Y'know a garage home plan isn't such a bad idea

Dirtyhip

Someone suggested a carriage house.  You guys are often very smart  We have been going back and forth on the plans, and I found this one.

I kinda like this a bit better.  The views from a second story would be pretty killer on our lot.  We need to make a good decision, before we go to drafting.  

@Thaddeus Kosciuszko, tell me issues you think this house might have.

https://www.monsterhouseplans.com/house-plans/any-style/877-sq-ft-home-2-story-2-bedroom-2-bath-house-plans-plan40-595.html

The garage doors will face north.  We will add another window on the living room side (which is west).  Bed can be on the east wall, which is good for natural energy.

BIG bike storage.  Room for a trailer, and a vehicle.  No carport needed.  This will retain lots of land space too, for veggie gardening.  

Also, I can run around without clothes, and not really need much blinds.  2nd story, and the homes around are all one story. 

What is so great about that one room?

Ok, I have looked, and I like it.  However, do you always want to be walking up stairs, every time, to get to your living area?  Houses over garages tend to be cooler/colder, as well, unless you heat the garage.

What did the other plans look like?

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

The one they call the "great room".  I rolled my eyes hard just there, but in a fun way.

OH, damn....I can be dense.  I am too literal.  

It is great, because it is large, I guess.

I hadn't considered the heat issue.  Hmmm. The garage should be insulated.  The temps in the town are not like this one.  It is much warmer there.  

The long skinny part of the garage will be finished and heated. It will be a workout room.

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I hadn't considered the heat issue.  Hmmm. The garage should be insulated.  The temps in the town are not like this one.  It is much warmer there.  

The long skinny part of the garage will be finished and heated. It will be a workout room.

Ah.  It is a consideration, though, I very briefly lived in a room above the garage, that room was 20 degrees cooler in winter than the half that wasn't above the garage.  Yeah, the insulation sucked, although every time that door opens, cold wintry death gets blown in.

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Ok, I also don't understand how a design would have a whole wall with no fucking windows.  Wth?

I think that you can install them anywhere.  You customize, right.  

We plan to add a window on that side.  The bedroom won't need another window, cause our bed will be there.  Or, we can add two smaller windows t the side of the bed, like above the night tables.

• Heart 1

Stairs should be ok.  Remember, I am a badass.

Also, I plan to remain ambulatory.  If that changes, we can install a chair lift.

You are more badass than me.  I have had bad knees forever, and it sucks to have to climb when the knees aren't having it.

I love the idea of the heated workout room, but you probably aren't going to heat it all the time, are you?

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

You are more badass than me.  I have had bad knees forever, and it sucks to have to climb when the knees aren't having it.

I love the idea of the heated workout room, but you probably aren't going to heat it all the time, are you?

Most likely not.  We could even do something low budget like cadet wall type, and turn 'em off.

Keep the questions coming.  I have to think of everything before the draft table.  I don't want changes, later.

and no fucking skylights.  They are a waste of energy and tend to cause problems.  I had one at the forest house, and it sucked.

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Don't tell that to Cheese!

Yeah, but if I have casement he will still be envious.    

<smirk>

Honestly, not sure if we want to spring for casement.  This building a home thing needs to stay on the sane side of affordability.

Did you notice ... spare room still. <hint>

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Like I said, chair lift, if I become a mess.  Which I hope will never happen.

Most likely not.  We could even do something low budget like cadet wall type, and turn 'em off.

Keep the questions coming.  I have to think of everything before the draft table.  I don't want changes, later.

and no fucking skylights.  They are a waste of energy and tend to cause problems.  I had one at the forest house, and it sucked.

You should probably get skylights.

Are you doing a wood fired stove?  Geothermal heat?  Solar panels?  Where is the pantry?  Servants quarters?  Coach house?

I also don't see a stable for TER's horses when she comes visiting.

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

You should probably get skylights.

Are you doing a wood fired stove?  Geothermal heat?  Solar panels?  Where is the pantry?  Servants quarters?  Coach house?

I also don't see a stable for TER's horses when she comes visiting.

No skylights

I would like a stove, my husband isn't thrilled with that idea. He wants to invest in a nice generator, instead.  The wood gathering is a pain.  We plan to install a pantry next to the last cabinet.  Like, extend the kitchen cabs slightly to accommodate a small pantry.

Horses are bullshit. They are not allowed anywhere near our property.  Dogs have free reign tho. 

Servants quarters? Guests are expected to help.  I have some gloves for you, when you visit for trail work and gardening.  HAHA

5 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Re consider the heat issue as garage doors are not particularly well insulated, nor do they seal well to keep out drafts.  Any room with garage doors is going to be an energy hog if you try to heat it.  If you do not heat it then you will need to insulate the rest of the house from it.

• Heart 1

The idiot that suggested a carriage house because of your initial want list has probably built a couple hundred homes.  That is what you need if you want maximum utility space on a small lot.  No skylights.  I never met one that didn't have leak potential.  Insulate with closed cell foam between floors.  That will prevent exhaust gas etc from entering the living section and will keep your toes toasty warm.  I would nix the bay window in the kitchen, add a sliding glass door to a deck with stairs to the back yard.  convenient and you always want at least two ways out of a home in case of fire. 

