So how many roadies have switched?

Wilbur

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Sweet! I won't call you out on not owning your own set of calipers for your home workshop because you are stepping up and taking care of this research (unlike Lazy Don).

Tom

Why buy your own when you can steal them from the shop?

Okay, look. Manufacturers don't just stamp their tires with some arbitrary number. There is a procedure to determine the "width" of a tire in order to comply with the ISO standard. This is not to say that your 'measured width' won't be different from wheel to wheel. On a given rim, a tire designated as 23-622 will be narrower than a 25-622 tire when mounted, inflated, and measured.

child-with-tongue-out1.jpg

Just now, donkpow said:

Okay, look. Manufacturers don't just stamp their tires with some arbitrary number. There is a procedure to determine the "width" of a tire in order to comply with the ISO standard. This is not to say that your 'measured width' won't be different from wheel to wheel. On a given rim, a tire designated as 23-622 will be narrower than a 25-622 tire when mounted, inflated, and measured.

child-with-tongue-out1.jpg

So cute. Show me your study. Anything? Any ideas where you come up with that nonsense?

While I agree that Contis 23s will be narrower than their 25s which are narrower than their 28s, I don't agree that their 25 will be narrower than other brands 26s nor wider than other brands 24s.  HUZZAH.

Tom

Just now, Razors Edge said:

So cute. Show me your study. Anything? Any ideas where you come up with that nonsense?

While I agree that Contis 23s will be narrower than their 25s which are narrower than their 28s, I don't agree that their 25 will be narrower than other brands 26s nor wider than other brands 24s.  HUZZAH.

Tom

If I could download the latest ISO document (ISO 5775-1 2014) I would give you a quote. You'll just have to trust me when I point out the innaccuracies in your comments.

3 minutes ago, donkpow said:

If I could download the latest ISO document (ISO 5775-1 2014) I would give you a quote. You'll just have to trust me when I point out the innaccuracies in your comments.

Grab three rims and three 25s from different manufactures. Measure each combination. Report back with your findings.

Tom

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Grab three rims and three 25s from different manufactures. Measure each combination. Report back with your findings.

Tom

A better test would be to grab three 25 mm tires from three different mfrs, put each on a rim in turn, and measure. Then not report my findings and watch you continue to flail about.

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Tom

I have never measured the differences but I have been under the understanding that 3 tires of the same nominal size from 3 different vendors mounted on the same rims, inflated to the same pressure could all measure different widths.  Some times by as much as 2mm.

1 minute ago, donkpow said:

A better test would be to grab three 25 mm tires from three different mfrs, put each on a rim in turn, and measure. Then not report my findings and watch you continue to flail about.

I'm cool with that!  Would you guess they would all = 25.0 mm?  Or that they would be different widths? Or even different total circumference? Where do you stand on this topic?

Tom

Just now, Kzoo said:

I have never measured the differences but I have been under the understanding that 3 tires of the same nominal size from 3 different vendors mounted on the same rims, inflated to the same pressure could all measure different widths.  Some times by as much as 2mm.

Are you trying to mess with Don? You do realize he has "POW!!!" in his name, correct????

Tom

Just now, Razors Edge said:

I'm cool with that!  Would you guess they would all = 25.0 mm?  Or that they would be different widths? Or even different total circumference? Where do you stand on this topic?

Tom

Assuming the rim dimensions are the same as established by the ISO standard for determining the width of a tire, I would expect all three tires would measuring very close to the same. Circumference or overall height isn't accounted for in the standard, ASFAIK. I don't stand anywhere near this stuff. 

49 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Why buy your own when you can steal them from the shop?

Not steal, borrow.  We are a small shop with very specific specialty tools.  The guys are free to use them if needed, they just have to tell me they are taking them and when they are expected to be back.  We are small enough to know if they do not come back, who has them.  

42 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

You never want to get caught smuggling them back in.......

Don't have to smuggle, mainly because I am the boss and can just bring them back.  I just always make sure someone sees me put them back.  

34 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Not steal, borrow.  We are a small shop with very specific specialty tools.  The guys are free to use them if needed, they just have to tell me they are taking them and when they are expected to be back.  We are small enough to know if they do not come back, who has them.  

Don't have to smuggle, mainly because I am the boss and can just bring them back.  I just always make sure someone sees me put them back.  

Do you work with this guy? He has the skill to go with your tools!

Tom

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, Further said:

2006   It looks like a fair amount clearance around the 25's

I've got an 2007 and Conti 28s are the limit for me. Any bigger would likely be an issue.

With the new disc brake set-ups, it is less of an issue for many bikes. I believe these are the Continental Grand Prix 4Season Clincher Road Tyre Black 700c x 28mm. 

IMG_3302.thumb.JPG.6e1390c90e5a04b174ea08b9992f1a52.JPGIMG_3307.thumb.JPG.384497097aff5b22d09cd675712bbe4e.JPGIMG_3305.thumb.JPG.23945f772a75bba1525df979e051ab7d.JPGIMG_3304.thumb.JPG.c8e35d27aad95972a1fe2c0f4880fa36.JPG

Tom

• Heart 1