I bought my granddaughter a Trek mountain bike knowing she had three younger siblings (now she has five) to pass it down to.

Of course I realize he will outgrow it!  Do you realize how many bikes I have ALREADY bought for these 2 rugrats?:P

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

That site is full of artificially low prices.

Retail items do not hold value. 

I can sell my Fuse pro right now, and get all of my money out of it.  Basically got to ride it for free, for a year.  if you keep them longer, the value plummets.  I have learned that the higher end bikes are tougher to unload.  I thought about selling Brutus, but I love that bike too much.  The only thing they changed was the boost to the frame.  Personally, I will never run that wide for most of our riding.  I see no reason to change right now.  I might get stuck with this bike for along while.  Things are changing in my life.

I think a grand is "about right" but knowing the wheels would help me some.  If you trust the seller and know that it is pretty much a new bike that would ease my nerves some.  If it was thrashed like my crosser and I said it was hardly used  (it still looks really good) I'd be wary.

The good thing about youth sports is you build a network.  In a couple of years you can probably sell it for $500 to a buddy for his kid and you get 2 years of use for $500.  I've done it with gloves as my kid was primarily an infielder but moved to the outfield in HS.  He had 2, 11.25" gloves, one was new he didn't need and to a lesser extent bats and other equipment.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I think a grand is "about right" but knowing the wheels would help me some.  If you trust the seller and know that it is pretty much a new bike that would ease my nerves some.  If it was thrashed like my crosser and I said it was hardly used  (it still looks really good) I'd be wary.

The good thing about youth sports is you build a network.  In a couple of years you can probably sell it for $500 to a buddy for his kid and you get 2 years of use for $500.  I've done it with gloves as my kid was primarily an infielder but moved to the outfield in HS.  He had 2, 11.25" gloves, one was new he didn't need and to a lesser extent bats and other equipment.

and with warranty, you lose the protections with a used bike. 

Like, if I crack my Stumpy, I can get a crash replacement through specialized. That is a great deal.  Warranty doesn't apply for used bikes.

8 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

and with warranty, you lose the protections with a used bike. 

Like, if I crack my Stumpy, I can get a crash replacement through specialized. That is a great deal.  Warranty doesn't apply for used bikes.

Unless he knows the original owner and they're willing to head to an LBS to do the "claim" the damage rigmarole.

Tom

3 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

48 cm is way too small for you, Parrot.  HAHA

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

P8, can't you dig up a lung, or heart, or liver to trade for it instead of paying an arm and a leg in cash?

;)

Unfortunately he's no longer in that business. All he has access to now is a bunch of dried up kidneys.

• Heart 1

On 10/17/2017 at 7:56 PM, petitepedal said:

:desk: I will give you $300 for it...if the G-man doesn't beat the crap out of it in the next 2 years...Oh what color is it?

I can guarantee that G man will beat the crap out of it for the next two year.  I certainly HOPE he does.  That's what it's for. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:02 PM, Parr8hed said:

I don't know that he will outgrow this one THAT fast.  Might have it for 2 seasons.  And I get the feeling that this IS the good deal price.  

Then I don't get you: you think it's a good deal already and don't want to talk her down, what are you axing us?

2 hours ago, pedalphile said:

Then I don't get you: you think it's a good deal already and don't want to talk her down, what are you axing us?

I am not going to try to talk her down at all because of our relationship.  I didn't necessarily know if it was a great price or not.  I think that SHE thought it was already a great price for me.  I think she gets the feeling that she is doing us a solid favor with this price.

35 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

How much has G-Man earned so far toward the purchase...I saw you putting him up for slave labor on FB :D

None yet.  Been in school and/or riding.  We are camping this weekend.  Maybe I will take a leaf blower and send him around to people's campsites to blow leaves away for 10 bucks a time.

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

I am not going to try to talk her down at all because of our relationship.  I didn't necessarily know if it was a great price or not.  I think that SHE thought it was already a great price for me.  I think she gets the feeling that she is doing us a solid favor with this price.

Makes sense. FWIW it does sound like it is a good deal IMO.

53 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

None yet.  Been in school and/or riding.  We are camping this weekend.  Maybe I will take a leaf blower and send him around to people's campsites to blow leaves away for 10 bucks a time.

Maybe take a rake and leave the noise pollution in the 'burbs?

Or, bring the leaf blower and have people pay him $10 a pop to turn it off???

Tom

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1