• Heart 2

I agree with insulating well between the garage and the house.  Overall I love the idea--- and if you put the lift in it will allow you both to age in place.  With that in mind, make at least one shower roll in for when you are really old.

• Heart 2

My sons room is over the garage and it is insulated.  His room is the hottest in the summer and coldest in the winter... Being over such a large open space does affect the temperature of the house.  The other issue for me is always having to go up stairs. Groceries have to go up, all furniture has to go up, buy a new...... it has to go up.  Where will laundry be, in the house or garage?

I think its a smart use of space and you do have privacy up there though.

28 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

Dirty Hip:

What is going on here?  Last I remember you own a couple homes and were in a big hurry to terminate the mortgages.  

We can sell the large country rental and pay cash for the build. It's all ours. We can either keep our residential home here or sell that as well and invest the cash. My plan is to pay all cash for the build.

This home is for a new lot we bought this summer. Retirement home in MTB and recreational paradise.

17 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My sons room is over the garage and it is insulated.  His room is the hottest in the summer and coldest in the winter... Being over such a large open space does affect the temperature of the house.  The other issue for me is always having to go up stairs. Groceries have to go up, all furniture has to go up, buy a new...... it has to go up.  Where will laundry be, in the house or garage?

I think its a smart use of space and you do have privacy up there though.

Dumwaiter for grocery could be installed. Laundry is a stacked unit on top floor. We intend on paying people to help us move things in. When we need new shit, we may just have to pay. 

Laundry is planned for the top floor. 

Really, if we become truly disabled, we may have to move anyway. We won't need a gigantic garage for toys or a private workout room. 

I hadn't considered Wilburs fire issue. Hmmm. It is almost surrounded by forest, but there will be no trees near the house. Just fruit trees that we intend to keep small. 

9 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

We can sell the large country rental and pay cash for the build. It's all ours. We can either keep our residential home here or sell that as well and invest the cash. My plan is to pay all cash for the build.

This home is for a new lot we bought this summer. Retirement home in MTB and recreational paradise.

Dumwaiter for grocery could be installed. Laundry is a stacked unit on top floor. We intend on paying people to help us move things in. When we need new shit, we may just have to pay. 

Really, if we become truly disabled, we may have to move anyway. We won't need a gigantic garage for toys or a private workout room. 

I hadn't considered Wilburs fire issue. Hmmm. It is almost surrounded by forest, but there will be no trees near the house. Just fruit trees that we intend to keep small. 

Also think of wiring short (uncommon) or laptop/phone battery fire.  Most house fires start within the home.

Stairs are great exercise and you are right, if you can't do them, it would be time to move.  

7 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Nice.  Congratulations.

Here's another thought.  Build your living space in a basement with garage above.  Make the elevation of the house appear as if it is a home, not a garage.  Benefits?  The ambient temp below ground is fairly constant and will require a minimal amount of heating in winter and cooling in summer.  Dumbwaiter is a capital idea.

14 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Sounds like you are cool with the concept then.  Just posting concerns to consider but if you really like the lay out then the nit noid concerns can all be overcome.

We have a 2 story now but just the bedrooms are upstairs. Bringing everything up would be a PITA for me but that's just me. 

11 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Closed cell?  Closed cell is sprayed in place and it expands.  There is very little heat loss as there is zero circulation of air. 

Good point, no they put that fluffy pink stuff you roll out and just in the garage ceiling. Apparently I have a 2nd phase unit. 1st phase didn't even do that and that room is like an icebox/sweatbox.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Good point, no they put that fluffy pink stuff you roll out and just in the garage ceiling. Apparently I have a 2nd phase unit. 1st phase didn't even do that and that room is like an icebox/sweatbox.

That should be outlawed in a garage.  It does nothing to prevent Co2 penetration of the living space and very little for thermal protection. 

• Awesome 1

19 minutes ago, Goat Geddah said:

Nice.  Congratulations.

Here's another thought.  Build your living space in a basement with garage above.  Make the elevation of the house appear as if it is a home, not a garage.  Benefits?  The ambient temp below ground is fairly constant and will require a minimal amount of heating in winter and cooling in summer.  Dumbwaiter is a capital idea.

We want space for a smallish rec trailer and truck parking on a lot that is semi triangular.  Front entry garage.  The lot is very small.  like 60 x 100. It gets big at the back.  There is no access from the back. That is private property.

Lots is Oakridge are pretty darn small, and one of our requirements is being able to walk or ride to the grocery store. There are bigger lots up by a gold course, but the CCRs all want mini Mcmansions.  PLus the ride up to that zone is a death trap.  Big hill, no shoulder. Steep drop off the side and a guardrail. All the houses we saw for sale were garbage, or ridiculously huge and expensive.  Nothing fit our needs.  Most quaint homes had a one car garage. One car?  Where can you fit 12 bikes?  :scratchhead:

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

That should be outlawed in a garage.  It does nothing to prevent Co2 penetration of the living space and very little for thermal protection. 

