Are you gonna get sick this winter?

Randomguy

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Yes.  I always get sick of winter.

I used to love winter, and I used to love fall even more.  

I have been feeling down lately and I know the End Of Summer is a contributing factor (though only one of many).

I was never like this!  I suppose I'm right on schedule with "middle age". 

3 hours ago, Kzoo said:

You work in an environment with hundreds of kids, of which at least 16.9% of them are carrying communicable diseases with them at any one time.  You have no chance.

But I have done it for 30 years so I should be immune. 

6 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

No, I refuse to get sick, it is a sign of weakness. Diet and exercise, good personal hygiene. It helps to stay away from loose women in seedy Cleveland bars too. 

I was in a seedy Cleveland bar this summer. As you can see I did a good job avoiding the women in the bar. Guess that means I won't get sick this winter. 

IMG_2168.JPG

• Heart 1

29 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Yes.  Spent as much time as I do breathing recirculated air and your chances of catching something are near 100%. 

Definitely.  When I used to fly cross country a lot, I would catch a cold or something worse at least 50% of the time, or at least it seemed that way.  Shorter flights weren't as bad.

When I taught in a no-open-windows school with 2900 teens, 140 teachers plus support staff, there were always plenty of germs circulating and times kids stuck their heads 6" from mine and said "I feel sick!"  It was difficult not to be out for a few days each Winter and to sometimes work while not feeling well.  Those of us who got our flu shots each year, though, tended to retire with a lot more unused sick days than those who didn't: I had 175, though I was coaching sports most years and in good physical shape which surely helped.

So now I still get the flu shot each Fall and am not in an environment where I'm bombarded with germs.  Hopefully that will minimize getting sick.

• 3 months later...

I had a viral sinus infection most of December and a bacterial bronchitis most of January, accompanied and followed by shortness of breath after lifting light stuff, raking, etc.

All that infection is gone now and the breathing is returning to normal (I'm going to get my PCP give me an X-ray just to make sure, but he examined my lungs on 12/4, 1/4, and 1/18 and said their good and I had 3-day heart tests that said its good) and I'm feeling exceptionally good now because having emerged from all that.

The podiatrist who examine my sprained-but-basically-ok ankle today asked me to forgive him for not shaking hands because he's just been sick for three weeks and doesn't want to catch or infect - so many are sick this winter.  Then I did some grocery shopping and the cashier was rubbing her hands with Purell between customers.

• Heart 1

Got it the first time on New Years Eve. That kept me from work for a couple days and from working out for over a week. It was going around the office. Hard to avoid!

I got the 2nd round during my Mom’s hospital stay. This was all congestion and COUGH! I checked with the Doctor. Said as long as I took the meds prescribed, work was ok, but no workouts for a few days. The cough has finally started to let up a bit. Good thing. My whole rib cage aches!