Televised Sports / SportsCenter / Sports News

jsharr

Do you watch it?  I am pretty much a two sports guy.  Football and Hockey.  I do not enjoy watching baseball or soccer or basketball.  I do watch Formula 1 racing and some IRL and Nascar.

I do not tune in for any of the pre game or post game stuff and I definitely do not watch sports news or ESPN SportsCenter.  All the stats and figures give me a huge case of tired head and sap my will to live.

My oldest son cannot get enough sports news.  He knows player stats for many sports.  He knows coaches, players, records, etc.  He reads the scroll during games we watch together and if talk turns to news, I get tired head.

Does this make me a bad person?

No.  I love sports, have played a lot of them but rarely watch any of them.  I may check the scores, and will watch the last inning of the World Series (unless the red sox are in it then I'll watch the whole thing).  I will watch the end of the Superbowl.  (We don't even get all the super good commercials up here).

I suppose you could say I follow hockey in that I know who is doing well and who sucks, but that is it.  I have friends that like your son can follow numerous sports all at the same time.  I know some guys from here who planned a road trip to Chicago to see a hockey game, a football game, a baseball game and a basketball game.  Now that would be a fun week

• Heart 2

Great "background" noise while cooking or putzing around. Watching sports requires absolutely no brain function, so it is good for filling the silence when you want something to listen to, but don't want to actually think about anything beyond the task at hand.

Tom

Meh, I like college football.  I will occasionally watch big games.  NFL is OK?  I will watch it if it's on but don't make time out of my day to sit and watch.  I watch baseball this time of year some.  

Now when the Hoosiers are playing the basketball!!!!, WATCH OUT!  I will be watching.

For the most part I would rather watch my kids play sports.

52 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I will watch the end of the Superbowl. 

With American football just watching the end is understandable when you consider that the whole experience would be 60 minutes thrilling? entertainment crammed into 4 hours of television.

I regularly watch footie, rugger, F1, WRC, Moto GP, cycling, cricket, athletics, ladies triathlon, boxing, grid iron (if it live I record it and ff all the dead time) I'd watch some baseball but it never shown here, I love the cricket better of course. I used to like Sumo, but they stopped showing that, too. I watch a lot of sports.

• Heart 1

I enjoy watching F1 and college football if I have the time. I used to be a lot more interested, but being in Chicago when the Blackhawks won (and I really don't care about hockey), changed how I view being a fan. I still follow the Huskers, but I am not dying inside this season as I would have in years past. I also like watching the Husker women's VBall. 

I go out of my way to watch F1 and Nascar Cup racing but not so much the Indy cars.  I used to be a football nut but no more.  In fact most of the pro sports don't do it for me anymore.  I think the got spoiled by too much money and too much hype.  I am however a rabid UCONN women's basketball fan.  A long time ago in a galaxy far far away Womaxx and I worked for the team, before the team was famous.  Womaxx was the door guard on the players door at the end of the court and I collected tickets.  They were so unfamous back then that we stopped collecting tickets at half time and went to watch the game.

The only sport I routinely follow is pro bike racing.  So I get most of that on-line in the morning from Europe.

I'll watch the Super Bowl, the NBA finals (depending on who is playing), maybe game 7 or the world series.

I do like to watch non-mainstream sports, such as triathlon, ski racing and so forth.  If I bump into I'll watch, but won't plan around it.

I'd never sit and watch ESPN Sports Center or the equivalent.  I get my sports news on the radio driving to and from work.  Dan Patrick, I like.

There is not enough time in the day/week/month/year to do the things I really want to do.  In recent years I've found myself stripping out the nonessential stuff - some of the sports themselves are casualties, much less SC.  Boo-yah!

and sports talk radio is almost as bad as political talk radio.

22 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

There is not enough time in the day/week/month/year to do the things I really want to do.  In recent years I've found myself stripping out the nonessential stuff - some of the sports themselves are casualties, much less SC.  Boo-yah!

and sports talk radio is almost as bad as political talk radio.

19 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

Yep.  Dan Lebatard, Colin Cowherd, Jim Rome, Doug Gottlieb.  Can't stand any of them.

Sports Radio 1310 The Ticket in Dallas is acutally more guy talk than sports talk, esp the AM drive.  It is sort of like The Cafe on the radio to me.  I do not consider it sports talk.

7 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Sports Radio 1310 The Ticket in Dallas is acutally more guy talk than sports talk, esp the AM drive.  It is sort of like The Cafe on the radio to me.  I do not consider it sports talk.

That's how I view the Dan Patrick Show.  Bunch of guys hanging around shooting the shit.  Some sports mixed in, but not nerd analysis.  And no politics.

• Heart 1

I love football - NFL and college.  Thursday night, Saturday night, Sunday night and little on Saturday afternoon but usually too busy during nice weather for Saturday afternoon.  I enjoy basketball - mostly college but I won't turn off a good NBA game.  NASCAR is fun to fall asleep to during the winter months - wake up in the lat 25 laps to catch the real action.  I just have basic cable so sports news shows are out but I've never been a big fan.

• Heart 1