Dunno... I only know it's in there as I screwed some hooks in the ceiling.  I missed a stud on one so pulled it out and it had that pink insulation on it... 

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I love these comments.  Keep the negative points coming.  I need to carefully consider everything, before the build.

Oh, and metal roof is what I would prefer as well.  Standard height ceilings, with an insulation barrier, in the roof area.  I hope this will dampen sound and insulate as well.  I do love the sound of the rain on a metal roof.  I was afraid of that, when we put a metal roof on our current place, but I love it now.

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

I love these comments.  Keep the negative points coming.  I need to carefully consider everything, before the build.

Oh, and metal roof is what I would prefer as well.  Standard height ceilings, with an insulation barrier, in the roof area.  I hope this will dampen sound and insulate as well.  I do love the sound of the rain on a metal roof.  I was afraid of that, when we put a metal roof on our current place, but I love it now.

Ok, I remembered another couple of things about living above a garage, assuming you may actually keep a car in there.  The first is that you will need lots of sound insulation, especially if someone else will open the garage door and start/warm up a car in there while you are attempting to sleep.  I agree about the closed cell, too, I remember that when the garage door was opened, even if only briefly, then the upstairs would cool down noticeably after a while.

These sound like manageable things, plus you get all that extra storage, too.  Do you have room for an olympic size pool?

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Ok, I remembered another couple of things about living above a garage, assuming you may actually keep a car in there.  The first is that you will need lots of sound insulation, especially if someone else will open the garage door and start/warm up a car in there while you are attempting to sleep.  I agree about the closed cell, too, I remember that when the garage door was opened, even if only briefly, then the upstairs would cool down noticeably after a while.

These sound like manageable things, plus you get all that extra storage, too.  Do you have room for an olympic size pool?

Pool?  LOL  

Do you think I am insane?  You bitches can go swim at Salmon Creek, if you want to swim. It's right across the street.  The water is beautiful and clear. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

Nice looking home. For one with 2 big freaking garage doors in front. That isn't my fav. But our old house had that as the sidewalk "feature" so I guess it didn't bother me too much. I really like our rear access garage here in Bend

Wilbur is right about the spray foam. That will seal up tight. You can do a small amount of spray foam then over insulate with dense pack. UTFG for that. Spray foam gets very expensive in thick amounts. And in (R)oakridge I'd be worried about finding a qualified applicator. GBA is a good resource. Don't worry about getting too far into the weeds with them. They can count fairies on the head of a pin pretty well

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/community/forum/passivhaus/37677/closed-cell-spray-foam-versus-dense-packed-cellulose-noise-control-

I'd think about a small toilet/wash tub in the downstairs. Come in from muddy riding and be able to wash up a bit before going upstairs. Garage door openers come with drivers on the rails so you don't have the big unit hanging down. That transmit sound through the connection point 

http://www.centstome.com/side-mount-garage-door-opener_D31675/side-mount-garage-door-opener-i40-on-top-home-decoration-idea-with-side-mount-garage-door-opener/

Look at double stud construction for well insulated walls. This guy is a bit of a kook but knows what he is talking about. You are going to want to control moisture movement over on the wet side of the State. 

https://buildingscience.com/documents/enclosures-that-work/high-r-value-wall-assemblies/high-r-value-double-stud-wall-construction

And a mini split system for heating a small space like you are doing. I have seen 1 mini split do the area you have planned. But 2 is probably better. One in master bedroom and one out in the Great room. No big furnace. Which is now advised to be inside the building envelope. Which eats up SF

https://energy.gov/energysaver/ductless-mini-split-heat-pumps

hth

• Heart 2

I like the layout for a small place.  I would enjoy the balcony.  As someone said, a small bath in the garage would be handy.  You could do it just opposite the water heater under the dining area.  You would need to take at least a few inches from both haves of the garage but that would be minimal.   I like the metal roof idea and yes you should consider both a quiet mount and quiet garage door openers - that's doable. We have a nice bed and bath space above our garage that Daughter#2 used for a while.  Her biggest complaint was the garage door openers. 

Why did you ask Thaddeus for advice?  He'll just design you a stinkin' FORT!

My only suggestion would have been to spend more time than you think you need planning then picking aprt those plans, but you seem to have that figured out.  Nothing worse then building from scratch only to find out "Wow, we could have...."

20 minutes ago, 12string said:

Why did you ask Thaddeus for advice?  He'll just design you a stinkin' FORT!

My only suggestion would have been to spend more time than you think you need planning then picking aprt those plans, but you seem to have that figured out.  Nothing worse then building from scratch only to find out "Wow, we could have...."

He seems to think of things that I hadn't, in the past. 

Also, he seems to be analytical and does seem to understand home builds, or he portrays that. 

I am really putting a ton of thought into this.  I want all the negative feedback that you guys can muster.